Straight to the point

Options
I'm a little less than half way through my journey. I was working out at the gym and had a trainer, who was heavier than me, try and give me diet advice. Would any of you feel comfortable taking diet or workout advice from a fat trainer?

Replies

• jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Ok, I see where your coming from here but you should probably keep in mind that just because the trainer is overweight does not mean that he/she does not have the knowledge to get you where your trying to go. Perhaps there are unknown circumstances or simply a lack of control on their part.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Would any of you feel comfortable taking diet or workout advice from a fat trainer?
    Honestly, I would want to see before and after pictures of clients that they trained and the results they were able to attain.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from as well..and the fact is that not all trainers are knowledgeable about diet and nutrition. I had a trainer tell me that I needed to lose about 32 more pounds, well I'm almost 5"8 and weigh 135!! So that would put me around 100 lbs! Obviously I didn't listen and moved on. But if your happy with the exercise and fitness related things that this trainer is teaching you, then just say that your not interested in any diet tips and keep on with him. At the gym that I used to go to, they hired just about anyone to be trainers there. And these trainers didn't know much at all, but at the place I go to now they seem like they know a bit more. Finding a good trainer that's a good match for you, us hard. But you'll know when you've found the right person.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of the life guards at my local pool look incredibly out of shape. However, I know they have to do mandatory practise once a week & I'm still relying on them if I don't bob back up from under the water. As poster above said it doesn't matter so long as they have the skills & knowledge.

Your trainer may have been extremely active or a semi pro athlete at one point. People who stop competing at a high level can sometimes put on big gains. Failing that maybe the just like cake too much who knows.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It would make no difference to me. The trainer might really know what he's talking about but also happens to eat too much.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I had a session with a personal trainer a few months ago. He wasn't exactly skinny but the guy certainly knew his stuff and he really helped me out.

Would you not eat a dessert a skinny chef made?
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'd only listen to maybe 1% of the personal trainer population. The ones who've successfully taken average guys and helped them win large physique/bodybuilding shows. The rest of the trainers....in my experience, have less knowledge and experience than the average person on a fitness message board.

As far as an overweight trainers, no. I cannot relate to a person who lacks self control, at least from a fitness perspective. A regular joe looking trainer, yes if he/she had a fantastic resume with great clients. A couple pro bodybuilding trainers do not workout themselves yet are among the best trainers in the world.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Second what trojan_bb said.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would not take fitness advice from an overweight trainer. I'm also hesitant to take advice from an overweight doctor or nurse (unless I know them personally).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a little less than half way through my journey. I was working out at the gym and had a trainer, who was heavier than me, try and give me diet advice. Would any of you feel comfortable taking diet or workout advice from a fat trainer?
    I wouldn't take diet advice from any trainer no matter their size. The majority have very little nutrition knowledge and perpetuate more diet myths than a diet myth generator who's spent 10 years studying the best way to generate diet myths from the grand master of diet myths.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take diet advice from any trainer no matter their size. The majority have very little nutrition knowledge and perpetuate more diet myths than a diet myth generator who's spent 10 years studying the best way to generate diet myths from the grand master of diet myths.

Igm16ED.jpg:laugh:
  • moniquelovescats1
    moniquelovescats1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would want a trainer that lives what he or she teaches so that I can see the results and know they are competent. My mother once had a good looking, young doctor who constantly counseled her on smoking cessation. He was a favorite or hers and I really like him too, but guess what? HE smoked! That didn't make him any less right about her need to stop and she did cut WAY back to like 1 or less cigarettes per day after smoking for like 40 plus years. I guess my point is....do you like the trainer and does he motivate YOU to lose weight. If so, then stick with him. If not, use someone else.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Would any of you feel comfortable taking diet or workout advice from a fat trainer?

no
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My first thought was "no" but the more I think about it, the more I realize that even an overweight trainer may have come a long way from where they began and still be working at it, like me. I can relate to that. Plus weight isn't everything. A woman bigger than me led a Zumba class that I went to at my gym, and wow! That woman had the moves!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here is a question for ya (mrHonesty) : you are ~halfway through your journey, and could you give good diet advice? :wink:
    For me it's easier to give advice than to live it. Was he asking for your money/patronage? Anyway everyone has an opinion. But if the advice is anecdotal, eg. what worked for that one person so far, it may not apply to you in your current situation. Or it might. I tend to look for large studies published from reputable institutions (eg. AHA, AMA), so if an overweight trainer started quoting me those kinds of studies, I would probably tend to find him/her more credible regardless of his/her fitness. I might follow up by looking up the studies for more information or asking a doctor. There is a lot of good information available on the internet or at your local university library for free. There I gave you unsolicited advice, and I'm overweight. Sorry. :blushing: Human nature.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no I would not! Not to be rude but fat people along this lifestyle change have tried to tell me how I should eat....really, um,,,just no!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take advice from an overweight trainer. Just doesn't make sense to me. How are you going to tell me how to get in shape when clearly you need to be taking your own advice. Hypocrisy at its finest.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell from the description. Was he your trainer? or was this totally unsolicited? I usually discount unsolicited advice. It may be 100% spot on, but when I didn't ask for it I'm not in the right frame of mind to receive it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    At first I would say no - but he might also be quite knowledgeable - he may have chosen to be a trainer to gain the knowledge to address his own issues - he would totally relate to the challenges someone that is on the heavier side would face with their program. I might give him a chance - if he has no clue you will soon figure that out. He had to complete some training in order to be qualified.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well yes I would...just because they are over weight doesn't mean they don't know their stuff it just means they don't do what they know they need to do.

I tell my son all the time not to smoke...guess what I am a smoker...does that make my advice wrong??? No it makes me stupid and addicted and some might say hypocritcal...but it doesn't make my advice wrong.

Parents often say to their kids...do as I say not as I do.