Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Mopey guy is mopey.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Spot on. He was unknowable or a nerk. You don't say please to those I. The wrong.. you say please when requesting a benefit like a cookies. Him didn't like girlie correcting him.. jerk.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Eye rolling is contemptuous. He was not doing you a favor. He should have obeyed the sign.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I may have said "The sign said 'please', but that didn't seem to do any good."
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nah, you're good. I wonder if he leaves dirty dishes in the sink "because someone might want to use them later." That's a ridiculous excuse.
    More like leaving clean plates on the table "because someone might want to use them later."
    Doesn't actually sound too unreasonable like that :).
    Thing is I could have lifted them-not squatted it, but lifted the plates off
    Ah, so you just want him to be a little less lazy so you can be a little more lazy.
    I've never understood why people get so worked up about it.
    I've been moaned at for leaving plates on before because they were too heavy... but then it's my own setup which my friend was using for free - I just suggested she obviously DID need to improve her functional strength and should practice by taking the plates off :D.

From your original post:
    it's not very nice for someone else to come too if that's not a weight they can't use
    For a lot of people, 25kg each side is a base weight - would expect most males a little serious about their squats who do a warm up would be starting around that (and maybe women a bit more into it) - so I suspect if it's purely used for squatting, on average you're making it less convenient not more by getting this sign up and forcing people to remove weights. For MORE people the bar is not a weight they would use, but you're happy with that when it's for others, it seems.

That kind of horse pucky rationale would not make you many friends among the serious lifters that I know. There's a code among them, and if you are as serious as you claim to be, you'd know that. The brah leaving his weights on the bar gets labeled pretty quickly.

Clear the bar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

For a lot of people, 25kg each side is a base weight - would expect most males a little serious about their squats who do a warm up would be starting around that (and maybe women a bit more into it) - so I suspect if it's purely used for squatting, on average you're making it less convenient not more by getting this sign up and forcing people to remove weights. For MORE people the bar is not a weight they would use, but you're happy with that when it's for others, it seems.

Actually, I'd say most people start with a quick warm-up set of the bar or only slightly heavier. This is generally recognized as best practice to prevent injury.

This is NOT what this forum question is about... back to the point now guys.. .

Hi there, Madam Forum Police

OP I think you rode him pretty good and he was just a bit sore :tongue: You got what you wanted; now are you going to ask for another sign that says "no smart mouthing"? :wink:
  • gajones02
    gajones02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i still make my kids say please and thank you and you're welcome.

Can you still do this without getting into legal trouble?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I never got initiated into the 'serious lifters' club, so didn't have to learn by rote this 'code', nor any secret handsakes!
    I have tried warming up with the bar, but never seems worth it - as relatively it's little different to my weight.
    Seeing that I'm far from an amazing lifter and can easily warm up with 60-70kg (the heaviest plates I have are 20kg), my assertions seem reasonable (when I'm doing well, it barely feels l - so no, I am not joking (but not I did say MEN, though most squat rack users do tend to be men) - and yes, I have spent some time in comercial gym in the past. Generally those using the squat rack are doing a reasonable bit of weight (unless they're doing curls in there, anyway :) ).

Oh and - if there's space elsewhere, always thought it's a bit rude to use the squat rack for dead lifts - I do for my warm up if I don't have the big plates on (usually do my BP 5rm weight as the squat warmup) just so I can easily put the big plates on, but there's no one else that might want to use it.
    Overhead press and others, sure - I DO warmup with the bar and not much more for OHP.
    This is NOT what this forum question is about... back to the point now guys.. .
    Is the point to tell you that you're not talking about the point? :D
    ;)
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How about "would you mind taking the weights off because I find them too heavy to lift?" - then he can feel like he's helping someone out and maybe understand the rules, rather than being scolded by his mum.

So she should lie to keep his ego in check? You rack your weights. No need to say you can or cannot lift it. I can unrack someone else's 45 pound weights, but I shouldn't have to. I think trying to make it all "I'm just a weak girl and your'e a strong man" makes this even more wrong.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    many guys forget some females use the barbells and just assume a guy will come along next and use 1 plate as their warmup. Most guys warmup with 1 plate on each side for squats. Only ever seen a few guys squat or warmup with less and that's because they were beginners. Just an oversight on the guy's part I think.

I always leave 1 or 2 plates on the leg press machine since almost everyone does at least a plate due to nature of the machine. But guys should realize barbells are a different story and people use them for more than squats. Could be a person is going to use it to overhead press and wont want to warmup with 135lbs.

The main reason I hate when people don't unrack barbells is that a loaded barbell looks like it's being used. That annoys me much more than having to take off a plate or two.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How about "would you mind taking the weights off because I find them too heavy to lift?" - then he can feel like he's helping someone out and maybe understand the rules, rather than being scolded by his mum.

So she should lie to keep his ego in check? You rack your weights. No need to say you can or cannot lift it. I can unrack someone else's 45 pound weights, but I shouldn't have to. I think trying to make it all "I'm just a weak girl and your'e a strong man" makes this even more wrong.

it's not about keeping ego in check. it's that there are ways to get exactly what you want by diffusing a situation before it becomes a "situation". people blah blah blah about how someone is "in the right" but then whine whine whine the other person plays their hand. in most instances, i can get my way without resorting to pointing at signs, kissing butt, intimidation, or kowtowing. I just ask in a way that let's the other person keep their dignity while doing my bidding. no blowback, no eyerolling, no forum posting, next case.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    The main reason I hate when people don't unrack barbells is that a loaded barbell looks like it's being used. That annoys me much more than having to take off a plate or two.

I feel ya. I "clean up" the free weights area between sets. I dont mind. But the lack of etiquette causes confusion.

OP: You're fighting a war like the drug war. You wont win, so, why try. Just deal with the fact that you'll be asking people if they're done and call it a day. You'll also be racking their weights some days.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    So she should lie to keep his ego in check?
    Well, I didn't know that she was ok with it - it seemed a sensible assumption that was the reason for getting so worked up over someone else not doing 20 seconds of moving weights was because she COULDN'T or it would be considerably more effort, at least.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The guy got called out- and you are correct- he made a snide comment because he was butt hurt. If he had said that to me- I would have just said "I shouldn't have to ask you to do something you should be doing already"

I have NO issue calling people on their chit with re-racking. Totally insufferable.

I actually called a pair of guys out one time- the one went through his gorilla posturing- made extended eye contact with me (from easily 20-30 feet away since I wasn't working out at the time- was standing by the trainers desk) and did his 1 x 5 of upright presses- and then they go off and walked away- across the aisle toward the machines.

Half way arcoss the walk way- I started walked 5 feet in their direction and said raised my voice "YO YOU DONE WITH THAT ??"
    "oh yeah you can use it"
    "good- you can put your weights away then"
    OH um um um- yeah
    THANK YOU!!!

Needless to say EVERYONE in the free weight area heard me. I politely thanked him and moved on.

People are douches.
    For a lot of people, 25kg each side is a base weight - would expect most males a little serious about their squats who do a warm up would be starting around that (and maybe women a bit more into it) - so I suspect if it's purely used for squatting, on average you're making it less convenient not more by getting this sign up and forcing people to remove weights. For MORE people the bar is not a weight they would use, but you're happy with that when it's for others, it seem

incorrect.

I warm up with the bar- I do 2 x 8 + a mobility thing in between- then I add my first warm up weight. Leaving the weights on the bar is completely unacceptable.

it seemed a sensible assumption that was the reason for getting so worked up over someone else not doing 20 seconds of moving weights was because she COULDN'T

it's not sensible to assume someone can't move YOUR weights. it's sensible to assume it's rude as fu*k to leave them their for someone else to clean up. I can move every weight in the gym. But that doesn't mean I want to- should- or should have to.

If you can lift it. You can re-rack it.
    period.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would have said PLEASE learn how to read, *kitten*.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    incorrect.
    Are you 'a lot of people' or are you ".... male...."?
    If not, what you say in no way contradicts my assertions. I specifically mentioned males as women in general don't lift as much due to genetics and so on.
    it's not sensible to assume someone can't move YOUR weights.
    Why not? Why did you even say this?
    rude as fu*k to leave them their for someone else to clean up.
    You really feel that strongly over having to spend a few extra second moving some weights? A lot of things others do inconvienence me a lot more than that and I don't feel that strongly about them.
    On re-racking, this actually does annoy me a bit - when the weights rack is a way away. Thankfully, the last commercial gym I used regularly kept some weights on the floor around the squat rack. Otherwise the time taken DID start to add up as you karted all the weights over, avoiding other people and so on - which in the world so many want, someone else would have just done the exact reverse off.

I'd certainly prefer weights left on a bar to a rack the otherside of the gym!

(This is of course presuming the gym has an adequate amount of weights so none is short.)

And... just a thought.
    The time taken to get someone to put a notice up and so on, so everyone else conforms to the OP's wishes could have seen a lot of weights taken off bar :).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I made a suggestion in my gym the other week that maybe they put up a sign in front of the squat rack about taking the weights off after you've finished which they did which is brilliant !

But today I was using the chest fly machine waiting for the squat rack to be free as there was a youngish guy using it. He had 25kg plates on both sides. Anyways, he did a set and then started to walk away so I said and this is exactly how it went:

"Are you done with that?"
    "Yes, why?"
    "Could you take the weights of it"
    "Why?"
    "Well there's a sign asking you too and it's not very nice for someone else to come too if that's not a weight they can't use"
    "What if the next person wants to use that weight"
    "Well I'm using it next and I can't squat that weight"

So he reluctantly walks back and as he is taking off weights on one side I said thanks, then he walked round and did the other side and again before he was done lifting the weight off I said thanks very much. As he starts walking off he snidely turns and says something which I didn't hear so said excuse me, and he goes "a please would have been good"

I just thought what is that guys problem? Then I thought did I approach that situation wrong ? I NEVER speak up and I don't know what came over me today, the words were sort of out of my mouth before I thought about it and yes I'll admit I could have said "could you take the weights off it PLEASE" but I didn't think I was rude, or in the wrong for that matter!!!

He's just pissed, because you called him out on something that you legitimately had a right to call him out on.
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    He was rude. A please doesn't hurt but it is not like you were rude and you thanked him.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    People don't like to be corrected...a please would be nice. :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    it really depends on how he was dressed