Do you log zero calorie foods in your dairy?

Options
12346»

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Pickles are not zero calories at all :o 70cal/100g. So maybe 35cal for 1.
    And hot sauce might have 1cal/100g, so for a table spoon-ish, that would be 15cal.
    If you eat these frequently, because you view them as free foods, it might add up.
    I don't log water intake anymore either, since I know I get plenty enough, so it's not something I need to keep an eye on.

To get 15 calories of hot sauce according to your measure above... you'd need to eat 1500grams (there are 15 grams in a tablespoon - you would need to eat 100 tablespoons of hot sauce) or 6 cups of hot sauce. Better check your math...

Depends on the hot sauce - I calculated for sririachi, 1tbsp
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I did log everything even black coffee, plan tea for a while, but it was tedious. I started to have very obsessive tendencies being super strict and logging everything felt like I am on a roll to have an eating disorder.

I stopped doing it, and I just break through month log plateau, go figure!

I do not drink soda or chew gum anyway. I do not log spices , mustard, hot sauce, but of course I log dense condiments like mayo. I log pickles, and MFP never showed zero calories for it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    Log it all. You will not get a full nutritional picture if you do not log everything. Veggies contain a lot of nutrients and contribute to your carb count. Condiments like hot sauces contribute to sodium counts, which can get pretty high.

What if you don't really want a full nutritional picture?

I don't really look at that anyway and I am not concerned about my sodium levels so if something is insignificant to calorie count, like a dash of sauce or one lettuce leaf , then I do not bother logging it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Given you appear to often be netting below 1000 calories, and sometimes even negatives, I think the calories in your pickles are the last thing you should be concerned about, no offence.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Pickles are not zero calories at all :o 70cal/100g. So maybe 35cal for 1.
    And hot sauce might have 1cal/100g, so for a table spoon-ish, that would be 15cal.
    If you eat these frequently, because you view them as free foods, it might add up.
    I don't log water intake anymore either, since I know I get plenty enough, so it's not something I need to keep an eye on.

To get 15 calories of hot sauce according to your measure above... you'd need to eat 1500grams (there are 15 grams in a tablespoon - you would need to eat 100 tablespoons of hot sauce) or 6 cups of hot sauce. Better check your math...

Depends on the hot sauce - I calculated for sririachi, 1tbsp
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/659605/2
    Sriracha is 0 cal per 5g tsp. See NutritionData.self.com

What the heck are you buying? It ain't the real stuff - must have added fats in it to get a calorie count like that.
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a big deal when it comes to weight loss.

Nothing I've read has warned me about limiting my sodium intake. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Contributing to high blood pressure and whatnot aside, it is a major contributor to water retension.

I would agree with water retention but the latest studies have shown there is very little (if any) link between salt intake and blood pressure.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    nope. water and diet coke stay out. it takes more energy to add it than to drink it :P
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No. Sometimes I don't log very low calorie foods, either. 1/4 cup chopped onions, for example, is not going to make or break my calorie count.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sriracha has 5 cal per tsp, 100 mg sodium, 1 g carb (1 g sugar). If you pile it on, you pile on the sodium and sugar. Tabasco sauce has 1 cal per tsp, 28 mg sodium, 0 sugar.

Not all hot sauces are alike.
  • DukeCityDan
    DukeCityDan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i log all foods and calories... Especially with hot sauce, i am trying ( but failing lol) to watch my sodium and hot sauce contains tons of it.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I log everything such as fruits and vegetables and sauces. Even if the calorie amounts are small, they're still there.The only thing I don't log is water which I can add anyway with the glass of water counter.