Ack! Better work that off!

Options

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How do I go about changing my macros? I just have it basically on default for a 1 lb per week loss
    GOALS> CHANGE GOALS > custom... then change the percentages.

I do 40% carb/ 30% fat/ 30% protein

you can do whatever you like.

Thanks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low. Don't worry so much about going over on fat, MFP has their fat goal set low. But you should be aiming to hit your calorie goal, not come in significantly under it.

I also wonder about your logging though-- butter toast, 2 oz for 28 calories? That doesn't seem right. Unless I'm not understanding what it is. Toast (just the bread) runs me 70 calories per slice, so 140 for two pieces.

I started out using the basic one serving is two slices, which they had set at 8 oz. When I weighed mine, it only came in at 2 oz for BOTH pieces, then I go in and add in extra butter, usually about 20 grams total ( I do see that I logged that one wrong today)

I am really low on my calories today, I just did not feel like eating a lot this morning, so I pretty much was forcing the eggs down, and ended up feeding some to my son. I've got 4 hours until I actually have dinner, so I'll try to figure out something by then to get me closer to my goal
    '

Then the entry you're using is incorrect. Are you using store bought bread? Mine is Nature's Own Honey Wheat. So I search for that, and then double check the entry against the package.

Since the database is user-entered there are lots of inaccurate entries. You've got to be careful. If you're using bakery bread that doesn't have a nutrition label then search for "french bread" or "italian bread" or whatever kind it is, and then pick the entry that doesn't have an asterisk. That's the USDA entry and it's the most accurate. It should have several serving options, including one for weight. Usually bread is around 70 calories per ounce.
  • MamaRiss
    Options
    Your calories are too low. Don't worry so much about going over on fat, MFP has their fat goal set low. But you should be aiming to hit your calorie goal, not come in significantly under it.

I also wonder about your logging though-- butter toast, 2 oz for 28 calories? That doesn't seem right. Unless I'm not understanding what it is. Toast (just the bread) runs me 70 calories per slice, so 140 for two pieces.

I started out using the basic one serving is two slices, which they had set at 8 oz. When I weighed mine, it only came in at 2 oz for BOTH pieces, then I go in and add in extra butter, usually about 20 grams total ( I do see that I logged that one wrong today)

I am really low on my calories today, I just did not feel like eating a lot this morning, so I pretty much was forcing the eggs down, and ended up feeding some to my son. I've got 4 hours until I actually have dinner, so I'll try to figure out something by then to get me closer to my goal
    '

Then the entry you're using is incorrect. Are you using store bought bread? Mine is Nature's Own Honey Wheat. So I search for that, and then double check the entry against the package.

Since the database is user-entered there are lots of inaccurate entries. You've got to be careful. If you're using bakery bread that doesn't have a nutrition label then search for "french bread" or "italian bread" or whatever kind it is, and then pick the entry that doesn't have an asterisk. That's the USDA entry and it's the most accurate. It should have several serving options, including one for weight. Usually bread is around 70 calories per ounce.

I'll look around a bit more then. I'm using bakery sandwich bread. I did not know what the asterisks meant, so I will definitely look for a USDA entry
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1) Some things in your diary seem to be underestimating calories, I agree with another poster
    2) Losing weight means less calories, not less fat, what you eat will not affect your weight loss, as long as the calories in are lower than calories you burn
    3) A diet hight in fat and especially animal fat (and for me personally what you eat is high in fat although I am sure others will disagree) will affect your health on the long run, no matter if you are thin or not, in shape or not. And exercising will not change this.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    thinking of food in terms of how long you will have to exercise to burn it off is indicative of a bad relationship with food. you should enjoy a moderate portion of pizza bread on occasion and NOT think twice about exercise. food is not the enemy! just don't have a half gallon of ice cream for dessert after your pizza bread and you're still good to go.

it's one thing to make sure you get your exercise in most days of the week so you have more calories to eat throughout the day; it's another thing to try to exercise off calories when you have gone over your calorie goal (or in this case, your macro goal). for what it's worth, my macros are set to 45% fat and that works great for my body. you just have to find what works well for you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    3) A diet hight in fat and especially animal fat (and for me personally what you eat is high in fat although I am sure others will disagree) will affect your health on the long run, no matter if you are thin or not, in shape or not. And exercising will not change this.

Wrong.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the hierarchy of needs in terms of nutrition are as follows:

Calories in vs calories out - or 'are you eating less than you're expending?'
    If it fits your macros - or 'is your Protein/Fat/Carbs split on point?'
    Sweat the small stuff - or 'Vitamins and minerals = micronutrients'

My advice is not to think about the next one down in the pyramid until you've got the one above it sorted out.

No point having a perfect macro split but going 1000 calories over or under your target.

No point meeting your RDA of all the vitamins if you're getting 60% daily fat.

Once you can meet your calorie goal within 100 calories consistently every day, then start thinking about which foods you can switch out to lower your fat or increase your protein etc without upsetting the daily calorie goal. Once you've got your daily calorie goal almost exactly within the macro split you're looking for, focus on your vitamin intake, your fibre levels, sodium, etc.

Once you've done that, you've pretty much mastered your nutritional intake - but don't forget, you can always take steps back down the ladder. Fancy some ice cream or pizza bread for a treat and can't fit it in your macros? Can you fit it into your calorie goal? All good! :)

Jay
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

My advice is not to think about the next one down in the pyramid until you've got the one above it sorted out.

No point having a perfect macro split but going 1000 calories over or under your target.

Once you can meet your calorie goal within 100 calories consistently every day, then start thinking about which foods you can switch out to lower your fat or increase your protein etc without upsetting the daily calorie goal. Once you've got your daily calorie goal almost exactly within the macro split you're looking for, focus on your vitamin intake, your fibre levels, sodium, etc.

Once you've done that, you've pretty much mastered your nutritional intake - but don't forget, you can always take steps back down the ladder. Fancy some ice cream or pizza bread for a treat and can't fit it in your macros? Can you fit it into your calorie goal? All good! :)

Jay

Nice
  • MamaRiss
    Options

Jay

Now that makes some sense to me. I've just felt so lost since coming on here, seeing so many different opinions. But this makes it nice and simple. I feel like I keep repeating myself, Thank you for your insight
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Jay

This is exactly how I went about weight loss. No point in overhwelming yourself right from the beginning. Keep it simple.

Edited for redundancy.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Physiology fail.
    Until you understand that you cannot outperform your nutrition, you'll not succeed.
    IMO you should pop out 100 pushups, body squats and knee tucks, within any time prior to bed to deplete glycogen in the muscle for that tasty treat to fill later.

...what???
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    People ARE nice on these forums...contrary to popular belief:laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm not. :devil:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

righttttttttttttt
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

righttttttttttttt

:heart:
  • MamaRiss
    Options
    Well I've found most of you to be fairly nice
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Physiology fail.
    Until you understand that you cannot outperform your nutrition, you'll not succeed.
    IMO you should pop out 100 pushups, body squats and knee tucks, within any time prior to bed to deplete glycogen in the muscle for that tasty treat to fill later.

uwotm8?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Jay

Nice

Yep.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Jay

A refreshing post given the poster is not one of the usual suspects for logical nutrition advice. Well done.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Jay

This is probably my favorite nutrition breakdown I have seen in a long time. :drinker: