Sitting next to each other on a date = inappropriate?

Options
Ohmydaze
Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
Where I work, we have plenty of regulars that prefer to sit next to each other, so I lay their tables accordingly, but they do tend to be older married couples. We don't really cater to young couples (I work at a golf club), so I've never served a young couple on a date, but I really like sitting at a 90 degree angle, or next to each other.

A few people I've mentioned it to think it's odd, and you should sit facing one another on a date, or it's even awkward for servers.

Is it? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    easy access
  • JefferyArnold
    JefferyArnold Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm more of the preference of across from. This way you can hold hands while looking at each other.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm more of the preference of across from. This way you can hold hands while looking at each other.

This!!

I went on a date where the man sat next to me and it was weird and claustrophobic .... But then maybe it was also cu I didn't click with him
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    If I really liked a guy, I might sit next to him. It's never happened though.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I like sitting across for ease of conversation and so I can look her in the eyes (boobs) when I talk to her.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my hubs and I sit next to each other in the booth instead of across from each other. :-)

At a table most of the time we sit 90 degrees instead of across from each other.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I generally go for a lap seat.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's inappropriate! But it isn't my preference. I prefer sitting 90 degrees at the table from my husband on a date so I can look at him and talk to him. (Or across. Either way.) Just not side-by-side. Just something I have noticed (which may or may not pertain to your golf club clientele) is sitting side-by-side seems to be an open invitation to be checking phones/tablets/etc rather than talking!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    even if im just out with a friend, I like to sit across from them. Means you can look at each other and have a conversation. The only time I sit next to my hubby is in the cinema
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    First date = across from each other.

Any other time I like 90degree, it's close but I am not wrecking my neck (that's for later that night) from turning to look at her all night.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I generally go for a lap seat.

Busy this weekend??
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    How is this even a question of appropriate or inappropriate?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Across. Always across.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think it is annoying. I don't like people sitting right next to me while I eat (unless it is Kate Hudson), and will always sit at a corner seat in a group arrangement so my right side is free.

http://lifehacker.com/5990596/always-choose-the-best-seat-at-any-multi-person-table
  • ReginaldBrontosaurus
    ReginaldBrontosaurus Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It has always been made fun of by everyone I know. We call it the triple S (same side sitters)
  • HunterKiller_deleted
    Options
    Sitting next to each other on a date =Bloody good snog
  • emkayelle91
    emkayelle91 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I prefer sitting across. Better eye contact, and I eat with my left hand, so I won't be hitting his elbow the entire time we're eating lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like sitting next to each other. Cheap feels are easier. :smokin:
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Honestly it just seems unnatural to sit next to each other on a date. I'd think you'd of course sit across from each other so you are looking directly at the person who is speaking. I had no idea that people did that.