Will Spinning make me fatter?

Options
13»

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes, exercise. That activity well documented for its ability to make people fatter.

Wait. That's not right.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If it made people fat, do you think it would still be a popular form of exercise?
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A colleague at work is insisting that Spinning will make me fat as it overworks the legs so it will make me bulky and it makes the thighs hold on to the fat as if there’s no tomorrow.

I googled the subject and I saw a lot of articles saying the same.

I can’t understand how a workout that can make me burn so many calories can “make me fat”. I think weight loss has to do with having a calorie deficit. Has any of you heard anything about Spinning “fattening up” people?
    Please share links to some of the articles that you found. I am always interested in learning.

Just google "Will Spinning make me fat" and you will see...
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This thought process came from a celebrity trainer named Tracy Anderson. She was doing an interview with some talk show and she made the claim that Spinning will bulk your legs up and cause you to gain weight. Although she trains famous people, she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about since she clearly has no knowledge of basic exercise physiology or kinesiology. The Spinning community makes it a top priority to keep up with all the up to date scientific information regarding exercise, and they released a statement to all instructors and on their website that this is not true.

Now for the bulky thighs part, right after taking a Spinning class you may experience "bulky" looking thighs. It is the same as when you do an arm workout and your arms are "pumped" up. That will go away after about 20-30 minutes once the lactic acid leaves and the blood flow regulates back to resting state. It's been clinically shown that cardiovascular classes like Spinning can actually aid in weight loss and calorie burn when following a healthy and reduced calorie diet.

As for the weight gain part. There is no exercise that will make you "gain weight" unless it is accompanied with an increase in calories. This is even the case with weight training. In order to "bulk" you need to be eating at a surplus.

So in short, no it's not true and feel free to Spin to your hearts content.
  • deisegirl34
    Options
    Thank God someone else asked this question. As I had also read lots lately about Spinning make people heavier. Although I knew it was insane you still kinda have a niggly doubt. I joined my local gym 5 weeks ago as I weight train 6 days a week in another gym and needed cardio. I play squash which is very hard on the joints and have fallen in love with spinning. Since I joined my gym 5 weeks ago along with the weight training I have gone spinning 6 days a week for the past 5 weeks. it gets me out of the house for 45 minutes and away from the hassle of kids and family life and I get to listen to some great music and getting all my stress out whilst spinning and it's so easy on my joints I haven't had a knee or back twinge. I have tried running in the past but I find my back or knee will start to play up but haven't found this with spinning so I think after reading the previous entries I will just have to close my ears to all the crap and concentrate on keeping up my consistent routine! Thanks!! :)
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! Worst thing i've ever heard! I lost over 50 lbs spinning (and with a good diet of course).
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get the leg "pump" after I bike...never sticks unfortunately, but man immediately after, I have amazing leg definition...:love: