personal trainer pissed off!

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    :huh: Well, this was interesting. Since you conduct your coaching business online, this will surely have no negative ramifications on your business whatsoever.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Shaddap and cash the checks. The ones that don't listen are referred to as "recurring revenue"
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this rant can apply to any profession EVER.

I advise clients for a living, they often don't listen, I still get paid. The end.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, I try to do everything he suggests except for one thing - which is eat protein after my gym visit - the reason I don't is that I can't physically eat after an evening gym session. I would be sick. I can manage about 5 almonds or 3 brazil nuts and that is it. All I do afterwards is have a shower then wind down and go to bed.

Apart from that he is also contactable by e-mail at any time and will always get back to me with answers to questions. So he is worth his weight in gold.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wow, the compassion and empathy you demonstrate toward your clients absolutely inspiring. It makes me want to run out and pay someone massive amounts of money so they can berate me and my personal struggles behind my back on a public forum. Kudos.

Yeah she's great eh and not taking this personally at all!

Some of us 'lame' people don't need PT's and can do it ourselves.

If you can do it yourself and are willing to, then you're not who the OP is talking about - she's complaining about the people who aren't willing to make the effort.

I think some people here could use a dose of reality.

I'm pretty sure every service provider that has ever existed has likely vented about some of their clients to someone, somewhere. They may even have exaggerated their feelings in an effort to relieve their frustration so they can give the client the service they have payed for without letting their frustration show. **GASP**

So what if it's on an internet forum - it's not like she used names, or even physically described any of them. If this is so offensive to most, then you'd better run and comment on the umpteen other rant threads that appear every day.

Honestly, would you rather have a PT that isn't passionate about whether you progress or not**?

**The above assumes the OP does not share these feelings with her clients.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get this. Try being an Elementary School teacher though...those little turds rarely do what you want them to!

I have a daughter in first grade. If her teacher called her a turd in this tone, I'd laugh - although her teacher lacks humor so I couldn't see it coming.

I can't imagine the frustration there. Thanks for teaching the little turds :)
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Way to handle your job...
  • giggitygoo
    Options
    PS: on behalf of people who actually DO listen to their trainers - I'm not offended by this rant. I secretly wish the time-wasters in good time slots would quit so I can take over.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get this. Try being an Elementary School teacher though...those little turds rarely do what you want them to!

I have a daughter in first grade. If her teacher called her a turd in this tone, I'd laugh - although her teacher lacks humor so I couldn't see it coming.

I can't imagine the frustration there. Thanks for teaching the little turds :)

Lol. I'm a secondary school teacher so I can relate to this! It can be frustrating.

I had a personal trainer and I lose a lot of weight. Obviously it wasn't just due to him - I was motivated, ate well, and did lots of exercise as well as our sessions. I have to say I didn't always agree with him regarding food though.

Unfortunately he hasn't trained me for ages as I'm pregnant and he has no prenatal training. Luckily I'm not fat and lazy and like wasting money (or whatever it is a previous poster said about pt clients) and I've still been exercising regularly.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    WOW! Teresa that was a vent... I would never hold you responsible for my failure... You have a great amount of knowledge and encourage your clients to educate themselves... You give comment sense advice... I don't pay you to stand next to me and yell at me to do the work or to remove the food from my face... that's not your job... you’re a good coach and I'm glad you're willing to put up with me... you can't fix stupid or rebellious… that other person is making a big mistake BIG HUG!

Teresa is it? Well Teresa, unless I'm misunderstanding, I'm seeing one of your client's reaction to your rant about another one of your clients. That's not very professional. Just, throwing that out there.

Rants are fun to write (and read), but not really productive, and could actually be harmful or at least awkward (see above). At best you'll be no more successful for the energy you spend on it. Better to divorce your ego from the frustrating trend you're seeing, and instead analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your program and approach. Use this as an opportunity to discover ways you can improve, and better ensure clients' success. Because bidness. But that's just me *shrug*.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Being a PT for quite some time now, I used to take clients that didn't follow instruction as personal. Now, I just roll with what they want to do. The majority of my clients do reach their goals and I haven't worked them them since. But I do have clients that just workout, pay the money and don't do much to improve their physique, but may be improving on their strength and fitness.
    I'm paid to figure out what will work for the client...................................but I can't do the work for them. If they want to keep paying me to figure it out, I'll keep doing it. But it's up to them for the "AHA" moment to kick in. Till then, I'll gladly keep working them out till they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The first part of your post with the Gene Wilder meme is inaccurate. Yes, I have regularly driven to the gym this winter to run on the treadmill - I can't safely run outside when it is well below zero degrees, dark, icy and the sidewalks are covered in snow. There are sometimes very good reasons for doing something that seems silly when put into meme form (what doesn't, really?). Perhaps the person walking on the treadmill at the gym lives where the sidewalks aren't safe, neighborhood isn't safe, weather doesn't permit outdoor exercise or perhaps that person just wants a level, even surface to walk on without having to worry about any regular road hazards. Who cares? If the person is going to the gym and working out, isn't that the point?

Seriously, this. Exercise is exercise. You have to start somewhere. I'm one of those I-hate-working-out-with-a-fiery-passion types. Some people are just like that. I want to be healthy and I'm trying to find things I like so I can be, so I walk. Walking burns calories, gets my heart rate up, & has me sweating buckets by the end of a half hour. I personally like walking on treadmills more than outside because I can push myself to walk at higher rates of speed and experiment with inclines without actually having to find a mountain to hike. What's wrong with that? It's a start, and who knows - maybe I'll work up to running!

I'd also like to point out that it not only costs a ton of money to hire a personal trainer, but takes a lot of courage, especially for someone who is very overweight. Your little rant is the reason I have never even looked into a personal trainer. I have no doubt I would be able to follow a plan just fine & be successful, but I don't need someone talking crap behind my back, laughing about how stupid I looked trying to lift some weight or do some exercise, or generally making me feel bad about myself. Being overweight draws enough negative attention, I don't need it from another source.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    PS: on behalf of people who actually DO listen to their trainers - I'm not offended by this rant. I secretly wish the time-wasters in good time slots would quit so I can take over.

except if all those "time-wasters" quit. then the PTs wouldn't have as many clients, nor would they then be making enough money, and they would then have to charge you even more..........
  • giggitygoo
    Options

except if all those "time-wasters" quit. then the PTs wouldn't have as many clients, nor would they then be making enough money, and they would then have to charge you even more..........

Touche smart guy ;-)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had a PT for a time last year. I think he enjoyed working with me, because there was nothing he could throw at me, that I would not do, no matter how hard. He was shocked the one time he gave me something that I could not complete without great difficulty...which was some exercises for my back, using a fitness ball... I have quite weak back muscles and boy did it really hurt. I would see no point in paying for a trainer, and not putting your all into it. Far too expensive to be wasting everyone's time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I make my clientele list easy.............................................I choose who to work out with. I consult, assess and work with them for a couple of weeks. If I feel they can continue to improve or aren't going to be a big pain in the *kitten*, then I continue with them. If not, I let them know that I'm probably not the best fit for them. And I've turned away quite a few people who went on with other trainers and either succeeded or not. Whatever the outcome, it worked out for both myself and them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The people I know who use PTs are fat and lazy and never improve because they think spending money means they don't have to put the work in.

Wow. I use a PT and I'm hardly fat. In fact, I've never been fat.

To the OP: I work my *kitten* off trying to do what my trainer tells me. Yes, there are periods of time I'm not as compliant with my nutrition as I should be, but you know what? Life is sometimes hard, and it gets in the way. I'd really be upset if I saw him posting this. Totally inappropriate IMHO...
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Everyone can get offended over everything.

I'm honestly wondering... for those who do use a personal trainer and take their advice, put the work in, and get results honestly be offended by your trainer saying something that has nothing to do with you? Chances are you would realize that they aren't talking about you and probably not be offended....

Do you never complain about your customers, coworkers, etc in any realm?

Do you really think doctors, nurses, dietitians etc don't get frustrated in the same manner with patients who do not listen to their advice? If your Dr sees a patient who does not follow his or her instructions and their health is declining because of it and they mention in a general way that they are frustrated when people don't follow advice and don't give specifics that you would really not want to go to that Dr?

We are all human. People can rant. People can react. It's how things work.

I have driven to the gym to walk on the treadmill since it's the only activity I can do. I could walk outside but not knowing if I will need to stop suddenly or make it back home I don't. Even more so, it's cold and wet and I don't want to eb cold and wet. I'm a sissy. I know. I'm fine with it! Rather be a sissy and walk on a treadmill than be cold and wet which makes me crabby!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I make my clientele list easy.............................................I choose who to work out with. I consult, assess and work with them for a couple of weeks. If I feel they can continue to improve or aren't going to be a big pain in the *kitten*, then I continue with them. If not, I let them know that I'm probably not the best fit for them. And I've turned away quite a few people who went on with other trainers and either succeeded or not. Whatever the outcome, it worked out for both myself and them.

IDEA Fitness member
    I think if you don't wanna suck it up and take the money of people who aren't following plans right the above is definitely a better way of going about things than posting a massive online rant that at least one of your clients has now seen lol
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Everyone can get offended over everything.

I'm honestly wondering... for those who do use a personal trainer and take their advice, put the work in, and get results honestly be offended by your trainer saying something that has nothing to do with you? Chances are you would realize that they aren't talking about you and probably not be offended....

Do you never complain about your customers, coworkers, etc in any realm?

Do you really think doctors, nurses, dietitians etc don't get frustrated in the same manner with patients who do not listen to their advice? If your Dr sees a patient who does not follow his or her instructions and their health is declining because of it and they mention in a general way that they are frustrated when people don't follow advice and don't give specifics that you would really not want to go to that Dr?

We are all human. People can rant. People can react. It's how things work.

I have driven to the gym to walk on the treadmill since it's the only activity I can do. I could walk outside but not knowing if I will need to stop suddenly or make it back home I don't. Even more so, it's cold and wet and I don't want to eb cold and wet. I'm a sissy. I know. I'm fine with it! Rather be a sissy and walk on a treadmill than be cold and wet which makes me crabby!

I'm an instructional designer; I write training for employees out in the field. We also have a message board on our company intranet. I would never think to go online there and post a rant about team members not taking my training as I instructed them. I totally get needing to rant, but doing so in an environment where current or possible clients would see it is still unprofessional in my opinion.