Fed up with "advice" from non-MFP members

2»

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I am a police officer, and there is one particular sergeant on second shift that claims to know all there is to know about diet and exercise...he tries to tell me all the time that I am wrong and that I should be doing what he is doing...

And I might believe him if he didn't always eat fast food and weigh over 250 pounds.

Just ignore the ignorance. They just don't like the fact that we are losing weight in a healthy manner and know what we are talking about. Some people just have to be an expert on everything, when in fact they are ignorant of the truth (and oftentimes on purpose cause we are here to help them!)

For some of us 250 is our GOAL!:grumble:

Anyway, I have a co-worker exactly like this. Always has weight loss advise, but washes down her BP medicine every morning with McDonalds.

That guy who weighs 250 is my height...5'5"...and his waist is close to 48" without his belt. :)
  • Excellent advice as always, people - thank you so much.:smile:
    I shall smile nicely, and continue losing weight in the way I know will work, while he, poor man, is starving and becoming nutritionally deficient. And I will stay slender because I will have taught myself healthy eating for life! His beer belly will no doubt be peeking over the top of his jeans again one day.

Loved the anecdote about the 250lb police officer giving helpful tips!

Oh and I have recommended MFP to 3 of my colleagues, all of whom are finding it incredibly helpful.

*waves to Caz, Karen and Andrea*:bigsmile:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I really hate it when people expect you to starve yourself to get the weight off. I also hate it when skinny people tell me how to lose weight. Just do what you're doing, because you're doing it right.
    ~Kami
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    How about 'I'm SO glad that worked for you, but it just doesn't sound appealing to me AT ALL. Thanks, though.'

Really, people should just mind their own business unless their advice is solicited.
    Was out with a friend, who is pregnant, 2 nights ago and she was having a glass of wine (one a week, and backed by her doctor) when this RUDE woman stopped and lambasted her for drinking while pregnant.
    She let her finish then said, "Excuse me, you're interrupting my dinner.' And turned away.
    I bit my lip. Pricless.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    I've lost 4 pounds since I've been here but 15 total since I started. I had a friend do a "juice" diet and she lost 12 pounds in a week. I told her she was INSANE. Well, of course those 12 are back and brought 8 of their friends. I just say "thank you". and keep doing what I am doing.
    AMEN!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    28lbs lost and a very high % of it would be muscle resulting in lower BMR and increasing weight when he goes back to eating reguarly.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I've had a couple of friends trying to push the HCG diet on me. They've lost more weight than I have in a shorter period of time. I tell them I'm sticking to MFP and will do it the healthy way. I want to keep it off for good. I wonder how long before they gain back their weight and then some. So stick to your guns, you are doing great!
This discussion has been closed.