Abs Are Made in the Kitchen vs. Core Work

Options
Do you guys think that it's 50/50 when talking about "abs are made in the kitchen" and "core work"??? Or is it more 75/25? Say goal is just a flat stomach - having that ripped look is not necessary. Just flat is good. What if I didn't do core work at all? Is my food plan alone going to allow a flatter belly? What's the deal? .

Replies

default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes. If all you want is a flat midsection, it does not require working out of any kind.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You can get abs without a single minute of ab targeting work outs. You just have to reduce your body fat down extremely low.
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What they said.
    Do your aerobics to reduce your body fat. Eat healthy. Watch your salt and other bloating foods.

Personally, though, I like to be toned, so I do lots of abs/oblique work.

BTW, most women have a little bit of a belly - some curves of some sort. Being totally FLAT is just a little unrealistic.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nice! I do a little bit of core work though - prob only once or twice a week. Mostly cardio right now to blast flat off along with strict diet and no binges unless it's on veggies :)
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I guess I really need up my game with what I eat then (or don't eat). I am already fairly "tiny" and health-wise I am not overweight for my height and age. But all my cushy-ness is around my belly.

So....new mantra...say no to salt and fat?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nice! I do a little bit of core work though - prob only once or twice a week. Mostly cardio right now to blast flat off along with strict diet and no binges unless it's on veggies :)

Abs are made from a low BF%.

Cardio doesn't "blast fat". A caloric deficit does.

If you want a nice midsection, the best advice you're going to get is to have a MIX of cardio and strength training.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I guess I really need up my game with what I eat then (or don't eat). I am already fairly "tiny" and health-wise I am not overweight for my height and age. But all my cushy-ness is around my belly.

Why no fat? Your body needs it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's a combination, and not a percentage one way or the other as everyone will be different.

I have fairly low bodyfat, but my abs suck because i neglected them with direct training for a long time. I have other people I know who have significantly more bodyfat then I do yet still retain visible ab's.

Do occasional ab work with progressive overload as you would any other muscle, and eat at a mild calorie deficit in order to lose fat.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Abs are not made in the kitchen - abs are made by busting your midsection out - regularly and hardcore - getting a grip on your nutrition and dropping body fat will only make them visible!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

As someone who was dumb enough to try it, I would recommend not trying to completely eliminate fat. There are side effects that are not worth it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It's a combination, and not a percentage one way or the other as everyone will be different.

I have fairly low bodyfat, but my abs suck because i neglected them with direct training for a long time. I have other people I know who have significantly more bodyfat then I do yet still retain visible ab's.

Do occasional ab work with progressive overload as you would any other muscle, and eat at a mild calorie deficit in order to lose fat.

^ I agree with this. It's a combination of BOTH diet and work that gets you there.

I believe you should work the abs like you would any other muscle - with weights progressively.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Abs are not made in the kitchen - abs are made by busting your midsection out - regularly and hardcore - getting a grip on your nutrition and dropping body fat will only make them visible!

and to do that it's all about diet....I have some definition started and do no core work specifically.

There are women on here who did not do one situp and have beutiful flat abs all from lifting heavy and eating at a reasonable deficet.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work my core lightly once a week. I lift heavy and compound lifts really cause you to engage your core... thus working your core.

Ever since I began eating clean (yeah, I know, debated term but it's the best way to describe my diet. Diary is open if you want a look.) in early January my abs have popped, and they continue to show as I move along in my cut. Abs come out due to lower body fat percentages, so it's mostly eating at a deficit. I agree with some of the other posters, it's a combination of both how you eat and how you work them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You can do all the abs work you want sit-ups, oblique work etc...........doesn't matter. If you have a layer of fat over you midsection you will never have "toned" abs. Ahh, I hate that word "toned"
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Yes, it does, I know that. But perhaps I am eating too much of it. I am not super strict with my diet. I don't really want to be. But I am sure there are areas I could stand to improve on.

**I also think about things like that for my heart-health and overall health: diabetes - strokes, high blood pressure, etc run in my family.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leadfoot_Lewi -

I don't think it's all to do with diet alone. Mostly, yes, but weightlifting (not necessarily targeted core, just stuff that engages your whole body) might help.

Why do I say this? When I had an ED and my weight was dangerously low, my stomach was pretty flat but there was no definition - ie little muscle (granted, my body had eaten away much of anything so this might not be the same case for healthy-weight individuals).

So presumably to SEE the mystical coveted abs you have to have the proper diet to lower the % body fat, and also do some work so there's something to see?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

and to do that it's all about diet....I have some definition started and do no core work specifically.

There are women on here who did not do one situp and have beutiful flat abs all from lifting heavy and eating at a reasonable deficet.

Agreed - i just find it wrong to say abs are made in the kitchen.
    Nutrition bit but it is purelly a way to get rid of the layer of fat in your mid section but don't expect to have abs showing just by dropping body fat. Bust your midsection or go mental on heavy compound and then we talk abs!
  • RGv2
    Options

Yes, it does, I know that. But perhaps I am eating too much of it. I am not super strict with my diet. I don't really want to be. But I am sure there are areas I could stand to improve on.

**I also think about things like that for my heart-health and overall health: diabetes - strokes, high blood pressure, etc run in my family.

Eating too much fat doesn't equate increased fat on your body. Surplus in calories does, no matter where it comes from.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I think that the formula is a MINIMUM of .63 grams per pound of bodyweight - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, most people are misinformed about their "core." Core is back, glutes and obliques - the strongest muscles in your body. Work them with compound resistance exercises because they are super-important for physical health.

If you want a flat tummy - that's mostly body fat.