Abs Are Made in the Kitchen vs. Core Work

Options

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's a combination, and not a percentage one way or the other as everyone will be different.

I have fairly low bodyfat, but my abs suck because i neglected them with direct training for a long time. I have other people I know who have significantly more bodyfat then I do yet still retain visible ab's.

Do occasional ab work with progressive overload as you would any other muscle, and eat at a mild calorie deficit in order to lose fat.
    ^ I agree with this. It's a combination of BOTH diet and work that gets you there.

I believe you should work the abs like you would any other muscle - with weights progressively.

What those 2 said!

Also visible abs doesn't always equal strong core/abs. I like to see mines, but I need them to be strong too! Low body fat won't make them strong, weight lifting/core work will.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You can do all the abs work you want sit-ups, oblique work etc...........doesn't matter. If you have a layer of fat over you midsection you will never have "toned" abs. Ahh, I hate that word "toned"

No, but you'll have STRONG abs, and a strong core is important so it's not as if you're wasting your effort IMO.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    geezus......so much misinformation and opinions.

elaborate if you're going to call it out
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

+ 1
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I guess I really need up my game with what I eat then (or don't eat). I am already fairly "tiny" and health-wise I am not overweight for my height and age. But all my cushy-ness is around my belly.

So....new mantra...say no to salt and fat?

Why no fat? Your body needs it.

Yes, it does, I know that. But perhaps I am eating too much of it. I am not super strict with my diet. I don't really want to be. But I am sure there are areas I could stand to improve on.

**I also think about things like that for my heart-health and overall health: diabetes - strokes, high blood pressure, etc run in my family.

I think that the formula is a MINIMUM of .63 grams per pound of bodyweight - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, most people are misinformed about their "core." Core is back, glutes and obliques - the strongest muscles in your body. Work them with compound resistance exercises because they are super-important for physical health.

If you want a flat tummy - that's mostly body fat.

My fault. The formula is a minimum of 0.35 grams of fat per pound of LEAN body weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Sorry about the memory lapse.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So obviously continue to eat at a deficit, do cardio to help lose fat and strength train to work out core so it looks better when the layer of fat disappears from the belly area. Is core work outs twice a week for about 15 min each time ok?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't "blast fat". A caloric deficit does.

Cardio helps you get into a caloric deficit. I would like to think there is a correlation.

To cross it out entirely is misleading.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a flat stomach. Some muscle definition (there is a picture in my profile). I do very little core work and do not eat "clean". I "lift heavy" including squats, OHP, deads, etc.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've done zero isolation work. Purely losing weight at a moderate pace and weightlifting. I think my stomach is decently flat. Lots of patience. Stomach was the last area I lost from
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    <---kitchen abs. Extremely minimal core work.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Cardio helps you get into a caloric deficit. I would like to think there is a correlation.

Plenty on this site who avoid cardio and have abs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

For some people it helps with the calorie deficit. For others it just makes them more hungry making a deficit more difficult.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

For some people it helps with the calorie deficit. For others it just makes them more hungry making a deficit more difficult.

Amen. So true for me.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Amen. So true for me.

+1
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Well, I havent done any direct core work in several years.

Provided you have some base core muscle from other exercises, it's really mostly diet that determines how abs look. They can grow a little larger from direct work and be a little more visible at higher body fats, but still mostly diet that determines the look.

It might be more difficult for women, but for men, developing enough ab muscle to give defined abs at low bodyfat is pretty easy. It doesn't take much work or mass building to gain enough of an ab muscle base. Much easier than say, growing 18" arms. The look of the abs themselves is entirely genetic (spacing, symmetry, shape). The rest is just diet.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is talking about getting a six pack when the OP just wants it flat
  • LolBroScience
    Options

how much should I?

apparently some people on here have never been extremely over weight.....and just eating healthy and a calorie deficit isn't going to give you a abs.....sorry but they are wrong.

Now if you are already close to your goal weight or at it ....then yeah your stomach will look flat but its not muscular.....sorry......most of the abs in this thread that have said only eating.....look sick to me.......I see ribs.......that's not 6 pack...that's skin holding on to what's there.

So working out and eating at a calorie deficit is what works....for most. Like stated, working out whether its cardio or weight lifting which both burn calories and focuses on building muscle therefore giving you something to tighten up besides bones and organs.

wtf? There's 4 people on here who have Avi's which show their abs. And of those no one has ribs showing?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

how much should I?

apparently some people on here have never been extremely over weight.....and just eating healthy and a calorie deficit isn't going to give you a abs.....sorry but they are wrong.

Now if you are already close to your goal weight or at it ....then yeah your stomach will look flat but its not muscular.....sorry......most of the abs in this thread that have said only eating.....look sick to me.......I see ribs.......that's not 6 pack...that's skin holding on to what's there.

So working out and eating at a calorie deficit is what works....for most. Like stated, working out whether its cardio or weight lifting which both burn calories and focuses on building muscle therefore giving you something to tighten up besides bones and organs.

Wow, I'd love to know who you're talking about, since I don't see that at all.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well i guess im just gonna continue to eat at a deficit and do my cardio and some strength training in there too. Dumbbells (squats, deads, presses. prob some reverse crunches, bicycle crunches and reg crunches.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

how much should I?

Uhhhh.......yeah, no.