You can't build muscle at a calorie deficit? Why lift??

Options
1234568»

Replies

• iiRonin
    iiRonin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all you're wrong. Plain and simple everybody has their theories and "bro science" & whatnot but at the end of the day you gotta find out what's best for you. Compile all the information you can find on the matter and start making choices if one technique doesn't work try another. I've been on a couple month cut, eating 1600 calories
    A day, yea believe it! And I'm still building muscle which is why I know you're wrong.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    First of all you're wrong. Plain and simple everybody has their theories and "bro science" & whatnot but at the end of the day you gotta find out what's best for you. Compile all the information you can find on the matter and start making choices if one technique doesn't work try another. I've been on a couple month cut, eating 1600 calories
    A day, yea believe it! And I'm still building muscle which is why I know you're wrong.

If you're cutting, you're not bulking ... .believe it ... science.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

How much muscle? How are you figuring it?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

- for one thing, its a big part of being "all around fit" as you state your goal to be

- you can make considerable strength gains without putting on actual mass as your body learns to recruit the muscle you have and make neurological adaptations

- you preserve the muscle mass you have. muscle is a use it or lose it kind of thing. think of muscle as a very expensive commodity for your body to maintain...in a deficit of energy (calories) if you are not recruiting use of that muscle, there is really no reason for your body to hold onto that very expensive commodity. it thus becomes more efficient to burn off that lean mass in order to better cope with that deficit of energy. Using those muscles (weight training/strength training/resistance training) helps preserve that mass and maximizes fat loss. In the absence of resistance training you will lose a great deal of muscle mass along with the fat.

- when you preserve that muscle mass and shed fat, you get "toned". you have to have muscle to look "toned"...so if you're burning up a bunch of lean mass while you diet, you're not really going to have that "toned" look...because you will be lacking in muscle mass.

- It promotes fat-free body mass with decreasing sarcopenia.

- It increases bone density which in turn reduces your risk of osteoporosis.

- It Increases the strength of connective tissue, muscles, and tendons. This leads to improved motor performance and decreased injury risk.

- It burns more calories at rest as your body repairs what has been broken down in the training process

- It improves your quality of life as you gaining body confidence. Strength training will not only make you strong, but will also help with managing your weight.

This is brilliant.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bump