Mexico Resorts What to EAT?

Options
13»

Replies

• ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll be going to the Riviera Maya in three weeks. I hope you're getting excited like I am!

My advice would be the same as another poster's. Watch yourself during breakfast and lunch and eat a great dinner with your loved ones. Most of the restaurants at the resort I'm staying at don't open until the dinner hour anyways. Stay active during the day, which shouldn't be a problem with the amount of activities, especially if you have a little one :) I'm planning on visiting the workout center most mornings before the day starts and I'm too boozed up to care.

Of course your diabetes will change things. You'll have to really watch the ingredients of the food. Do not drink the water from the faucet. Drink the bottled water provided.

It's great that you're taking the initiative to stay on track during your vacation. Just have a great time.
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are staying in Playacar at one of the resorts, you can walk to town nightly. It is about two miles depending on where your staying and there is lots to see to keep you entertained. I will be heading there for a month in a few days, in the back of my mind I worry about weight gain, but will be very active on the beach, so I can drink and eat when and what I want. Stay busy and let it go for the week. You have the rest of the year to "be good". Hope you have a great vacation!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Mexican food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    There should be a good supply of fresh fish and do not forget the pork tacos, even if you take the shell off and eat the middle, the carnitas in Mexico is to die for.

Ceviche is also wonderful but it will have a lot of salt, just drink lots of bottled water to counter that.

I would go with the, eat what every you want that will not give you an insulin spike, thing. As long as you stay active and not eating baskets of tortillas, you will be fine.

If it is all inclusive, there will be a lot of options for healthy food. If not all inclusive, I suggest taking a cab to Walmart and buying food there. They have wonderful produce as well as baked goods. And it is cheap!

Have fun and enjoy your vacation. This is why we live healthy and do what we do 99% of the time. It is way more relaxing and enjoyable to be on vacation and not count calories than to stress over trying to fit everything into your macros.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I'm tentatively planning a trip and was wondering this, myself!

:drinker:
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There should be a good supply of fresh fish and do not forget the pork tacos, even if you take the shell off and eat the middle, the carnitas in Mexico is to die for.

Ceviche is also wonderful but it will have a lot of salt, just drink lots of bottled water to counter that.

I would go with the, eat what every you want that will not give you an insulin spike, thing. As long as you stay active and not eating baskets of tortillas, you will be fine.

If it is all inclusive, there will be a lot of options for healthy food. If not all inclusive, I suggest taking a cab to Walmart and buying food there. They have wonderful produce as well as baked goods. And it is cheap!

Have fun and enjoy your vacation. This is why we live healthy and do what we do 99% of the time. It is way more relaxing and enjoyable to be on vacation and not count calories than to stress over trying to fit everything into your macros.

I don't count calories anyways, just count carbs. But when im trying to lose weight I go try protein based breakies and suppers and have bread, rice or potato for lunch. Usually bread though. Lots of greek yogurt!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Riviera Maya! I've been there 4 times in the last year and a half (once for my honeymoon). I do relax a little bit when I go on vacation, but I still log my food and amp up the exercise.

I like to get the arrachera, which is a beef flank steak with seasoning. For me it's like fajitas without all of the extra calories. They also had fresh fish at the resorts that I've been to (a different one each time).

After the first day or so I just skipped the alcoholic drinks. I'm not a party pooper, but they water down the alcohol so much at the resorts that I had to pound the frozen drinks down and only got a slight buzz. It wasn't worth the calories to me.

We always go for walks along the beach (between 6-10 miles per day) or along 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen (so fun).

I never ate any fried food, but I did indulge in things that looked good. I took advantage of a buffet and took small servings of different things that I wouldn't normally eat. My husband and I would also split things too. We might get three different types of cake (tiny squares) and split them. If something wasn't worth the calories to me, then I didn't eat it.

Enjoy! I'm so jealous. :-)
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    #1 I won't be drinking alcohol or any liquid with calories for that matter.
    #2 I won't be eating deep fried foods or candy or chips and stuff.
    #3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

what's the point of going to Mexico again?

I second that. I went to Mexico and drank and ate everything I could find. Sure I gained 2 lbs. that week but it was worth it. So what if it takes a week or two to lose it again. That was my vacation and I wanted to live it up.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    #1 I won't be drinking alcohol or any liquid with calories for that matter.
    #2 I won't be eating deep fried foods or candy or chips and stuff.
    #3 I plan to swim every day. Chase my 2-year-old so he doesn't get the chance to run away on me.

what's the point of going to Mexico again?

I second that. I went to Mexico and drank and ate everything I could find. Sure I gained 2 lbs. that week but it was worth it. So what if it takes a week or two to lose it again. That was my vacation and I wanted to live it up.
    My point to go is to see a new place, soak up rays, relax while my mom watches my son, and play in the sand and water with my son and rest of the family (sister, 2 nephews and my mom) Eating will be just to live and function. Not going to pig out. That's dumb. I pig out at Xmas and other holidays that involve turkey :) Gaining ANY amount of weight is not worth it to me, unless of course it was pure muscle but we all know that aint gonna happen.