Sugar

Options
There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body.
    And these things would be?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you can go cold turkey for a week or two, most fruits taste as sweet as candy did.

Sadly, there's no magic pill for the will power.

Don't buy it and you won't eat it. That's all I got.
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    If you can go cold turkey for a week or two, most fruits taste as sweet as candy did.

But fruit has sugar, why keep feeding the addiction
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    In for sugar vs sugar .
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    alcohol to an alcoholics, like crack to a crack addict, like meth to a meth head, fired foods, sugary stuff, i have known people who are just addicted to food in general. One ate to the point she was on deaths door.. it took years and a lot of work to get her health back. there is such thing as moderation yes, but to an addict there is no such thing. an alcoholics cannot have just one drink, a crack addict cannot have just one smoke, a person hooked on sugar cannot have just one doughnut. They all hurt the body in different ways but they hurt none the less. people seem to laugh about the food addiction one, but yet it is just as dangerous to the body as other addictions. not to say there are not healthy addictions out there, running, swimming, boxing, exc..
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Where do we draw the line between personal responsibility and making diagnosis of things that seem like the perfect excuse to not adhere to our diets?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    alcohol to an alcoholics, like crack to a crack addict, like meth to a meth head, fired foods, sugary stuff, i have known people who are just addicted to food in general. One ate to the point she was on deaths door.. it took years and a lot of work to get her health back. there is such thing as moderation yes, but to an addict there is no such thing. an alcoholics cannot have just one drink, a crack addict cannot have just one smoke, a person hooked on sugar cannot have just one doughnut. They all hurt the body in different ways but they hurt none the less. people seem to laugh about the food addiction one, but yet it is just as dangerous to the body as other addictions. not to say there are not healthy addictions out there, running, swimming, boxing, exc..

Can a sugar addict have 1 grape? 1 glass of milk? 1 slice of an apple? Or they will all lead to a binge? If the answer is yes, then your above post is moot
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    We need food to live, we don't need drugs or alcohol. Food addiction is becoming an excuse, you will always need to consume food. Therefore, you're going to HAVE to develop some form of self-control and self-regulate intake. Food man, you can't escape it
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    We need food to live, we don't need drugs or alcohol. Food addiction is becoming an excuse, you will always need to consume food. Therefore, you're going to HAVE to develop some form of self-control and self-regulate intake. Food man, you can't escape it

Unless...photosynthesis. Plants know where it's at.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

That reminds me, I heard of a small cult of people who insist they can live off sunlight and air alone
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

That reminds me, I heard of a small cult of people who insist they can live off sunlight and air alone.
    Breatharians. :grumble:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But fruit has sugar, why keep feeding the addiction

You already know the answer.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

But photosynthesis makes sugar! Plants are the source of all of this evil!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

But photosynthesis makes sugar! Plants are the source of all of this evil!

I am then the queen of all evil, for I save my plants from the zombies on my lawn.
  • bcattoes
    Options

We don't need any added sugar. But you are correct, when your biggest weakness is something you really can't live without, reining that in may be as hard as giving up an addiction you never needed in the first place.

It all comes down to inner strength.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

There are a lot of people on here that will try to disprove that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Will tell you all sugars are the same, they are not, there is a difference in monosaccharides and disaccharides (for joy, some new stuff for all you people to google).

And addiction is an obsession of the mind...period. Most alcoholics are not physically addicted to alcohol. Gambling and sex addicts the same. It has to do with the reward system in the brain as well as with an obsession.

If you feel that once you start eating a disaccharide that you can not stop with one portion, you should cut it out of your life. Simple as that.

If you can not eat it in moderation, dont eat it at all, no matter how many people try to bully you into feeling shame for not being able to do it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Can a sugar addict have 1 grape? 1 glass of milk? 1 slice of an apple? Or they will all lead to a binge? If the answer is yes, then your above post is moot

So it is your contention that addicts can never learn moderation?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My left arm is not quite as strong as my right arm.

That's totally the same thing as being an amputee.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So it is your contention that addicts can never learn moderation?

Nope, if you actually read the post i was responding to you'd see

"but to an addict there is no such thing. an alcoholics cannot have just one drink, a crack addict cannot have just one smoke, a person hooked on sugar cannot have just one doughnut."