Sugar

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've always found it's a four day thing to break sugar. On the fourth day your body is going nuts telling you to eat whatever you've got. But on the fifth day - it's totally easy. That's the thing - people cut out sugar and get through three days thinking they've licked it, and the fourth day kills you.

So PLAN on the fourth day to be the worst. When you cut out the sugar, get rid of all of it in your house - for god's sake don't keep a beer in the fridge. And if you can't get a week's worth of help from those whom you live with - at least ask for that one day - the fourth day, for them to stash their treats out of sight. It's only one day after all.

If you start this on a Monday, you will have passed the fourth day by the following weekend, if you find that on weekends you get tempted by the change in schedule. Don't do the fourth day on a stress day or a vacation, unless you think that would work best for you. If you don't find time to eat much on crazy stress days, then maybe planning that as the fourth day is what will work.

After that you'll find your body has quieted down and will listen to reason and you can plan on small sugary rewards every now and then. AND if you find yourself sliding back into sugar every day, remember the four day process and kick into it again.
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi OP~
    I'm stunned at all the snark and meanness people tend to display on MFP. So much for the 'pal' part.

Anyway.

I've got a history of on and off that wagon myself, and as some have said above, go cold turkey. It's the only way. I would say the best thing to do is follow a plan so you aren't just flying blind; maybe give the Whole 30 a try, and join one of the W30 support groups on MFP. That way you have your weeks lined up, you know what you'll be eating (and what you won't). You'll have to get through the yucky withdrawal symptoms (and there will be some, so yes, clearly it is addictive). As others have said before, get about 5 to 14 days out and you're golden.

Make sensible shopping lists and stick to them. Don't buy that crap, because if you are like me, I just can't have it in the house. It will lose it's power, believe me! Learn to love tea without sugar. Learn to eat protein for breakfast, and make protein the star of your lunch and dinner. Pack food everywhere you go so you won't be tempted to "just get something quick" which invariably will be crappy food.

You can do it! And if you're tempted and fall off the wagon, just start over. It's not the end of the world. You'll thank yourself.
    ps: just skim over the snark and fighting. I don't get these guys on here. Don't sweat it.
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've seen very little help and a lot of judgement on this topic.
    I think just about all of us have a problem with discipline and moderation --- Otherwise we wouldn't be on this site. The idea is to help one another, not judge.
    I can relate to the whole sugar addiction problem. I've have a problem with it ever since I used to smuggle m&ms into grammar school and I'm pushing 60 now. I've tried moderation, but I have a tendency to go hog wild. It is very hard to quit after just one. It's even harder to go without sugar altogether, especially chocolate.
    My best advice is to try your very best to find what works for YOU. What works best for me is fireballs. They're low in calories and I can suck on one of them for a long time, so they give me a good sugar hit. To satisfy my chocolate craving, I'll have a cup of hot cocoa. Since it's hot, it takes me a while to drink it and it's not like eating chocolate kisses where I'm tempted to eat one after another until the whole bag is gone. And believe me, I can do that. Does that make me a bad person? Weak and undisciplined? No --- It makes me HUMAN.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi OP~
    I'm stunned at all the snark and meanness people tend to display on MFP. So much for the 'pal' part.

Anyway.

I've got a history of on and off that wagon myself, and as some have said above, go cold turkey. It's the only way. I would say the best thing to do is follow a plan so you aren't just flying blind; maybe give the Whole 30 a try, and join one of the W30 support groups on MFP. That way you have your weeks lined up, you know what you'll be eating (and what you won't). You'll have to get through the yucky withdrawal symptoms (and there will be some, so yes, clearly it is addictive). As others have said before, get about 5 to 14 days out and you're golden.

Make sensible shopping lists and stick to them. Don't buy that crap, because if you are like me, I just can't have it in the house. It will lose it's power, believe me! Learn to love tea without sugar. Learn to eat protein for breakfast, and make protein the star of your lunch and dinner. Pack food everywhere you go so you won't be tempted to "just get something quick" which invariably will be crappy food.

You can do it! And if you're tempted and fall off the wagon, just start over. It's not the end of the world. You'll thank yourself.
    ps: just skim over the snark and fighting. I don't get these guys on here. Don't sweat it.

so no one can ever disagree wit the OP…??? thats legit….

Just because you do not like the counter argument does not mean that it is "snark" and "mean"…

so you eat zero sugar? No fruit, honey, etc etc…?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If EVERYTHING that made us feel good was considered "addicting", then why aren't people just watching babies laugh, a child smiling after chemo, a belch or burp after a good meal, etc. and have people saying that their are "addicted" to those since they stimulate and bring on a "feel good" response?

Sugar TASTES good. So does fat. So does salty. Combine those 3 in a food that's high calorie......................

There's nothing wrong with wanting to eat good tasting food. The problem is that lots people have no discipline or self control to stop eating more than they should.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why would a baby having chemo make you feel good??

I think his point on that was the child smiling AFTER the chemo is over -- I've seen a lot of those pictures with the child smiling after the chemo treatment was over and he did not have to endure it any longer -- That is most likely what he is referring to.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I believe that some people exhibit addictive like behaviour to highly palatable foods. It's often sweet, sugary food, so it's termed 'sugar addiction'. I think that's partly what irritates the anti sugar addiction crowd. It doesn't really make logical sense to say that you are addicted to sugar when you can eat one form and not another....but to say that you are addicted to donuts/cakes/biscuits makes some sense to me.

I really like this paper, and think that it sums up the idea of food addiction pretty well. It talks about animal and human studies, for example genetic differences in dopamine signalling which blunts the dopamine response in some people. One of the co-authors is a big wig in addiction research, George Koob, and he does some pretty interesting work in the area of addiction. He believes in food addiction. I was fortunate enough to speak with him about it once.

The dark side of food addiction
    Sarah L Parylak, George F Koob, and Eric P Zorrilla

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3304465/#!po=18.5714

I don't know what the answer is OP, but if it really is an addiction to certain foods, and something that you feel powerless over, I would imagine that abstinence would be the only answer.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    How does one go "cold turkey" from sugar and then continue to eat it in fruit, milk, etc.? Cold turkey refers to stopping something entirely. This argument makes me very tired.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi OP~

Anyway.

Just because there is a disagreement in terms of definition and approach doesn't make it snaky and fighting. If we all thought the same exact way, then how would we even learn? You have to understand that disagreement =/= attacks or anything of the sort. I, personally, enjoy these threads and even its never ending because at least one person will post legitimate study that will make me smarter. So for that I am grateful.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    How does one go "cold turkey" from sugar and then continue to eat it in fruit, milk, etc.? Cold turkey refers to stopping something entirely. This argument makes me very tired.

because added sugar = evil..

all other forms of sugar = heavenly and no ill effects…

logical reasoning, right?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

because added sugar = evil..

all other forms of sugar = heavenly and no ill effects…

logical reasoning, right?

Yeah. I guess my question was rhetorical. My love of the evil sugar blinds me from seeing my addiction. :wink:
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Cold turkey from sugar the molecule makes no sense. Cold turkey from certain sweet foods that trigger compulsive eating because of their hedonic value does.

The 'anti' crowd who like to be so literal with the term 'sugar addiction' make ME very tired. :yawn:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I believe that some people exhibit addictive like behaviour to highly palatable foods. It's often sweet, sugary food, so it's termed 'sugar addiction'. I think that's partly what irritates the anti sugar addiction crowd. It doesn't really make logical sense to say that you are addicted to sugar when you can eat one form and not another....but to say that you are addicted to donuts/cakes/biscuits makes some sense to me.

I really like this paper, and think that it sums up the idea of food addiction pretty well. It talks about animal and human studies, for example genetic differences in dopamine signalling which blunts the dopamine response in some people. One of the co-authors is a big wig in addiction research, George Koob, and he does some pretty interesting work in the area of addiction. He believes in food addiction. I was fortunate enough to speak with him about it once.

I don't know what the answer is OP, but if it really is an addiction to certain foods, and something that you feel powerless over, I would imagine that abstinence would be the only answer.

Agreed. It's a great article. Definitely expands foods "addiction" to association with other medical issues: eating disorders, anxiety, depression and the associated of eating hyperpalatable foods as a reward/comfort tool.

I think the thing that bothers me is people want to have something to blame. If one honestly has a food addiction or binge disorder, they should be seeking professional help for it as it could be associated or a response to another disorder/issue going on. I suspect, it's truly just a poor choice of words and have not learned how to cope with poor decisions or urges. The issue is, many people have developed "habits" to use specific foods as rewards or coping mechanisms as a way for enjoyment. If it is just a habit, while it may be difficult to break, it's a lot easier to handle then if it's a binge disorder or eating is an outcome of anxiety/depression, in which, you would need advice from a medical professional.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Agreed. It's a great article. Definitely expands foods "addiction" to association with other medical issues: eating disorders, anxiety, depression and the associated of eating hyperpalatable foods as a reward/comfort tool.

I think the thing that bothers me is people want to have something to blame. If one honestly has a food addiction or binge disorder, they should be seeking professional help for it as it could be associated or a response to another disorder/issue going on. I suspect, it's truly just a poor choice of words and have not learned how to cope with poor decisions or urges. The issue is, many people have developed "habits" to use specific foods as rewards or coping mechanisms as a way for enjoyment. If it is just a habit, while it may be difficult to break, it's a lot easier to handle then if it's a binge disorder or eating is an outcome of anxiety/depression, in which, you would need advice from a medical professional.

Hopefully this should make things clearer - the definitions of habit and addiction.

A Habit
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Tends to be repeated frequently and has become nearly automatic.
    * Has developed by repetition (practice) or exposure, usually through conscious choice.
    * Shows itself in regularity.
    * Reveals an increase in facility and accuracy of performance over time.
    * Allows an easy, conscious choice.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are beneficial and positive to the self and/or others (they outweigh the negatives) and typically are in balance.

An Addiction
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Has run away with itself or been taken hostage.
    * Developed through physiologic exposure to a substance or initiation to something that provides a reward plus incentives that may be in the form of stored conscious memories or cues that are reminders of that reward.
    * Shows itself in escalating frequency.
    * Reveals a decrease in facility and accuracy of performance over time.
    * Exhibits a diminishment of easy, conscious choice.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are negative to the self and/or others (they outweigh the positives) and typically are out of balance.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dorian Yates ate a snickers bar PWO. True story bro.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Yep, I agree that it's probably an overused term for lack of self control or emotional or boredom eating or simply habit, particularly in light of the anti-sugar propaganda I see everywhere.......BUT at the risk of white-knighting, I feel bad thinking that someone with a genuine problem may post here and inevitably end up running away with their tail between their legs being told that their problem isn't real.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Hopefully this should make things clearer - the definitions of habit and addiction.

A Habit
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Has developed by repetition (practice) or exposure, usually through conscious choice.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are beneficial and positive to the self and/or others (they outweigh the negatives) and typically are in balance.

An Addiction
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Developed through physiologic exposure to a substance or initiation to something that provides a reward plus incentives that may be in the form of stored conscious memories or cues that are reminders of that reward.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are negative to the self and/or others (they outweigh the positives) and typically are out of balance.
    The OP was trying to say she was as addicted to sugar as a crack addict. Crack addicts will steal and have sex with strangers to feed their addiction. If OP isn't willing to turn to prostitution or robbery for her addiction, she better not start comparing her excuses to a crack or heroin addict.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

A Habit
    A behavior pattern that:

An Addiction
    A behavior pattern that:
    The OP was trying to say she was as addicted to sugar as a crack addict. Crack addicts will steal and have sex with strangers to feed their addiction. If OP isn't willing to turn to prostitution or robbery for her addiction, she better not start comparing her excuses to a crack or heroin addict.

There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

A bit harsh to not want to offer the OP support or sympathy because of a tenuous statement.

My personal belief is a lot of non(hardcore)drugs and other things can be addictive.

For the person suffering that addiction, they may feel that comparison to be true. Rather than give the standard response.

Why don't we see if we can get to the cause and actually help the person. After all isn't that what we are on this forum for?

Just saying.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are drug addicts out there and other addicts that get judged. BUt there are things out there that are just as addictive and dangerous to a persons body. through this journey I have come to realize one major thing. I have a huge huge addiction to sugar. Anyone else have this problem or had it and can give advice on how to fix it. I will admit I am addicted to it and as hard as i try i cannot seem to get over it.

There are a lot of people on here that will try to disprove that there is such a thing as sugar addiction. Will tell you all sugars are the same, they are not, there is a difference in monosaccharides and disaccharides (for joy, some new stuff for all you people to google).

And addiction is an obsession of the mind...period. Most alcoholics are not physically addicted to alcohol. Gambling and sex addicts the same. It has to do with the reward system in the brain as well as with an obsession.

If you feel that once you start eating a disaccharide that you can not stop with one portion, you should cut it out of your life. Simple as that.

If you can not eat it in moderation, dont eat it at all, no matter how many people try to bully you into feeling shame for not being able to do it.

Oh no, not a disaccharide!! I love when people try to use words to sound smart. So disaccharides are bad. What about polysaccharides? Or oligosaccharides? So monosaccharides are good?

So pretty much, since all fruits, vegetables, and dairy products are all full of disaccharides, that means we should cut all fruits, vegetables, and dairy products out of our diet?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Cold turkey from sugar the molecule makes no sense. Cold turkey from certain sweet foods that trigger compulsive eating because of their hedonic value does.

The 'anti' crowd who like to be so literal with the term 'sugar addiction' make ME very tired. :yawn:

and the I can eat fruit and honey all day, but added sugar is evil crowd is just as boorish ....
  • psuLemon
    Options

A bit harsh to not want to offer the OP support or sympathy because of a tenuous statement.

My personal belief is a lot of non(hardcore)drugs and other things can be addictive.

For the person suffering that addiction, they may feel that comparison to be true. Rather than give the standard response.

Why don't we see if we can get to the cause and actually help the person. After all isn't that what we are on this forum for?

Just saying.

Its hard to help the OP unless she clearly defines her issue. If a person comes in saying they might have a binge disorder, we recommend getting professional help, not just forum help. If this OP is really addicted to sugar, it would be suggested to get professional help. If she realizes that she binges when there are cookies in the house, then we will tell her not to keep them in the house. Essentially, different diagnosis have different courses of action.