i dont like lifting :( no results

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I still disagree with your implication that people who chose to strength train different ways are doing so because it's easier.

It's not true strength training unless you are adding more weight. Doing bodyweight exercises over and over again is working out, not strength training.
    In this case, she's not "strength training" but just working out.

And working out is not working out.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    MOVE ALONG HERE PEOPLE, I CANT PLAY NICE WITH OTHERS

But this is why we get along
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I mean. If I was squatting 50 pounds I wouldn't see results either.

Just saying.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    For those who say she hasn't been following the program by adding weight -- is there a point where you are unable to add weight (form breaks down, unable to complete reps/sets). Or are you referring to her routine?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    For those who say she hasn't been following the program by adding weight -- is there a point where you are unable to add weight (form breaks down, unable to complete reps/sets). Or are you referring to her routine?

If you get to a point where form is suffering/you can't finish reps you (After a set number of failures) deload and work back up.

This does not happen at 50 pounds on a squat though. That's basically the bar.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Yes, Stronglifts has instructions for what to do when you can't add weight for all 5 sets. It allows you to still progress but at a slower pace. And eventually you switch to 3x5 rather than 5x5.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yes, there can be a point at which you can't add more. It's laid out in the program. If you add weight and can't complete your 5 sets of 5 three times in a row you are supposed to drop your weight by 10% and try to build back up again. If you still can't after doing that 3 times (I think) you are supposed to drop to 3 sets of 5 instead. If you still reach a point where you are stuck you might then want to switch programs or reevaluate your eating, etc.

With the weights listed, I really really doubt the OP has reach any of these points. More than likely she didn't fully read and/ or isn't following the progression part of the program.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Yes, and then when you cannot complete your 5 reps for 3 workouts in a row, you drop the weight down and continue progressing from that lower point.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Jinks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ive been doing stonglifts for 3 1/2 months now and eating a slight deficit since i dont have much more to lose, and so far i hate lifting, and to top it off, i took a b4 and after pic AnD took measurments and nothing has changed! all i want is a flat belly :sad:

So I have to ask the question...

Do you hate lifting because you are not seeing results and not progressing?

Or do you just hate lifting?...this I can't imagine but it's possible...:laugh:

But if you really just don't like it...don't do it...find something else to do but don't expect the same results you get from resistence training.

But yes to this
    I haz a sad from this thread. :cry:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can also do progressive overload with body weight exercise. But, it's generally a lot easier to progressive overload with weights. The exercise and form stays the same and you add weight. It's harder, in the sense that it's heavier (and that is a real challenge that I would never downplay), but it's actually very basic and that's what makes it effective and work for so many people whatever level they are at (as long as they maintain good form and challenge themselves). Progressive overload with body weight exercises is not something that everyone is capable of doing because it can get very challenging.

There is also the issue of goals, and what you are training for. If you are training for a specific sport or strength activity, then it is effective to train specifically for that and add in weights to help you with the parts that need to be extra strong while also balancing out your weaker areas. It's going to be easier to progress in body weight training if you are also doing weights to boost your strength.

Make sure to do some stuff you enjoy, so you don't lose interest, but everything worth working for is going to have tedious moments.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting too, it's not fun for me. I still strength train because I know it's important, I just do yoga or pilates instead,

is pilates considered strength training?

I also HATE lifting...it's so boring to me to do the same repetitive motion over and over again. I prefer body weight exercises like pilates also. I started p90x3 about a month ago and like that wayyy better. It can also be argued that exercises like that are better for you because the movements target a variety of muscles versus just one with traditional weight lifting.

So.... in order words, you enjoy those because it's easier than lifting heavy weights.

So basically you're saying people who don't like strength training are LAZY? That's why I run 10 miles at a time, because it's easy, obviously. God forbid someone actually enjoys something different then you.

And just fyi, yoga and pilates are not easy. Often I wake up sore out of my mind and feel extremely challenged.

You don't like lifting because of the repetitive motion, but you'll run ten miles at a time?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting too, it's not fun for me. I still strength train because I know it's important, I just do yoga or pilates instead,

is pilates considered strength training?

I also HATE lifting...it's so boring to me to do the same repetitive motion over and over again. I prefer body weight exercises like pilates also. I started p90x3 about a month ago and like that wayyy better. It can also be argued that exercises like that are better for you because the movements target a variety of muscles versus just one with traditional weight lifting.

So.... in order words, you enjoy those because it's easier than lifting heavy weights.

So basically you're saying people who don't like strength training are LAZY? That's why I run 10 miles at a time, because it's easy, obviously. God forbid someone actually enjoys something different then you.

And just fyi, yoga and pilates are not easy. Often I wake up sore out of my mind and feel extremely challenged.

You don't like lifting because of the repetitive motion, but you'll run ten miles at a time?

Shhhhh we don't allow logic here.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd like to add - I did New Rules for Women for awhile and squatting a similarly pathetic amount of weight three months in. But I was progressing.

The thing is, when you start out with a pitiful amount of muscle, it can take you a year or more to squat body weight. And nobody ever tells you that.

So, if the OP is PROGRESSING and working to FAILURE - everything could be ok, just taking longer. If there's no progression...totally different story.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it. Lol

I know plenty of people who never lift and do beach body workouts and other workouts and have hard bodies and flat stomachs.

If lifting isnt your mo do something else.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    squat- 50 lbs 5x5

deadflift-100 lbs 5x5

row- 20 lbs 5x5

press- 40 5x5

and please do not say go heavier because this is still heavy for me
    The numbers here are pretty irrelevant, but that last statement may reflect a problem. The whole point of progressive strength training programs is to push yourself to do more than you could before. "Go heavier" should be a mantra. Not so much as you compromise form, but it's ok if it's hard to do, and it's ok if you can't manage the full sets. That's how you send your body a signal that it needs to get stronger.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    squat- 50 lbs 5x5

deadflift-100 lbs 5x5

row- 20 lbs 5x5

press- 40 5x5

and please do not say go heavier because this is still heavy for me

I would venture to say you have NOT been doing Stronglifts for 3 and a half months.

That's my bet also

THIS. I do stronglifts. The whole point is to add weight EVERY workout. What's the point in following the program but changing ALL THE THINGS!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So, um, what is your height/weight and what are your measurements? How many calories are you eating? What is your macro breakdown?

I have a very, very hard time believing that if you are doing a stronglifts program for 3 month and eating a proper diet you see no progress.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lifting, but I found Stronglifts to be mind-numbingly boring. The idea with lifting is to keep progressively adding weight, but if you don't enjoy it you won't want to push yourself and you won't progress. Try something else! New Rules gets mentioned a lot on here, and I've heard a lot of good things. Maybe try a few sessions with a trainer, or find a gym that offers lifting classes for small groups of people. (Not lifting classes with 10-20 people, because you won't get any personal attention, but if can do a session with a trainer plus 1-3 other people, you'd get the social aspect and it might be more fun).