Tried running, it hurts

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Are you a heel-striker? Striking with your heels is very hard on your knees.

Do you have well-cushioned shoes? Shoes make a lot of difference in running performance. It's important for foot, toenail and joint health to make sure your shoes are properly cushioned and that they fit really, really well.

It's more that the shoes are appropriate for gait and biomechanics. For an over-pronator then control is more important than cushioning.
  • Sunnydale14
    Options
    Did you warm up first? I always walk for at least five minutes before starting to run. You need to cool down with a slower pace too, and STRETCH afterwards. Your legs have just taken a battering, a good stretch helps with any soreness. I always really regret it and hurt like mad when I think I can be lazy and skip my stretches.

Be careful though, your knees are important things! If the tips here don't help, maybe see your dr or a sports physio or something to see if there's an issue.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Get gait analysis done and get shoes that are appropriate for what your running style and where you're running (i.e. my trail shoes will kill my knees if I try running on tarmac for any length of time because the soles are a different composition, my road running shoes don't give my ankle enough support on the uneven trails).

Build up slowly, shin splints in particular are caused by doing too much, too fast the majority of the time (not always but most of the time).

Think very carefully about changing running styles, it will take over a year to move from heel strike to forefoot and whilst it takes the strike away from the knees it will load pressure onto the achilles.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    It may be form since I never run, I font really know how. My daughter said you run on the balls of your feet more. I'll have to do dome research and watch videos too. Thank you all.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to run all the time. High school cross country, for fun, fur the runner's high, did marathons - this was all back in the 70's and 80's. I rarely run now, but thought I would start to work a little in to help trim weight recently. I ran for the first time this year 2 weeks ago for 30 minutes on the treadmill doing a jogging pace of 6 mph (10 minute mile) and felt good at the time. For the next few days after that - I felt like a truck had run over my body, my knees, my legs, my back, my kidneys, etc... .

As an avid cyclist, walker, and hiker who is in shape - it reminded me how threatening running is to the body. I will be doing that 30 minute run every Friday to see if I can adapt a bit and for the cross training effect, but just thought I'd share that I hurt like h, e, double toothpick as well. I'm hoping once I get outside and off the treadmill my old form will come back and I'll be able to move the next day after a run.

If you find that you are not adapting and the pain is still there, consider doing some cardio on the exercise bike since it is low impact.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just stick with the arc trainer
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just stick with the arc trainer

Whatever allows you to get your cardio in that is relatively pain free (pain is allowed due to the effort of the burn, but that's a different pain than knee pain).

All the best.