Stubborn muffin top problems...

Options
My stomach has always been my biggest problem area.
My actual waist is a lot smaller that it used to be, but I still feel as though my muffin top hasn't decreased much in size.
I drink a lot of water, I don't drink diet soda (or any soda for that matter), I try to avoid salt whenever possible, and I usually eat fairly clean. So I don't really think its a bloating or diet issue.
Do you guys know of any exercises I can do to help eliminate this problem? Especially without ending up with a boxy-shaped core; its just not to my taste.
Please and thank you!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, there are no exercises that will help you spot reduce, and your diet has nothing to do with whether or not you have a muffin top. Fat is why you have a muffin top. You will eventually lose from that area, it just might be the last place to go.
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce, there are no exercises that will help you spot reduce, and your diet has nothing to do with whether or not you have a muffin top. Fat is why you have a muffin top. You will eventually lose from that area, it just might be the last place to go.

As much as I hate to agree with this, it is absolutely true. I have the same problem. My clothes are looser everywhere except my stomach & I can't stand it! It would figure that this is the last place the weight wants to come off.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. And...if you wear pants that are the right size and cut for your body you won't have a muffin top.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Building muscles will not get rid of the top. Only burning the fat. That means cardio and good nutrition. Some have also recommended L-Arginine before bed as well in an effort to keep the metabolism burning while you sleep. Not sure if I agree with that though.
  • sorryfrench
    sorryfrench Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. And...if you wear pants that are the right size and cut for your body you won't have a muffin top.

While I am sure that is a good point for some, it is sadly nothing to help me, because I have a muffin top butt naked. :brokenheart:
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice, I appreciate the feedback.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Building muscles will not get rid of the top. Only burning the fat. That means cardio and good nutrition. Some have also recommended L-Arginine before bed as well in an effort to keep the metabolism burning while you sleep. Not sure if I agree with that though.

a calorie deficit is the ONLY thing she needs. You can do it with cardio, weight training or no exercise. But if you are hard pressed to do any exercise, resistance training is the way to go as it will help with muscle retention, where cardio doesn't. More muscle = more lean. Overall, you want to do both cardio and weight training, but I would emphasize the latter. Also, you can help maintain your metabolic rate with weight training and higher protein foods to minimize muscle loss. Because your BMR is directly tied to your body composition. You don't need supplements of any kind as you can get all your nutrients from food.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

a calorie deficit is the ONLY thing she needs. You can do it with cardio, weight training or no exercise. But if you are hard pressed to do any exercise, resistance training is the way to go as it will help with muscle retention, where cardio doesn't. More muscle = more lean. Overall, you want to do both cardio and weight training, but I would emphasize the latter. Also, you can help maintain your metabolic rate with weight training and higher protein foods to minimize muscle loss. Because your BMR is directly tied to your body composition. You don't need supplements of any kind as you can get all your nutrients from food.

I'm happy with my current weight but still have a fat tummy, and since I lost weight it seems to stick out even more :( I feel your pain OP
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Well from what you guys have said so far, its sounds like I just have to be more patient with my progress. I do eat at a deficit, I do cardio 4-5 times a week, and I do strength train 3 days a week. I'm thinking I will kick up my work outs a notch or two and see where that takes me.
    :glasses:
  • MB_Positif
    Options

While I am sure that is a good point for some, it is sadly nothing to help me, because I have a muffin top butt naked. :brokenheart:

You don't look muffin toppy in your profile pic. Just keep working hard. Stick to your calorie goal. I recommend strength training over cardio. In 6 months I went from a size 10 to wearing 4-6's doing only strength training and eating at maintenance. I lost 2 pounds during that time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well from what you guys have said so far, its sounds like I just have to be more patient with my progress. I do eat at a deficit, I do cardio 4-5 times a week, and I do strength train 3 days a week. I'm thinking I will kick up my work outs a notch or two and see where that takes me.

Personally, I would drop some cardio and increase weight training... or maybe add in a yoga/pilates day. At this point, your focus should be on reducing body fat and maintain muscle mass. It's hard to tell, but your photos would suggest a body fat% around 25-30% which is good, but will still need to be lowered if your goal is ab definition. Second, you shouldn't have a large deficit, as they can lead to more muscle loss. So the question comes down to, how many calories you eating and what is your macronutrients set at?
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Personally, I would drop some cardio and increase weight training... or maybe add in a yoga/pilates day. At this point, your focus should be on reducing body fat and maintain muscle mass. It's hard to tell, but your photos would suggest a body fat% around 25-30% which is good, but will still need to be lowered if your goal is ab definition. Second, you shouldn't have a large deficit, as they can lead to more muscle loss. So the question comes down to, how many calories you eating and what is your macronutrients set at?

Good info
  • psuLemon
    Options

I'm happy with my current weight but still have a fat tummy, and since I lost weight it seems to stick out even more :( I feel your pain OP

That could be because you do not have good body composition. It's hard to tell thought without details.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You don't look muffin toppy in your profile pic. Just keep working hard. Stick to your calorie goal. I recommend strength training over cardio. In 6 months I went from a size 10 to wearing 4-6's doing only strength training and eating at maintenance. I lost 2 pounds during that time.

A woman I work with has a very similar story. She went from 26% body fat down to 14.1% body fat within a little over a year, eating 2100 calories on exercise days and 1800 calories on non exercise days. And these results are confirmed with a hydrostatic test. And she only lose 3 lbs.
  • sorryfrench
    Options

I will definitely be taking that into account, thank you.
  • sorryfrench
    Options

Ah let's see... Typically I eat about 1800 calories a day, but usually I eat towards 2000 on workout days.
    MFP has my goals set as :
    Carbs - 251
    Fat - 67
    Protein - 100
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ah let's see... Typically I eat about 1800 calories a day, but usually I eat towards 2000 on workout days.
    MFP has my goals set as :
    Carbs - 251
    Fat - 67
    Protein - 100

I don't know how much you weigh, but I would consider upping protein a little more and maybe fats. Honestly, I am a fan of 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

I will definitely be taking that into account, thank you.

You're welcome!! :)
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Should I maybe be cutting carbs and upping my protein take?

Also, I would like to add a yoga day or two, but I have no idea where to start with it! Any suggestions for that would be welcomed.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

A woman I work with has a very similar story. She went from 26% body fat down to 14.1% body fat within a little over a year, eating 2100 calories on exercise days and 1800 calories on non exercise days. And these results are confirmed with a hydrostatic test. And she only lose 3 lbs.

Cool! Sadly I haven't had my body fat percentage done in any professional fashion, so I have no idea :/