Stubborn muffin top problems...

Options
2»

Replies

• sorryfrench
    sorryfrench Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ah, I just read this ha. I will see what I can do! I know I def need more protein. I'm not too much of a meat fan, so I'll have to get it from other sources.
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Oh, and I weigh 142 lbs if that helps any.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Should I maybe be cutting carbs and upping my protein take?

Also, I would like to add a yoga day or two, but I have no idea where to start with it! Any suggestions for that would be welcomed.

My recommendation is up above. In terms of yoga, search in the fitness forum, there are a bunch of post for online routines. Youtube and google can work too.
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Alright, well thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. I will definitely be taking the macro thing and more lifting, less cardio thing into account.
    :heart:
  • PaleoRN
    PaleoRN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cinching your waist with oblique moves? To increase fat loss, look into dhea which is supposed to help subcut abdominal fat in women...but it's a hormone so please read up on it. Also you can try cold thermogenesis (see Dr Kruse website) and adapting a ketogenic diet which burns fat well.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Alright, well thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. I will definitely be taking the macro thing and more lifting, less cardio thing into account.
    :heart:

Awesome. The best advice I can give is keep it simple! ;)
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    Have you tried cinching your waist with oblique moves? To increase fat loss, look into dhea which is supposed to help subcut abdominal fat in women...but it's a hormone so please read up on it. Also you can try cold thermogenesis (see Dr Kruse website) and adapting a ketogenic diet which burns fat well.

That sounds more complicated than it needs to be lol.
    I think I will just focus on weight training more and paying closer attention to my macros.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    muffin top has more to do with wearing incorrect sizing or style bottoms for your body type more so than your size or weight.

i'm around 50 pounds overweight, have a much larger belly than you and i almost never have muffin top.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<Here is me last year at 5'5" and 125 pounds. Major muffin going on. It seems a lot of my problem is that my grandpa's were attracted to barrel shaped women, so here I am!

ETA: I am the one on right, black tank top.
  • sorryfrench
    Options
    muffin top has more to do with wearing incorrect sizing or style bottoms for your body type more so than your size or weight.

i'm around 50 pounds overweight, have a much larger belly than you and i almost never have muffin top.

Then we are shaped differently, because I have a muffin top with no clothes on. I've always carried my belly fat more on my sides than the front.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options

Then we are shaped differently, because I have a muffin top with no clothes on. I've always carried my belly fat more on my sides than the front.

I'm with you, OP. I have fat pockets on my sides and back right above my butt that look like I'm wearing invisible pants that are too small.
  • sorryfrench
    Options

I'm with you, OP. I have fat pockets on my sides and back right above my butt that look like I'm wearing invisible pants that are too small.

Finally somebody who understands me about that lol :drinker:
  • jenniferpriggs
    Options

I'm right there with you both. Nekked top o' the muffin here too, unfortunately.

There is some great advice in this thread. I've been on MFP just over 24 hours, and I've already read enough to know that I need to start adding in resistance training instead of just cardio 5-6 days a week to start getting better results.

How do you know what a good ratio is for your macronutrients? Is it based on your goal (losing weight/muffins, building muscle, maintenance, etc.) or something else?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm right there with you both. Nekked top o' the muffin here too, unfortunately.

There is some great advice in this thread. I've been on MFP just over 24 hours, and I've already read enough to know that I need to start adding in resistance training instead of just cardio 5-6 days a week to start getting better results.

How do you know what a good ratio is for your macronutrients? Is it based on your goal (losing weight/muffins, building muscle, maintenance, etc.) or something else?

In terms of percentages, it's based on caloric intake and lean body mass. The general rule of thumb is .8-1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. Since a large portion of people do not know their body mass, I suggest women to try aim for 70-80% of their body weight in grams of protein.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One issue I have not seen touched upon is sugar intake. I know you say you eat clean, but fruit has a lot of sugar in it. I'm not saying stop eating fruit though. Also, what kind of breads and grains are you eating? Even whole wheat bread has a lot of sugar in it. I would recommend tracking sugar for a few weeks, along with upping protein (eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, fish, nuts (1 oz a day) with more weight training and you should see a difference.

I have been going up and down with my weight for the past 10 years and I finally realized that sugar is my problem with my muffin top. When I get to my goal weight this time I'm going to stay there because I'm changing my lifestyle to cut back on sugar not calories or fat.

Good luck!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    more cardio is NOT what she needs and more calorie deficit is NOT what she needs. Lift weights, dumb bells, look into it www.hotnfit.com. Women do not get enough protein and do not to enough resistance training. Your body is reacting to the hormone Cortisol and is in fact keeping the muffin in place. Too much cardio can lead to cortisol increase, so can other stressors, as well as too low a calorie deficit. dead lift, squats, use free weights, and increase slowly. You will not bulk up unless you are taking supplements too and look into how much protein your body is in need of. I'm 6 months pregnant and now I have more muscle than I did before and I look leaner in my arms and legs... we'll see how it all turns out after the baby comes in june, but, seriously. Weights. you won't look like a she-hulk.