Recovery shakes: Whey or Soy?

Options
Not sure if I need to add them yet, but considering if they help with soreness maybe having some post heavy lifting day. I've read whey is good, I'm pretty sure what I have and what I can get that is cheap is Soy. Is it helpful too? I'm guessing using Almond milk is critical for the soreness part due to the salacitic acid. (I have NO idea if I spelled that correctly) :blushing:

Replies

• becomingsara
    Options
    GOOOOD Question! I want to know the answer as well :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You don't need them. Period.

If you're sore, stretch and do some light cardio. If you look into it (and not just trainers with NO nutrition education), you'll find out how useless those shakes are -- and they can even cause some harm to your organs.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use ISO Sensation 93 Vanilla bean from GNC it is about $30 for 2lbs of whey protien. No added sugar or artifical crap. 130 calories 30g of protien. It is one of the top 3 best protiens out there. Research protiens they are not created equel
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Getting any kind of protein in within 30 minutes of working out will help your muscles rebuild. The purpose of a protein shake is that they are quick and effective. I usually drink muscle milk whey for breakfast and then after I work out. This keeps me energized and gets something in my stomach.
  • ProTFitness
    Options

If you're sore, stretch and do some light cardio. If you look into it (and not just trainers with NO nutrition education), you'll find out how useless those shakes are -- and they can even cause some harm to your organs.

Well to this quote. Good trainers that know what they are doing will guide you the Right way and in the right direction on nutrition. Research protiens supplemts before buying them. No not everyone needs it. Extra protien does help with recovery but soreness is not a reasont to start a protien supplemnt
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I use whey proteine isolate.

When I was lifting and running I would also supplement with glutomine and creotine after hard workouts to help rebuild and repair the muscles.

Karen
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    Not sure if I need to add them yet, but considering if they help with soreness maybe having some post heavy lifting day. I've read whey is good, I'm pretty sure what I have and what I can get that is cheap is Soy. Is it helpful too? I'm guessing using Almond milk is critical for the soreness part due to the salacitic acid. (I have NO idea if I spelled that correctly) :blushing:

Extra protien will help with recovey but not neccessarliy what you have to do to help soreness. Epsom salt baths help, moving, streching, and LOTS OF WATER! will help as well. A good workout you should be sore a few days then it should ease up if not you may have pushed too hard and need to back it up a little. Pushing hard is good pushing too hard can have its down falls as well.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options

What utter rubbish! To build muscle you need to ingest protein, and for most of us the easiest way to do that is to take a supplemental shake. If your body doesn't have sufficient protein, you won't build any muscle and all that exercise will be worthless. It's basic nutrition 101. I'm surprised to see anybody suggest otherwise.

I use whey - it's affordable (from BJ's wholesale club) and tastes good when you add a single teaspoon of cocoa powder (which adds fiber.) But whey is processed very quickly - perfect for a post-workout blast, but some people prefer casein because it is digested more slowly and releases protein throughout the day.

Soy is an interesting topic. Many people are skeptical of it because of possible links to breast cancer. I swore I'd avoid it, but some of my fav vegetarian protein snacks are soy-based, and I like Muscle Milk too.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. I lift weights and have done so for years. The greatest thing I've ever taken for soreness and muscle recovery is Glutamine. Most of the better protein powders have glutamine mixed in it for recovery. Currently I drink Syntha-6 by BSN, it is a protein shake and it works great right after my workout. I drink it mixed with water (200 calories) and eat a fruit for breakfast.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is much better than soy protein. Casein is good as well (if you want a slower release). I put a scoop of Optimum Nutrition vanilla whey and a scoop of Optimum Nutrition vanilla casein in my post-workout smoothies.

And for whoever said you don't need protein powders, you are absolutely correct. You don't NEED them. However, they are VERY helpful for of us shooting for lots of protein in our diets. Besides, there aren't many other sources of protein that will give you 24 grams of protein with only 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fat. You can certainly meet your protein needs without the use of protein powder, but it's harder to do (and usually results in higher calorie intake).
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    By the way, as others have said, protein really has nothing to do with soreness. The best way to combat soreness is with lots of stretching.
  • ShaneT99
    Options
    Another by the way...

VitaGlo.com is a great source for supplements. I've used them for a couple of years now. They're fast and have better pricing than anyone else I've seen (although my brother-in-law did manage to beat their pricing with some special deal he found through Amazon).

No affiliation. Just a happy customer.
  • rml_16
    Options

What utter rubbish! To build muscle you need to ingest protein, and for most of us the easiest way to do that is to take a supplemental shake. If your body doesn't have sufficient protein, you won't build any muscle and all that exercise will be worthless. It's basic nutrition 101. I'm surprised to see anybody suggest otherwise.

I use whey - it's affordable (from BJ's wholesale club) and tastes good when you add a single teaspoon of cocoa powder (which adds fiber.) But whey is processed very quickly - perfect for a post-workout blast, but some people prefer casein because it is digested more slowly and releases protein throughout the day.

Soy is an interesting topic. Many people are skeptical of it because of possible links to breast cancer. I swore I'd avoid it, but some of my fav vegetarian protein snacks are soy-based, and I like Muscle Milk too.

You can get plenty from a healthy, balanced diet (and higher quality that's better absorbed by the body). My information is from the Mayo and Cleveland clinics.

In fact, most people who actually know what they're talking about will advise you to have whole grain toast with peanut butter or a glass of milk post-workout, NOT a protein shake.

In fact, Olympic-level athletes don't even need them to get the amount and quality of protein they need.
  • Gelsie
    Gelsie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got this info from this website: http://cheapwheyproteinpowdernew.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/protein-powder-for-women-3-types-of-protein-for-women/

Whey Protein
    This is the classic protein is used by men and women. It 'nice to help your muscles repair themselves, making it the first choice as a protein shake post workout.

It 'easy to digest and form the highest quality> Proteins on the market, and to give an extra dose of calcium is a bonus. However, since the milk is not suitable for vegetarians and contain no lactose, but not much.

Soy protein
    This is a large protein that is popular with vegetarians or lactose intolerant. It 's a low glycemic index protein and fat which means it is better to use to lose excess body fat and tightens. They alsocontains much iron, many women who are late.

Since soy is a vegetable protein is still considered an "incomplete" proteins compared with animal proteins such as whey. It 'pretty close, but with several recent studies on the adverse effects sometimes a diet rich in soy can in some women.

Egg Protein
    egg proteins are in balance, a protein that is a good source of amino acids. They are also a goodchoice for women who are lactose intolerant.

It all depends on you really. I drink a protein shake everyday for lunch. I don't have the muscle soreness that I would normally have. And it's good as a meal replacement as well.

I hope this helps you.
    Gelsie
  • rml_16
    Options
    Whey protein is much better than soy protein. Casein is good as well (if you want a slower release). I put a scoop of Optimum Nutrition vanilla whey and a scoop of Optimum Nutrition vanilla casein in my post-workout smoothies.

And for whoever said you don't need protein powders, you are absolutely correct. You don't NEED them. However, they are VERY helpful for of us shooting for lots of protein in our diets. Besides, there aren't many other sources of protein that will give you 24 grams of protein with only 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fat. You can certainly meet your protein needs without the use of protein powder, but it's harder to do (and usually results in higher calorie intake).

I'm a vegetarian. I ate 1,500 calories yesterday and got 82 grams of protein -- eating food.
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Well i do have a degree in nutritional education actually its a dual bachelors in Sports Medicine and Athletic Training.
    To answer whey protein is better it will help build muscle and reduce soreness if you dont want to spend the money on protein shakes chocolate milk (i blend in a banana and its amazing) is a good option for recovery. The only way protein shakes are harmful to you is drinking over your protein limit and avoiding normal foods. Good example someone who drinks a protein shake for both breakfast and lunch then has large protein amounts for dinner like a steak will be eating to much protein which can become harmful but you would have to do that combo for multiple weeks. Also avoid protein shakes that have the word "MASS" in their names they are extra calories that you dont need and are designed for weight gain and will hamper weight loss.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It is pointless to get in an argument about protein with a vegetarian. Many vegetarians make themselves sick because their diet's are not balanced. I would only take advice from people that actually track their protein, carbs, and sodium intake.

Complete 30 push-ups and we can continue this conversation.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I prefer whey -- if you're doing serious workouts, the aminos are beneficial for preservation of muscle. As long as you don't have an issue with milk or milk products, you should be fine taking whey. I've looked at some of the labels of the soy products and it seems sketchy at best (not to mention have a high carb ratio). Just pick one that's sweetened with stevia (preferred) or splenda (if there's no other option) instead of HFCS.

If you're eating 300% of your body mass in protein, you'll be in bad shape, but if you're supplementing with whey to reach a 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass, then that's fine. As with any high protein plan, get plenty of Vitamin A -- helps your body utilize the protein.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A bit of muscle soreness is normal the next day (or sometimes two days) after strength training. Whey protein shakes are probably the best to have within a 30 minutes of working out due to the fact that it is very quickly digested and absorbed into your bloodstream so it reaches your muscles quickly to help repair them. Regardless of the type, some form of protein should be ingested after strength training. L-Glutamine is another supplement that can help muscle recovery. These supplements help your muscles recover from heavy exercise, but won't eliminate much of the muscle soreness. I usually find myself fairly stiff and sore the day after training my legs, but as you move around during the day, the soreness fades away. Light exercise and stretching should help to loosen up the muscles. If it persists, an aspirin or two should help, as a last resort. Also, there is no truth to the myth that some uneducated people like to spread about protein shakes being more harmful than good. Your body needs protein to build and preserve muscle. Any kind of protein, whether it be whey, soy, casein, egg albumin, lean meats, or other sources is essential to your health. I hope this helps!
  • k_eye
    k_eye Posts: 18
    Options
    well, are you vegan? since whey powder often has a milk protein in it then most vegan don't take it. ( unless someone found one w/o milk in it? :D )
    almond milk is a milk substitute. a friend is allergic to bovine protein and he started having moobs with soy so he switched to almond milk - its taste and how well your body does with it.

as for the need for a shake at all- its a fast way to get your protein in after your workout. but beware the shake: you are not eating so your body does not = it to taking in a meal. so you will most likely be hungry after an hour or so. ( but then again if you just had a workout you'd be hungry regardless) so just be watchful of your calorie intake.

If I have the time i don't shake it up but have a sweet potato and chicken. mmmmm :)

and for the soreness -its lactic acid buildup and tightness. stretch stretch and warm up those muscles, and don't stop working out :)