Any overcoming diabetes or illiness WT. LOSS success stories

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Ya know, a LOT of people are losing weight because of the dangers of sickness or dis-ease--for health reasons. When I first started here 2 years ago, that was my reason too. With health in mind, I was successful in getting down to size (so to speak) and went from obesity to almost so-called "normal" range (just a wee bit overweight), just by losing almost 20 pounds and lots of inches all over my body (primarily in my upper body and tummy) by purposely choosing to eat a well-balanced and healthy diet and heart raising daily exercise. Thru this, in a relatively short period of time (almost 3months), the issue I was struggling with completely disappeared AND I received in my mind, body and soul so many other tremendous benefits also. Well...for various reasons (gluttony, slothfulness/lazy--sedentary and an entitled lifestyle) I regained all of the weight I lost plus extra 5-10 pounds over the past two years.

I can honestly say that for the past year or so...my "efforts" to lose weight has been primarily for vanity purposes--I haven't even thought of doing this for health reasons at all really but mainly for the "looks" as I didn't and don't like the way I look and secondly the way I feel. The other day I was thinking about one of my good friends who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I felt sure I didn't have it...but have been troubled about maybe being close to having it. I went to the doctor yesterday for a diabetes check and she took a series of tests, and they came back that I too do NOT yet have it...but my numbers are VERY CLOSE to having it. My doctor told me that this can be totally reversed IF I change my diet and lifestyle (not exercising regularly) and if I lose weight, she assured me that those numbers will go down and I'll won't be burdened with the sickness and dis-ease and woe of diabetes.

So, starting yesterday...my focus is no longer on "vanity" or looking better--but health and wellness as my main and primarily reasons to get this excess flab and fat off of my body and KEEP it off via a balance diet and more vigorous daily exercise .

All this to ask...has anyone overcome (and/or reversed) any sickness, disease or diabetes with losing weight? If so, I'd LOVE to hear your success stories and I know that others will be encouraged and helped greatly too with your sharing how you overcame/reversed diabetes or any other illiness or disease!

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    bump
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes I have.. I started my journey at 375 about 14 months ago with an A1C of 9.7%, this morning I weighed 213.4 and have a completely normal A1C. Id go into it more but you could check out my blog www.resolveandovercome.blogspot.com, check the I am who I am post. I have become very involved with the American Diabetes Association, and am a Red Rider for the Tour de Cure.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Take a look at the link of the Newcastle University study. It helped me a lot. The study contends that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat.

My story. I used to be skinny but gained weight slowly at a rate of 2kg per year for over 20 years. Was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2012. Had an hba1c over 10 and was initially prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Started restricting calories with MFP and exercising in a more structured way. Had lost 10% of body weight in 6 months and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing metformin due to improved hba1c.

By the time I hit 20% of body weight lost, my hba1c was 4.9 with only a single 500 mg tablet of metformin every other day. Was told to stop medicating completely. Next week I do my first hba1c after 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Next week I do my first hba1c after 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much.

Good luck with the results, I hope it has stayed at 4.9% :flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    yes I have.. I started my journey at 375 about 14 months ago with an A1C of 9.7%, this morning I weighed 213.4 and have a completely normal A1C. Id go into it more but you could check out my blog www.resolveandovercome.blogspot.com, check the I am who I am post. I have become very involved with the American Diabetes Association, and am a Red Rider for the Tour de Cure.

What an excellent blog for diabetes info and your successes and weight-loss is absolutely tremendous and nothing less than astounding! Thank you ever so much for posting!!!
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 6 years ago. I lost weight by diet and exercise and got my a1c down to normal levels. I was taken off meds and eventually my doc told me he was taking Diabetes off as a diagnosis for me. I have gained in the last 6 months partially due to an injury. My a1c has crept back up but I am getting back into working out and trying to eat right. I am having surgery soon and I am hoping that it won't sideline working out for me.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually read my last A1C and said "You don't have diabetes anymore.. er um I mean you seem to have your blood sugar under control." lol
    I had it under control before losing any weight or exercising. I never took any medication for it. Sorry to disappoint. :flowerforyou:
    I'm going to find out how losing weight and exercise plays a role in insulin resistance as I get closer to goal.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started at nearly 500 lbs. I was constantly tired and would fall asleep all the time, day or night. I was like this for most of my 20's but finally decided to go see a doctor about it in Winter of 2009. I assumed it was sleep apnea but the blood test from the doctor showed I had type II diabetes. My AC1 was 7.6 and the doctor said it was actually not that bad considering how long he suspects I had it.

Aside from eating less and better, I also went from sitting on my butt 7-8 hrs every day playing video games to being more physically active. As I lost weight and improved over time my doctor began weaning me off the medications. A little over a year and 100 lbs lost or so my AC1 had was 5.4 and doctor said he was going to remove all the medications. It's been about 2.5 years now that I have not needed to take any medications. All the symptons I had before, constant sleepiness, acanthosis nigricans, are gone now. I'm a bit more lax with my diet now but I still don't drink soda pop.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Take a look at the link of the Newcastle University study. It helped me a lot. The study contends that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat.

My story. I used to be skinny but gained weight slowly at a rate of 2kg per year for over 20 years. Was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2012. Had an hba1c over 10 and was initially prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Started restricting calories with MFP and exercising in a more structured way. Had lost 10% of body weight in 6 months and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing metformin due to improved hba1c.

By the time I hit 20% of body weight lost, my hba1c was 4.9 with only a single 500 mg tablet of metformin every other day. Was told to stop medicating completely. Next week I do my first hba1c after 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much.

Thank you ever so much for posting that link and for sharing your story. Congrats on taking control of your weight and being successful in your weight loss and balanced eating....you rock, period. Also...best wishes on your up and coming test next week. Your post is VERY inspiring!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. At the time I was morbidly obese, a little over 300lbs. I wasn't active and I took blood pressure medication along with a handful of other meds. I ate just about anything and everything, especially if it was fried or dipped in chocolate. The T2 diagnoses frightened me. I made me hit the pause button and imagine what shape I might be in if I continued on that path for another decade. Would I be taking care of the people in my house or would they be taking care of me?

The doctor put me on metformin to control my blood sugar and said I needed to lose weight. With the support of my wife, we started changing our lifestyle the very next day. We changed our entire meal plan and I began exercising on a regular basis. Within a year I lost over 100lbs and my wife dropped 60lbs. I went back to the doctor for a check up and he said I no longer needed the metformin or the blood pressure medication. My wife no longer takes blood pressure medication. It's been a wonderful transformation for the both of us. We feel better and have more energy than we've had in years.

I think a lot of people are content to simply take a pill and do the same things they've always done. A pill can help control blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. What it can't do is improve the quality of life. Positive dietary changes and elevating fitness levels are critical for our well being.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 6 years ago. I lost weight by diet and exercise and got my a1c down to normal levels. I was taken off meds and eventually my doc told me he was taking Diabetes off as a diagnosis for me. I have gained in the last 6 months partially due to an injury. My a1c has crept back up but I am getting back into working out and trying to eat right. I am having surgery soon and I am hoping that it won't sideline working out for me.

This is excellent news...except of course for your injury and upcoming surgery. Thank you so much for posting and here's to hoping your surgery goes well and that your getting back to working out and eating is the best ever! :flowerforyou:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I came here in December after being diagnosed type 2 diabetic. (The diabetes educator told me about mfp.) With medication, diet and exercise I've successfully improved my labs back to normal levels in 3 months and we talked about stopping the metformin completely. I opted to stay on it for now as I feel it's playing a huge part in my wt loss and it's not hurting me to be on it.

I must continue these lifestyle changes to keep the diabetes under control but hope it will lead to further wt loss. Keeping to this for the rest of my life seems a little daunting, so I'm taking it a week, a day, at a time for now.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My doctor actually read my last A1C and said "You don't have diabetes anymore.. er um I mean you seem to have your blood sugar under control." lol
    I had it under control before losing any weight or exercising. I never took any medication for it. Sorry to disappoint. :flowerforyou:
    I'm going to find out how losing weight and exercise plays a role in insulin resistance as I get closer to goal.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    im working on it.. i was told a week ago im like borderline and in the process of reversing it.. fingers crossed ill be back with a success story soon :wink:
  • floatabegonia
    Options
    Yes, I did! I was pre-diabetic and went on the Atkins diet. In three months, I lost 30 pounds and my blood sugar went to normal levels. I goofed off for a few months and gained about 10 pounds back, but am now back on the Atkins diet (also called the keto diet). I've almost lost the10 lbs in one week! I now know that this will be a diet for life, but I don't even think of it as a diet anymore. Sweet things just now are too sweet for my taste. I do plan a cheat day every once in awhile, mostly bread. I love a good burger or sandwich!

I'll never forget the words my doctor told me at the first time I showed pre-diabetic blood sugar numbers. "You don't want to have your feet cut off, do you?" That scared me straight.

Good luck! Find a program that works for you and doesn't make you feel deprived. It worked for me, and it will work for you, too!.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    lost the weight and now off blood pressure, cholesterol meds and avoided the diabetic meds also.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I started at nearly 500 lbs. I was constantly tired and would fall asleep all the time, day or night. I was like this for most of my 20's but finally decided to go see a doctor about it in Winter of 2009. I assumed it was sleep apnea but the blood test from the doctor showed I had type II diabetes. My AC1 was 7.6 and the doctor said it was actually not that bad considering how long he suspects I had it.

Aside from eating less and better, I also went from sitting on my butt 7-8 hrs every day playing video games to being more physically active. As I lost weight and improved over time my doctor began weaning me off the medications. A little over a year and 100 lbs lost or so my AC1 had was 5.4 and doctor said he was going to remove all the medications. It's been about 2.5 years now that I have not needed to take any medications. All the symptons I had before, constant sleepiness, acanthosis nigricans, are gone now. I'm a bit more lax with my diet now but I still don't drink soda pop.

Wow...wow...WOW! :drinker: What a tremendous reply--so thought provoking and super encouraging post! Congrats and thank you ever so much for your reply!!! :drinker:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    A couple years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. At the time I was morbidly obese, a little over 300lbs. I wasn't active and I took blood pressure medication along with a handful of other meds. I ate just about anything and everything, especially if it was fried or dipped in chocolate. The T2 diagnoses frightened me. I made me hit the pause button and imagine what shape I might be in if I continued on that path for another decade. Would I be taking care of the people in my house or would they be taking care of me?

The doctor put me on metformin to control my blood sugar and said I needed to lose weight. With the support of my wife, we started changing our lifestyle the very next day. We changed our entire meal plan and I began exercising on a regular basis. Within a year I lost over 100lbs and my wife dropped 60lbs. I went back to the doctor for a check up and he said I no longer needed the metformin or the blood pressure medication. My wife no longer takes blood pressure medication. It's been a wonderful transformation for the both of us. We feel better and have more energy than we've had in years.

I think a lot of people are content to simply take a pill and do the same things they've always done. A pill can help control blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. What it can't do is improve the quality of life. Positive dietary changes and elevating fitness levels are critical for our well being.

Wow...a total of 160 pounds combined gone forever and no longer taking medicine is utterly fabulous and encouraging news. Thanks so much for posting, you guys rock!:drinker:
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'M 43 I was diagnosed Diabetic with high bloodpressure and high cholesterol on December 2nd
    my A1c was 9.7
    blood pressure was 200/99
    and cholesterols were outrageous (don't remember off the top of my head)
    Doc wanted to put me on meds right away
    I said give me 3 months of diet and exercise
    she said 2
    after 2 months I got my a1c down to 7
    bp normal
    cholesterol normal
    all from diet and exercise

since the A1c counted a month of poor eating habits she said we will do another one in an additional 3 months
    so I go back in May

OH and I also had a kidney test done to check for protein in my urine
    in February it was 57
    one month later 33
    normal is 30

SO YES diet and exercise can indeed fix your numbers

http://watchsueshrink.blogspot.com/

that is my little blog about my stuff it is nothing fancy or impressive
    others have done much more
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started at 340 lbs - and was heavily insulin and metformin dependent

A year later, I've been off the meds for over 9 months and am down 170 lbs - so exercise and diet can definitely reverse diabetes :)

Here is my story that I posted just yesterday...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1227846-1-year-down-and-170lbs-lost-lots-of-pics-and-long
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!