Replies

• judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump I need to read this later
  • katiehbell
    katiehbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay not hugely overweight . BMI of 25 so just on the border. Real problem was my Blood Pressure. 160/98 And rising. Very stressful job. Anyway using the 5:2 diet (google it) and MFP I have lost 17lbs in two months and my BP is now 130/78. BMI now 23. I truly believe losing weight is a decision. Mine is going well. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I came here in December after being diagnosed type 2 diabetic. (The diabetes educator told me about mfp.) With medication, diet and exercise I've successfully improved my labs back to normal levels in 3 months and we talked about stopping the metformin completely. I opted to stay on it for now as I feel it's playing a huge part in my wt loss and it's not hurting me to be on it.

I must continue these lifestyle changes to keep the diabetes under control but hope it will lead to further wt loss. Keeping to this for the rest of my life seems a little daunting, so I'm taking it a week, a day, at a time for now.

This is fabulous news and you're doing marvelous--thank you so much for posting!!!! :drinker:
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Will definitely read later.
  • claireszydelko
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 after i had gestational diabetes 4 years ago, i weighed 22 stone 8lb i plodded along taking loads of pills for diabetes and blood pressure for 3 years. Last september i started my weigh loss journey and today i have lost 60lb. I exercise 4 - 5x a week and eat healthy and as of last month my diabetes has gone. I have better a1c results that some non diabetics and have stopped all medication for T2 and blood pressure problems.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    im working on it.. i was told a week ago im like borderline and in the process of reversing it.. fingers crossed ill be back with a success story soon :wink:

Me too that borderline business is a blessing in disguise--so GLAD I have the opportunity to do something about it now...kinda like putting fire under my tail or something. It's a blessing, because doing it for health reasons now is somehow giving me the extra stamina to push it more than when I was doing it for just looks/vanity's sake--that's kinda funny, but I'll take it!

You will be back with a success story and me too! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I started here 651 days ago after being diagnosed with T2.
    A1C 6.9%. My BMI was 44%.
    I was on 2 meds for hypertension, 2 for cholesterol and Metformin.
    Last Sept I was taken off all my meds. :bigsmile:

There is hope :drinker:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    A year and a half ago, borderline high blood pressure: 145/90
    Now: 107/68

I credit diet and exercise even more than the weightloss. Losing weight has been a great side-benefit.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Bless God Almighty, WOW! I was hoping to hear about diabetes and super hoping to hear about other sicknesses/diseases and illnesses and honey Lupus is a super big one and that you are in remission and how you got there is fabulous! Thanks so much for posting!!! WOOT!!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Bless God Almighty, WOW! I was hoping to hear about diabetes and super hoping to hear about other sicknesses/diseases and illnesses and honey Lupus is a super big one and that you are in remission and how you got there is fabulous! Thanks so much for posting!!! WOOT!!!!

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump for later read
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have T2, I can't seem to loose any weight even though I feel I am trying. What diets are you following? Low carbs or just calorie counting. I've been calorie counting and exercising 45 mins at least 4 x a week on treadmill at speed of 2.5mph and incline of 6.5%. What could I be doing wrong? Please help -I want to desperately loose weight and get of medication. Thanks
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies. My doctor told me I have a 60% chance of getting it when I get older. I'm not gonna except that. Plus my dad and both of my grandmothers have it. Lately I have been excercising and eating healthier. I even check my blood sugars every once in a while just to where I'm at. So far so good.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and that will never go away; however, I have been able to improve my AC1 overall (I did have a setback bringing it up to 7.6 from 6.6 that I'm still upset with myself about but am working closely with my medical team to fix it). Prior to moving to the insulin pump a few days ago (the drs agreed that my control wasn't "bad" and that I was doing all I could but it just wasn't enough), I had brought my long term insulin dosage down from 47 to 21 units a day and 20+ units of short acting insulin per meal, to about 5-8. No, I didn't beat the disease, but I did put it in check and you are 100% capable of doing the same. You have an opportunity I will never have - you CAN beat it, you CAN avoid it, and if you did such amazing work with just vanity being your motivation, I 100% believe you will succeed. Good luck!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!:smile:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and that will never go away; however, I have been able to improve my AC1 overall (I did have a setback bringing it up to 7.6 from 6.6 that I'm still upset with myself about but am working closely with my medical team to fix it). Prior to moving to the insulin pump a few days ago (the drs agreed that my control wasn't "bad" and that I was doing all I could but it just wasn't enough), I had brought my long term insulin dosage down from 47 to 21 units a day and 20+ units of short acting insulin per meal, to about 5-8. No, I didn't beat the disease, but I did put it in check and you are 100% capable of doing the same. You have an opportunity I will never have - you CAN beat it, you CAN avoid it, and if you did such amazing work with just vanity being your motivation, I 100% believe you will succeed. Good luck!

You reply has absolutely made my day!!! You're looking tremendous and the work you've done is nothing less than fabulous, period. Thank you ever so much for you posting! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Take a look at the link of the Newcastle University study. It helped me a lot. The study contends that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat.

My story. I used to be skinny but gained weight slowly at a rate of 2kg per year for over 20 years. Was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2012. Had an hba1c over 10 and was initially prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Started restricting calories with MFP and exercising in a more structured way. Had lost 10% of body weight in 6 months and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing metformin due to improved hba1c.

By the time I hit 20% of body weight lost, my hba1c was 4.9 with only a single 500 mg tablet of metformin every other day. Was told to stop medicating completely. Next week I do my first hba1c after 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much.

Yippee. Just got my hba1c result back. 5.0 after three months without medication.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I have put on a good 100 lbs in the last 4 years or so. :( It had me back on bp pills quickly after just a little weight gain. Been on them 4 years. Had to switch was having anxiety issues that first I was sure had to be something wrong with my heart but was just anxiety. I've gotten past that and off meds for that. NOW to get off the Metformin and beta blocker will take time and much more commitment.

My a1C rose from 5.9 in 2012 to now 6.1 just a steady creep up. My NP(never see a Dr just the nurse) increased my Metformin at my last visit and I now take 500mg twice a day. :( I wanted to get off that increase was certainly not what I wanted but I do NOT want to go down the diabetic route like my mother. My dad has had some issues as well but controls his with diet and supplements and regular checking. For a while he was training for a 10 day hike through the Appalachian Trail so that probably helped lower it back too.

Thanks for those that provided links for info. I need to do all the research and get all the motivation to get off the meds and get to a healthy weight. My bp I know from past experience tends to drop as the weight does so I know I can get off both.

Oh and also my triglycerides have shot up steadily since my switch to the beta blocker from an ACE inhibitor kind. I have read that is common but my total cholesterol is fine just that and my good cholesterol runs low a bit and has dropped even more. I used to be over 200 but dropped to 150 with fish oil and using flax seeds often and seen it go down. This past lab showed my total at 153 so its still okay just wanna up the good and lower those pesky triglycerides.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Take a look at the link of the Newcastle University study. It helped me a lot. The study contends that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat.

My story. I used to be skinny but gained weight slowly at a rate of 2kg per year for over 20 years. Was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2012. Had an hba1c over 10 and was initially prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily. Started restricting calories with MFP and exercising in a more structured way. Had lost 10% of body weight in 6 months and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing metformin due to improved hba1c.

By the time I hit 20% of body weight lost, my hba1c was 4.9 with only a single 500 mg tablet of metformin every other day. Was told to stop medicating completely. Next week I do my first hba1c after 3 months without medication. Hoping it hasn't crept up too much.

Yippee. Just got my hba1c result back. 5.0 after three months without medication.

Great to hear. I know its totally possible for me too. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!