Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to limit the size of the group, Josie? Obviously there are lots of us who need support. I don't think it's important to "know" everyone in the group. Maybe that's just me however.

Honestly the most important thing for me is that the group is made up of people who are determined to lose weight instead of just fooling around.

I'd also like to see a lot more open diaries.

Kathy
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did rather well at the fish fry.The fish was small and i ate 2 pieces and gave the other piece to my husband.I ate great northern beans,no seasoning and ate 1/2 pc cornbread with it.I also ate a baked potato,1st. potato i've had this year besides a sweet potato.Gave my dessert away.Drank water.I went over my calories by 109 so I exercised for 30 minutes,had calories left.
    I've never gone over my calories on MFP and didn't want to start.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Kathy: I tried another group for support before I started this one & there were so many people on it that it took hours to read all the comments for 1 day! And to comment on there posts was too overwhelming for me. This is why I wanted to limit the size of this one! We have a bunch of ladies who are faithful in posting, sharing & encouraging already. We already have 42 ladies who have joined us, & if some of them do not post for a while or fall away we can always invite others to join the group later.

merrygrannie: You did awesome at your fish fry & good for you for exercising too!
  • LauraJayne8digs
    LauraJayne8digs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with sodakat, I enjoy reading everyones posts...it keeps motivated, the more the merrier. Although I have never been on a board before, so you may be right about it getting too big. I truly feel that I am in the right place.
    I am inspired by the like-mindedNESS, especially the honesty of bad days and the encouragement of "dust yourself off and move forward"
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Y'all are certainly helping me. Knowing others are staying on track and getting back on the wagon when they fall off is good reinforcement.

Today I did a 30 minute exercise video and walked the dogs (in the rain, so that should count double!) and I'm contemplating doing the video again tonight. One of the times I was successful losing, I did the video twice a day, so maybe it will work again.

I've been on track with food for six days now. Limiting carbs seems to be the ticket. Well, that, and having nothing junky in the house.
  • Philosophy666
    Options
    Hi Josie, the work you are doing helping everyone and commenting and supporting is just wonderful. I totally understand two things. One, you started the group and you feel you need to support all those on the group. Two, you are finding the time commitment for doing this a burden on yourself. It is great to have someone to tie everybody together and keep the cohesion of the group. I don't know if anybody else can come up with an alternative to limiting the members on this group, but may I make a suggestion? By all means work within what you can manage, but instead of limiting others from actually joining, perhaps have another group where those wanting to join can join, and join in the full knowledge that it is not a supported group - rather it is a group only supported by its own members (ie one you don't need to personally support), then those ladies can be invited over to the "closed" group in due course. What concerns me is the number of people wanting to get some sort of support and us "older" ladies may require a place to chat until we can come into a more supportive environment. I am happy to respond to posters on another group just to help them start off. It's just an idea. Oh, I never did give my age. It's no secret - 63. Thanks for the work you do.
  • arlene1122
    Options
    I was just wondering if there is a way of knowing if you have been included once the thread is closed? I have only been on MFP for 6 days and really liked the idea of being part of a group of women of the same age/weight issues. I am still finding my way around the site so haven't done a great deal of posting, but it is not due to lack of interest, simply to just getting my feet wet :-)
  • realtrueblue
    realtrueblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well done! i'm going to a fish fry next Friday and your coping strategies will be very useful to me. Thank you!
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The larger our group grows the harder it is to get to communicate & support one another. I understand what a couple of ladies are saying about keeping the group open so everyone can join that wants to. This is not my decision to make however I have tried two different open ended groups for older ladies. In the end I dropped out as others did due to feeling I was typing & a lot of times there was no response at all.
    Depression continues to rear it's ugly head! I physically feel sick, tired and live with a negative husband. I had not been to the store in a couple of weeks & had to go to Wal-Mart to get groceries on my own. I hate to admit it but I still feel so bad it took me two hours to get my shopping done. So on my home I stopped at Sonic & got junk food. The good thing is that he did unload the car for me & then I put things away. As you can imagine I have taken a long nap today. I was just so tired. Thanks for listening everyone.
    Monthly challenge- 8 glasses water- got it done for today :drinker:
    Food plans-picked up some good veggies & will have my favorite tomorrow spaghetti & salad. Has any one ever bought lean cuisine salad toppings in the freezer section? I did the last time I was in the store. They are great you just add lettuce or other veggies you might want. I picked up two more today.
    Have a good evening ladies & thank you for all your support. :flowerforyou:
  • sodakat
    Options
    Had some calories left over this evening so I'm enjoying a cup of tea with 4 teaspoons of sugar!!! Yummy. Sugar makes me happy.

Reading these posts is making me hungry for fried fish! I live on a lake but its still frozen. We may have fried fresh fish in early May if things go well. :)
  • realtrueblue
    realtrueblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Four spoonfuls of sugar? You wild woman! I saw "Saving Mr. Banks" earlier this week for the first time - and absolutely loved it! Your post makes me want to jig around the house singing "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...." Enjoy that tea!
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Well I am getting mixed messages from some of you ladies as to putting this group under groups heading!!!!!!!!! It is begining to depress me, sorry but I started this thread under motivation & support to see if I would get ladies who were similar age & weight loss goals, so we could be supportive & encouraging to each other. I did not want the group to get too big that it would be too hard to keep up with everyone intimately to help support them & them me on our journey to healthier bodies & minds. It is not going to be a big deal to go to the "GROUPS" heading to post to all the ladies on this thread. For those of you that do not want to follow , You too can start another open group on the title of Motivation & support. But remember once you start a group you have to change the thread to the next month or it just gets to long. Hence our thread is already at the 8th. page so I was planning to make a new thread for April. I will be making a new thread under "GROUPS" with the same heading: WOMEN 55YRS. & OLDER WITH 75LBS. OR MORE TO LOSE", once I open it all you have to do is go to Message Boards, then scroll down to "GROUPS" & under that you will find our group name. I will add all 43 members usernames so you will be able to post on that thread. Hoping this will work. I will come back & let you know when I have finished in the mean time you can post on here. Josie
  • Karolsccc
    Karolsccc Posts: 46
    Options
    hi everyone
    I am a binge eater as well or some would say emotional eater - who knows and I don't care. it is another day and we are not perfect. just tracking the food is helping me. I am not going to be able to count calories all my life but I can write out what I eat. it helps keep me honest. Self talk, talk out loud, say a strong saying - I will not feel this damn guilt because I had a donut. no guilt will help me not eat the next donut cause i feel guilty!
    I will probably never remember everyones name but I appreciate all the comments. I started tonight on page one and read them all.
    Secret - if I am craving sweet - I pull out the light cool whip - 3 tables is like 30 calories. and I might just have 6 tablespoons! and not go to the store and buy a chocolate bar!
    I am not much of a cook so I eat a lot of raw food. I go to the store and buy the veggie trays that are already made up - love it for work and lunches.
    take care and do not beat up on yourself.
  • sodakat
    Options
    Well I am getting mixed messages from some of you ladies as to putting this group under groups heading!!!!!!!!! It is begining to depress me, sorry but I started this thread under motivation & support to see if I would get ladies who were similar age & weight loss goals, so we could be supportive & encouraging to each other. I did not want the group to get too big that it would be too hard to keep up with everyone intimately to help support them & them me on our journey to healthier bodies & minds. It is not going to be a big deal to go to the "GROUPS" heading to post to all the ladies on this thread. For those of you that do not want to follow , You too can start another open group on the title of Motivation & support. But remember once you start a group you have to change the thread to the next month or it just gets to long. Hence our thread is already at the 8th. page so I was planning to make a new thread for April. I will be making a new thread under "GROUPS" with the same heading: WOMEN 55YRS. & OLDER WITH 75LBS. OR MORE TO LOSE", once I open it all you have to do is go to Message Boards, then scroll down to "GROUPS" & under that you will find our group name. I will add all 43 members usernames so you will be able to post on that thread. Hoping this will work. I will come back & let you know when I have finished in the mean time you can post on here. Josie

I understand your reason for wanting to keep the group small. I just wondered why. I hope this group will focus as much on not failing as on patting each other on the back when we do!
  • JosieMomGramma
    Options
    Hi ladies: I had to change the name of the group when I opened it on the "Groups" heading as it would not take this topic name. I changed it to " Gals 55+ & 75lbs+ to lose" You will find it under the Message Board heading "Groups" Just scroll down to almost the bottom of the Message Board. I have added all your names to the being invited as members, so hope it works for you to join. Let me know as I will stop by here for the next couple of days
  • Philosophy666
    Options
    Hi Josie, if that's what you want to do, then I shall of course become a member of that group. I understand the living with a negative person bit. My ex was like that and he was totally draining. These days I tend to look for affirmations to keep me going and realisations about the "human condition", meaning us all. One really interesting one for me, was the realisation that our emotions are under our control, they just don't happen. Here is the quote for you to consider "We go to our emotions, they don't come to us". Also, it's really important to not take on the burden of the other person and internalise it. They are an individual and need to take responsibility for their emotions, their thoughts, their behaviours and their life, just like we all do. Another thing my ex used to do was "blame". He was a master at it. My attitude was then, and is now that I don't have "blame" in my life. Blame is a way of projecting ones problems and behaviour choices onto another. That's abdicating self responsibility. So, I used to say that there's no point blaming me or claiming I am the catalyst of your behaviour, because we both make choices whether they be thoughts, behaviours or actions. In other words, "stuff you and leave me be". I don't know if that helps or not, but I wish you all the best.
  • Philosophy666
    Options
    Josie, I can't find it. Is it possible for you to copy the URL and just paste it, so all we have to do is click on it?
    Of course it may be that technology is a bit slow in coming through, but it would make things so much easier for people like me who, if they can get it wrong, will. Thanks.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Keeps pulling me up to old site
  • Karolsccc
    Karolsccc Posts: 46
    Options
    hello
    so…55 + older + 75 or more to lose! This is the thread to look for. I only want to go on one thread and I will be able to keep on this one - so I am good. Thank you.
    I also have a question. I know we are suppose to drink lots of water but counting the calories for milk or sugar free juice - can i not count that as water too…or liquid free of caffeine? I thought I could count good liquids as part of my fluid/liquid intake.
    I would appreciate your opinions.
  • jackies_42
    jackies_42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the invite to the group. I think it will be easier to find you as a group rather than a thread. Not being an expert on this program, I lose the thread for days and then find it again. ha ha ha.