Women 55yrs. & older with 75lbs. or more to lose!

Options

Replies

• Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    looks like the group to be in - i'm 54 (but i'll be 55 in June), so barely make the cut, but I've got about 95 pounds to lose.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Plain water is okay for me. Not too fond of artificial sweetener taste even though I know people say they can't taste it. I kind of wish that soda/pop/tonic (whatever you call it where you live) were the reason I was fat because then I could give it up and lose weight. Hah, hah.

I have a little glass that holds a bit over 8 ounces. For some reason it's easier for me to fill that glass with water and empty it many times a day than it is to sit down with a bigger glass of water. Also, I've been drinking water that is not icy and that seems to go down easier too. Of course if it were hot I'd want it super cold or icy. Just something I've noticed in my efforts to drink more water. I have a niece who always asks for a glass of water without ice in restaurants. Thought she was odd, til now.

In the evening if I'm watching TV, I am fine with sipping from a large glass of water. Not sure why that is either.

Hot tea and ice tea work for me, along with a cup of coffee in the morning. I do use 70 calories of my daily allotment from Vanilla Coffee Creamer in the morning. Being able to continue that and still lose weight is VERY helpful to me. I don't care so much about sweet tea though -- or at least not enough to devote calories to it right now!

One liquid I've been enjoying is kind of salty but it serves to sooth my salty snack craving and that is a virgin bloody mary made with 4 oz Clamato juice and 4 oz Spicy Mrs. T and T bloody mary mix. I add an olive and a splash of pickle juice or olive juice, some hot sauce and maybe a 1/4 tsp bloody mary rimmer. Then I need a couple glasses of water afterwards!
  • DaisyGrammy
    DaisyGrammy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    we have a great group that you ladies would fit in perfectly with...come join us at:
    Fifty, Female and Fun!

Look for groups and come join us!

Fifty, Female and Fun!
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone so glad to see everyone posting & New ones joining. It makes me feel very supported.
    Josie-Thank you so much for coming up with tis idea & getting us altogether.
    Challenge-So far I have only drank 4glasses of water today so I really need to step up my game plan. It is real important for me to do for health of course however I also take 2 aldactone (high blood pressure water pills) plus a regular blood pressure pill. Usually I like to drink the Arizona green tea & I count it as a glass of water does anyone else do that?
    Tuesday coming up event- I am waiting to be called back to have a carotid artery ultrasound done. You know how it is the doctor says yeah you need to do this & puts in an order. Then you wait for the insurance company to approve it.
    Socially-that drink sounds wonderful. I can almost taste it I just can't deal with the sodium.
    Well I am off to drink more water have a great evening everyone. :drinker:
  • cybilw
    cybilw Posts: 1
    Options
    I was advised by my nutritionist that if you crave sweets it's due to a lack of protein in your diet and if you crave salty things, it's a lack of grains in your diet. I hope this helps you. I make a conscious effort to remember this, and review my eating patterns when the cravings start. Anyhoo, just food for thought! Good luck! :smile:
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    annglenn - glad to see you - feeling any better? Josie - I will try the probiotics probably after my run of the meds I'm on. No diary at all - not even calcium supplements. I'm up to the water challenge!

Ya'll will be proud of me..... I'm working on my 10th glass of water today!!!! I've hated every sip of every ounce - but......will see if this helps the UTI thing. If so I might have to incorporate it into my health regime i.e. logging every day, exercising 5-7 days a week. I had a rough night - drinking water and up almost all night - it was very painful going potty until about 3:45 a.m.

sodakat - Bloody Mary sounds yummmm.... but non-virgin for me! I'm planning on happyhouring during vacation but I will be "making room" for drinks in my daily calorie total. I'm trying to leave Thursday instead of Friday - it will probably depend on if my last prescription gets called in tomorrow - or not!
  • sodakat
    Options
    Hi Cybil. I guess I don't "crave" salt but sometimes I want something salty. I've been able to stay below the MFP sodium guidelines lately and still have the bloody mary drink. On days I eat bacon or lunchmeat or something that contains a canned product like kidney beans or crushed tomatoes, there isn't much sodium wiggle room.

I've never heard of the need more grains theory and that does seem odd because I eat grains yet if I want some kind of snack, I'd much rather have something salty than sweet -- yet until I started MFP I would say I was lower in protein than I am now. Interesting ideas regardless.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    had a successful day yesterday!! First time in a long time. Feeling a bit more positive today although still way too stressed about going back to work or not
    I drink tons of water each day and your body will get used to it so you are not up all night!!
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Loadsandloads: Welcome to our support group, hope it is the encouragement you need to continue your challenges with losing weight.
    Grankakes: You are very welcome to join us & hope we can show you some encouragement & you can also support the gals on this weight loss journey we are all on!
    Sodakat: Thanks for your input on your water intake suggestions. I like a slice of lemon in my water sometimes. I have even put an orange slice in it too. LOL to the Bloody Mary!
    Cybil: Hope you are joining our group. Tell us a little about yourself.
    Kjurassic: Good for you for getting your water plus in today!
    Karen: Glad you had a successful day yesterday! Hope things will settle down for you on the job front!

I had a good day today, walked lots stayed under my calories & drank my water. I had fun at my pottery class tonight too. Will be sad when it is over. It's 2 hours away in the evenings that I can't think of food!!!!!!!!! LOL.
    Tue: I do have an upcoming dinner tomorrow night & a fundraiser dinner on Sat. night. So I will plan to really save my calories for dinner & keep them low for breaky & lunch. Both dinners are at our local Pub, so I will only have one Canadian beer that is only 67 calories & water for the rest of the night. So that is how I plan to keep on track.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    OK... vacation time for me tomorrow so can't spend too much time "visiting." Got my 8 glass of water in today - will be driving all day tomorrow so not sure it's gonna happen tomorrow! Does wine count as a glass of water? :smile: I plan on having a few cocktails on vacation - do those liquids count or do I still have to get in the water....It does keep you feeling full all the time - too full! Makes me not want to eat - oh....guess that's the point?!!! :laugh:

Wednesday's topic is new ideas for exercising. I'm into the walking - probably the oldest form of exercise that exists... I love walking outside but do have some Leslie Sansone dvds for inside walking when the weather is bad. I don't have any new ideas - wish I did to make any kind of exercising more fun but.......we gotta move it or we're not gonna lose it, right?

I'll be in the mountains of N. Carolina with very little access to internet or cable tv - will be communing with nature - it decompresses me! But....will try to check in on all of you from time to time.

Josie - I actually kind of collect pottery - I love it and would love to take a class - hurry retirement!!! (I still have 2 1/2 years to go)

Stay true to your plan and be accountable to yourself. I know it will happen for us!
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well looks like the word challenge gives me a push. I am on my 10 th. Glass of water.
    Jurassic-sorry I missed getting to tell you happy vacation.
    Wednesday's goal- New exercise for me today was getting outside, walking, enjoying warmer weather. I also took some of my bagged up things to goodwill. Whew it's great to start feeling better & to have a warmer day outside.
    Josie-what are you making in pottery class? I bet that is fun . The only thing close to that I have done is painting ceramics. And that was a lot of fun.
    Thanks everyone for coming to this page, your encouragement and your suggestions.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Kjurssic: Hope you have a wonderful time on your holidays. Move lots to keep burning those extra food splurges you will be having! Keep us posted when you can. Thanks for your encouragement!

Ann: So glad you were able to take a walk & get out in the fresh air. Good for getting your water intake down! I made in pottery first of all a vase, then a bird feeder shaped like a house with lots of half rounded windows, with bright red roof. Last night I made a nice size bowl, which will be fired & then I can glaze it , then fired again. Can't wait to see it.

I too got my water in again today. I cleaned my house for exercise today. Cleaning ceiling fans that were pretty bad from our wood stove; washed floors & cupboards. Also went through our summer clothes & re-washed them to get ready for our trip in April. We also took a short walk tonight after supper, but it sure was cold outside! It was a crazy day today, was clouded over, then started to snow, then hail, then the sun came out , then it started to rain. A real mixed bag for sure.
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Thanks for the invite to the new group. Took a bit to finally find you. I ended up just going to Karen's home page and clicking on the group from there. I know after my first visit, it'll show up on my page. I'm sorry to have been absent for awhile. February was a total write off for me health wise. March seems to be better although I'm still not 100%. I've been trying to watch my food intake although I hadn't been logging in. It was actually a conversation with my son last week that had me coming back and logging my food again. He lives out in Alberta and is really concerned with all the health problems I've had in the last year and was urging me to take better care of myself. He asked me if I thought coming back here to MFP would help and I said it probably would. I spoke to him again this week and told him I was back on and he was very happy. Its funny because it's usually my daughter who worries the most about me. My son usually doesn't worry about things like this but his dad (my ex) has also had some health issues this past year although his are a lot more serious than mine, so maybe thats whats got him worried.
    Anyway, I'm back and will do my best to visit often and participate in the discussions. I'll start reading from page 1 and get caught up with everyone. I'm glad you started the new site. I too have trouble keeping up when there are too many people in a group. Its too hard to find the time to keep up with page after page of comments every day. Something a little more personal and intimate works better for me. I noticed that there's going to be a loose daily discussion as well which works. I'll look over it and try to join in. Thanks again for inviting me to join and I look forward to making a few new friends here. Charlotte
  • kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi Again Ladies, I just finished reading all of the posts from day 1 and am happy to notice I have quite a bit in common with most of you. I am 59, will be 60 in August. I still work full time as a registered nurse and work 12 hour night shift. Talk about trouble with night time eating. Thats my day time. I am a divorced mother of 2, grandmother of 6. I live in Ontario, Canada, about an hour east of Toronto. Glad to see I'm not the only Canadian on this forum. I have too many health issues to talk about but the main ones are that I have had both my knees replaced (6 years ago), have suffered with arthritis since my 20's, and have had too many back injuries to mention. It has left me with degenerative disc disease and 3 prolapsed discs. It really hinders the type of exercise I can comfortably do. I love to walk, but any long distance walking is out of the question due to the back pain. Last summer I had my brother in law fix up my old bike figuring I would try to start riding again. But, my first time out I almost fell and it scared me so bad that I didn't try again. I am going to get over that fear and try again once the weather gets better. My main source of exercise when I can get up the energy on my days off is to work out on my Wii Fit board. I love the variety of exercises and the music is fun. I have a particular program called exerbeat which I love. I can do some yoga stretches, karate, boxing, dancing or aerobics all from the same program. Never boring. I've tried exercise videos but I get bored with them bacause its the same thing every day.
    I have no problem with water as I'm not much of a pop drinker and usually get down 8-10 glasses a day. Someone asked about substituting other fluids for water and the answer is generally no. You can count your herbal teas or water with lemon (or oranges slices) but usually you don't count regular tea or coffee or ones that have any sugar substitutes in as they have their own problems. As a general rule, water is water. I like mine room temperature or just cool, seldom drink ice water.
    I hope I can be as supportive of you as some of my MFP friends have been to me over the last couple of years since joining. Seems whenever I start to slip and miss some time here, someone (thank you Karen L.) hauls my butt back in here. If any of you ladies wants to add me to their friends list, just mention this group and I will add you on. Have a great day. I'll be sleeping when you all come on and read my posts. Don't forget to drink your water. Cheers. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Charlotte
  • sodakat
    Options
    Welcome Charlotte! There seem to be quite a few Canadians on MFP forums -- people from all over really. I live in South Dakota.

Yesterday I drove a group of H.S. seniors to a county government event at our county seat (I drive school bus). They met with our county officials, then took a tour of the jail and had lunch at the American Legion post which sponsors the event. There were cookies in the kitchen at the jail and I ate one peanut butter cookie. Then at the Legion we were served bar-b-ques (which are sloppy joes in most of the country), potato chips and ice cream bars. I did not have the ice cream bar and ate about 8 chips. You know what? It was really nice to know I could eat one cookie and enjoy the same food as the kids for lunch yet still meet my daily calorie goal including a decent supper last night. Honestly I think this is why I'm able to succeed with MFP compared to other "diets" I've tried in the past.

I'm going to drag my bike out as soon as I can make it across the muddy yard. Its been a long time since I've ridden so it may be a rust bucket!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    sodakat- great job on your choices at theouting. I could not have stopped at just a few chips and only one cookie!!! Apparently i do not have an 'off' switch when it comes to food

karenj- oooh, your vacation sounds wonderful!! No internet, no phone...just being in the bush is so healing but yes, you still need to drink lots of water!!

charlotte- glad you found us!! my kids keep threatening to have an 'intervention' if i dont get my act together with my health. I just tell them to 'bring it on' :laugh:

apparently i can stay on track for only one day in a row...:cry: followed by 2 not so good days but seem to be feeling better about it today so here's hoping
    gotta go to the bank and renew my mortgage later. Who knows what to choose these days??? gonna try and get a walk in around the lake after cause the sun finally came out after the downpour of rain yesterday
    My son is coming down from northern alberta later today with a load of bees. I am so excited to see him as i have not seen him since christmas and he will be here for 10 days. Although with the amount of work he has to do with the the bees i may not see him much except to feed him. Sure wish my DIL and grandkids could have come with him too :cry: But they will be here at easter!!
  • cabco901
    cabco901 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have that much lose but, when I started my weight-loss journey I was close. I started dieting because my dr. wanted to give me meds for diabetes. I knew myself enough to know that the meds would only be a crutch for me and my eating habits wouldn't change. I asked her to give me some time to bring my numbers down. She gave me 6 weeks. I lost a few pounds and the numbers changed a little. She still wanted me to have the meds. I asked for 6 more weeks and asked her exactly where she wanted my numbers to be. I lost 30 lbs. total and have maintained my numbers and weight for a few years. (without meds) I've had many changes in my life recently and slipped up on my maintainence. My numbers are up again. My new dr. put me on Metformin. Even though I've kept the 30 lbs off I still have 20 to go. I am trying to walk every day and keep my calories down. It's been harder this time because I am recovering from a recent surgery. I had a malignant tumor removed from my right kidney. I'm hoping my numbers were high because of the stress and lack of exercise.

My husband and I are trying to eat 2 meatless meals a week. I have found a few recipes that we really like. Pinterest is a good source.

I can't walk for very long yet. I try walk two or three times a day for 10 mins.

I'm glad to find you and your group.
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am 57 and still have around 200 pounds to lose. Yes, it sure is a lot harder at this age. When I was at this weight at a younger age I could shop for hours, exercise, and walk everywhere. Now it's so much harder because of bad knees and arthritis. Today I had a clinic appt. and purposely parked far away so that I could walk. I had my husband time me, and I was dismayed to find out that what seemed like a 20 minute walk was actually a FOUR minute walk, lol :laugh: . And I was out of breath! I find it very helpful reading your posts. Sometimes I feel all alone in this battle!! Oh, my ticker shows my total pounds lost since my top weight, but I've actually only lost 32 pounds since joining MFP.
  • ellenaj52
    ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Does anyone out there have trouble staying with in the allotted points for sugar. I find that if I have more than one piece of fruit a day I am over my limit. Milk also has 11 points. I know our bodies process the sugar in fruit differently. Yet, I know my mom was diabetic and she had to watch how much fruit she ate too. It is still sugar.

I find the following things have worked for me:

Eat small amounts every couple of hours.
    Stay away from processed sugar...tis poison!
    On occasion allow yourself something forbidden and then go on with life...like perhaps twice a month.
    Exercise
    Drink enough water..