27 years old ---------> 300 pounds :'-(

Options

Replies

• rayleenC13
    rayleenC13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Getting started on here is an amazing first step! I am just trying to get back on the bandwagon and we are about at the same place in our journey! Feel free to add me, I think having more people to help keep on going and motivated the better!
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can say this to everyone on the MFP page but I'll say it anyways. You are a great inspiration! You have my support as you go through this challenge. Remember to take it one step at a time and feel free to add me! -hugs-
  • closertoedge
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm almost 30 years old and I was 355.5 pounds. As everyone has said and will say, it's a long journey, but it's one worth taking. Sometimes you don't realise at first what you're putting into your body, but as days pass you'll see yourself eating less and less. You haven't failed for going over your calories. It happens. The important thing is to log everything and to realise that no one is perfect but that you'll do better the next day. And when you have those times when you only lose a pound, don't feel bad. Just google what a pound of fat looks like and you'll feel much better.

Feel free to add me if you like. :)

59214647.png
  • dancingmuffin
    dancingmuffin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hey feel free to add me im 24 and started at 300 lbs in december and im down to 264. And welcome to mfp and good luck with your loss
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am about 1/3 of the way to my goal. Still have over 100 pounds to lose.

My one, probably most important, piece of advice. Weight everything you eat. Even liquids if you can. Measuring cups can be evil in that they most of the time are incorrect. There is a you tube video about it. The little extra calories you get from measuring vs weighing could make or break your weight loss.

Best of luck to you and your husband. Not all women would have appreciated what he said but kudos to him for saying it. Did he make an account here too??
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Please add me! I love to help and be supportive.

It was so hard for me to admit when I hit obese on the charts. So hard, in fact, that I argued with it. I said the scale was stupid, it was wrong, it doesn't take everything into consideration, but I have lots of muscle... But, I noticed, as long as I kept making those excuses, I kept gaining. My reality hit, not with a number on the scale or obese on another scale but when I realized I could not even run one block, when I panted from walking and my knees were killing me. Then, I saw a picture of myself and realized I really was lying to myself - I LOOKED obese!

I am not trying to lose right now, but give me about 3 months and I will be back at it again. I log on daily and as soon as my baby is born I will be right there with you trying to lose to live :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    When you went over your calories you did not fail--logging is a good tool to see how you went over your calories and is a good way to help you better stick to your daily goals.

This.. it's good to just log for at least a week or so.. see what you're actually taking in and compare those numbers to what you should be taking in. Being aware is the first step.

And even when you fail, just start over fresh at the next meal. Don't fall into the "Oh I over ate, my diet is now ruined for the next week" mentality.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit older... 31 right now, and when I started, I was 485. My breaking point was when the spinal surgeon told me that while my spine is crumbling due to genetic cause, it would be pointless to do any surgery because my weight would ruin the results.

My becoming so heavy was a rocky road of eating disorders, self-hate, secret eating and shame, coupled with those around me, who love me, telling me that they love me "squishy" and therefore not really motivating me to make any changes. It finally clicked about 2 years ago that I had to do the changing for ME and not keep waiting for someone to get fed up with my fat for me.

It's not an easy road by any means. Losing half of ourselves (I'm in this same boat, 485 start, 215 goal, that's over 50% of my initial body weight) is not just about weight, but about changing how we know ourselves. To be successful is to face some of the biggest challenges of our lives... but we're here to struggle together.

I'm always, always looking for other super-sized people to do this with, because people facing similar challenges are just plain hard to find. Anyone can add me if they want to, just leave a comment in the request for me :)

Just keep taking steps. Maybe today will just be one step. Maybe that's all you can do right now... but you'll soon find the endurance and strength to take the second, third, fourth... before you know it, you'll have walked a mile in your new shoes.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    I just recently dropped the "morbidly" from obese. I am now merely obese. If I could do it, you can too. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. You're taking that important first step and I'm with you on the journey. :flowerforyou:
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I started January at 305lb... I am now 278 and trending downward.

If I can do it, so can you!!

The main thing to remember is that you will fail- lots of times. You will have a day where you eat 1500+ calories in one sitting. You will have a day where it seems like you can never lose the weight, there is SO much of it. You'll have a few of these days. But think of every day as a new day. So you ate crappy yesterday... so what! Today is a brand new day. A new day to create a better you. There are lots of obstacles on the road to success, and you just have to keep persevering through to reach your final destination. I hear this quote all the time on here, but it's so true "Losing weight is not a sprint, it's a marathon." Time and dedication is all it takes :)

You've got this!
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I came to this point last year. For me, it was the realization that if I didn't change something, I would be diabetic within a couple of years. For me, .75 pounds a week as a goal was manageable, as the calorie counts were amazingly sane. Start slow, be gentle with yourself, and treat it as a learning process. You do not have to be perfect right away, mistakes are ok, and it doesn't even matter if you go over your calorie count once in a while, as long as OVER ALL you are keeping track of things and staying within your counts, etc. You'll have some moments of mourning when you realize, for example, that Pad Thai is 1000 calories a serving (WUT), but you will adjust and your taste buds will adjust and you will feel better. I promise.

And don't beat yourself up if the weight doesn't, like, fall off. This is a process.
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started.
    In all honesty that was probably the sweetest thing your husband could say. I know it's weird but that was so sweet, because it made you think and gave you the motivation to start, because nothing gets finished if it doesn't get started. Feel free to add me, I would love to join you on your journey. ;0)
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    30, 300lbs, 5'7, second time on MFP and needing motivators. Let's support eachother!
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are definitely in the right place for sound advice, motivation and friendly chats...Best of luck xx
  • rijlee
    rijlee Posts: 13
    Options
    As a physical therapy student, I see the firsthand results of obesity. It's awful I am not going to lie. What does give me hope is that you, unlike many I've encountered seem genuine in wanting to change and that is the biggest step. You have to want it like you mean it and everything from then on is just a matter of doing. Going over your calories on your first few days is not terrible because you're still new. What I suggest is not going full blown crazy caloric cut but a gradual cut here and there while supplementing more physical activities. What I'm trying to say is that, dont make the rookie mistake where you are motivated the first few weeks or so, go crazy hard on diet and exercise, then eventually relapse to your old unhealthy habits. It really helps to gradually swap out bad foods for good ones here and there.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't ever forget you have this support. You will be amazed at how much it motivates you to keep on track. View food diaries. The most important is track everything. You may go over but that's okay for now. You need to become aware of what goes in you. Once you see that you will want to start eating better and better food. I love seeing that I stayed within my daily goal. You can do it!
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What I'm trying to say is that, dont make the rookie mistake where you are motivated the first few weeks or so, go crazy hard on diet and exercise, then eventually relapse to your old unhealthy habits. It really helps to gradually swap out bad foods for good ones here and there.

This is great advice. I would take this to heart. A lifestyle change is necessary, but that's not going to happen overnight. Just don't give up.

May 2012 (before I found MFP), I was in the same boat with you. I was somewhere around 300 lbs, and decided it was time for some serious changes. I lost 80lbs by making better choices and slowly gaining more control over my portions. You can add me if you like, I still have another 70lbs to go. :flowerforyou:
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    Congratulations! Dropping that ugly word (morbidly) from that equally ugly word is my first goal/checkpoint in my weight loss. I have about twenty pounds to go since I started to drop the morbidly. It's hard to be motivated when you're talking such big numbers, and I think it's important to set these smaller goals.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You're not alone o:

I'm 18 and have 140-150 pounds to lose.

Feel free to add me <3