27 years old ---------> 300 pounds :'-(

Options

Replies

• cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    March 14, 2014 1:12 AMI just recently dropped the "morbidly" from obese. I am now merely obese. If I could do it, you can too. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. You're taking that important first step and I'm with you on the journey

Congratulations! Dropping that ugly word (morbidly) from that equally ugly word is my first goal/checkpoint in my weight loss. I have about twenty pounds to go since I started to drop the morbidly. It's hard to be motivated when you're talking such big numbers, and I think it's important to set these smaller goals.
  • ajc824
    ajc824 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm also 27, and have been jumping around between 285 and 303 for the past year or so. Sometimes we really need that jolt to check us into reality! I'd love it we could be friends to support each other on this journey! Please feel free to add me.

:-) Toni
  • Skellwear
    Options
    You did not fail and it doesnt have to be all at once your body needs time to get used to you consuming less calories and food im glad for you to start finding a way to better your life and your hubbys cheers =]!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I started at 270, feel free to add me!
    Good luck on your journey, you can do it!
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You and me Same boat. I'm like 5 foot tall on a good day and started at 330LBS... we are walking the same road..so if you want to add me..and put up with my shenanigans I'm all in. ")
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    As a physical therapy student, I see the firsthand results of obesity. It's awful I am not going to lie. What does give me hope is that you, unlike many I've encountered seem genuine in wanting to change and that is the biggest step. You have to want it like you mean it and everything from then on is just a matter of doing. Going over your calories on your first few days is not terrible because you're still new. What I suggest is not going full blown crazy caloric cut but a gradual cut here and there while supplementing more physical activities. What I'm trying to say is that, dont make the rookie mistake where you are motivated the first few weeks or so, go crazy hard on diet and exercise, then eventually relapse to your old unhealthy habits. It really helps to gradually swap out bad foods for good ones here and there.

excellent advice! :flowerforyou:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your first steps! If you need any extra cheerleaders and support, feel free to add me.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend, i will help in anyway i can. Good luck I know you can do it. After all you made the first step:flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am excited for you that you found this site. Because I really believe it will help you reach your goals.

I reached my highest weight of 307 lb when I was 32, and it scared me. I was in the same spot you are now. I worked my freaking bum off SOOOO hard exercising and depriving myself, then splurging, totally unsure of what and how I should eat and ignorant about calories...and I did lose 45 lb but it took me FOUR YEARS.

Last year at this time, I started MFP at 262 lb and now I weigh 191. The last 71 lb has been SO MUCH EASIER than the first 45 when I was just stabbing in the dark calorie-wise and ignorant of so many things. I worked SO much harder to lose weight before finding this site...it's still not easy all of the time, but it's much much better.

I still want to lose more, but I am the happiest I have been with my body since age 15...and I am 37 now. I really think you will find the weight loss battle easier with diligent logging on MFP, whether or not you go crazy with the exercise too (exercise = ALWAYS a good thing but you don't have to kill yourself with it to see results on the scale, either).

Good luck to you!!!
  • LindaFromNH
    LindaFromNH Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You made the BEST decision of your life when you logged in here and started to REALLY think about the need to lose weight... I am so happy to see you here... I too just started and have to lose 100 pounds, so I will be here right along with you... You CAN DO this and hopefully you WILL :) Please add me as a friend and let's do this together!!!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    When you went over your calories you did not fail--logging is a good tool to see how you went over your calories and is a good way to help you better stick to your daily goals.

This.. it's good to just log for at least a week or so.. see what you're actually taking in and compare those numbers to what you should be taking in. Being aware is the first step.

And even when you fail, just start over fresh at the next meal. Don't fall into the "Oh I over ate, my diet is now ruined for the next week" mentality.

YES!!!! Best advice! Start by just committing to yourself to log everything and don't let yourself give up if you fall for temptation--just get back on it! Congrats on starting ;-)
  • Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am way older than you ... But you can add me if you like :)
  • DonnaVSG
    DonnaVSG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Whatever plan you have, do what works for you. It's going to be tough in the beginning, but don't let a tiny slip up trip you up. One bad meal or day doesn't dictate the rest of your day or week. Day by day and soon enough you will be the shape you desire. MFP is a great resource and can be very educational about your food choices. It's helped me so much over the last couple of years. Adding friends is a great way to get meal ideas too, feel free to add me!
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    YOU AN DO IT! Every time I mess up, you just have to start over, even if its everyday for a year. Just get up the next day and start over. Also you're right to redefine success! I have to do the same thing and the human body seems to respond, too.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Your story made me cry. You took the first and most important steps.
    1. admitting to yourself you have a huge problem and are busy dying
    2. joining mfp and started to log your food
    I started here in May last year over 300lbs. I just started. Every day I logged (okay most days). It has been slow goings for me, but I don't care. I am a heck of a long way ahead from where I started. Some people lose 100lbs in a year. That is not me. If it takes me another 2 years to reach my goal then that is okay. Just stay here, keep on logging. Be honest. If you can't exercise straight away then don't. But exercise your elbow with the water bottle! :wink: I am going to send you friend request. So proud of you!

I wanted to add: Today was a huge win for you!
  • chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You got this! Don't give up :)

Feel free to add me!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, you have taken the first and most important step.

MFP is fantastic because you needn't starve yourself or eliminate any foods to get started. Once you begin seeing the effect of particular foods on your daily calorie goal you will learn which foods you need to manage and which you can eat without using all your daily allowance.

Oh yeah, the friends and support are the best part! You will be amazed at the new life to which you have just committed your very life. Best of luck, I can't wait to see progress pictures along the way.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    PS - I'm really short, like 4'11 (maybe) and I've lost and gained the same 20 to 30 for 5 years.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I'm so happy that you're getting started today. Feel free to add me. I'm usually here a few times a day. I'm happy to give you (or anyone) my email and ways to contact me for those hard times that happen.

You can do this. You can have a healthy life.

Sara
  • xPeacefulx
    xPeacefulx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello im 24 and 270 at the moment,,,, sooo needing to lose a bit. Sence joining MFP i have lost a few pounds :) which im seeing progress! woohoo.... It's definitely one day at a time though, just keep that in mind and don't give up :) . Feel free to add me :)