Eating out becomes scary

Options
I now find eating out is a scary thing to do. My parents want to bring my bro and I out for dinner but I feel scared because I don't know how much the prime ribeye steak I am going to eat weighs.. In a situation like this how do you overcome it? I've totally no idea how much the steak weighs and because of this I'm thinking of not going out to eat with them... So eating out has became a problem for me...

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Threat the outing as your "cheat day" or "cheat meal".

Don't skip out on the Fam just because of a few calories.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Most steakhouses will have the size of the steak in ounces listed on the menu, and if that is not the case, you could ask the server who will either know off hand, or won't mind checking the kitchen for you. Eat a little lighter during the day, or put in a good workout before dinner, so that way you can enjoy a steak and some wine without feeling guilty, because you'll know you deserve it. I find the idea of having "cheat" days throws me off altogether, because there is such a negative connotation around the term. If it suits you, opt for a side of vegetables (I always ask for asparagus and mushrooms with my steak) or a garden salad instead of a baked potato, rice or fries.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Agree! Agree! Agree!
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have read some portion control literature that estimates the amt of food related to your palm. (3oz of steak is the size of your palm) For instance: http://healthyshasta.org/downloads/eathealthy/ServingSizeInHand.pdf. For a night out I usual record what I eat but estimate it. Obviously you can't weigh anything. If it is a special occasion, I will sometimes just record "big dinner" at like 1500 calories, especially if I am tasting a bunch of stuff and can't really record it. This includes alcoholic drinks but with a fairly reasonable portion of food (smallish dinner plate). If it is a regular event, then I try my best to record it.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Simple: You can ask them how much it weighs because generally, steakhouses offer standardized portions. (4, 6, 8, etc. oz.)

For anything else? You can take your best guess and overestimate by a little. And not let calories absolutely control and consume your life. It is VERY hard but it is definitely something to work on.

BTW-I went to an Oktoberfest event at the end of last year when I was losing weight rather than maintaining. I just called it a day and just did a quick add of 4,000 calories.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Part of our weight loss journey is learning how to deal with food. Eating as a family is part of life - a very nice part so please don't miss out. Pass on the starter - enjoy a sensible main course - if it's satisfying you won't want a dessert, but if you do, go for something simple. It's one day; up your exercise on the day and following day and you'll be fine.Have fun :drinker:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Just ask the server how many ounces the steak weighs. It won't be a big deal. I used to work in a steakhouse, and servers are trained to know everything under the sun about the steaks. Customers ask that question often, and it is usually listed on the menu.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The rest of your life will be filled with birthdays/events etc. It does feel scary but just play it by ear, I often look at menu online or share meals with Hub but sometimes I just relax, what matters more is that you resume sensible stuff the next day.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Look at the opportunity that has been placed before you to learn and grow! Don't be skeeeerd, Just roll with it and trust your instincts!

Whatever worries you after your outing are areas that you have more opportunity to research and learn.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Get the menu online, add whatever your going to eat in and then you will see what you have to do to make back the cals. Also since your eating out I wouldnt be to hard on yourself if you go over or get worked up about it. Go out and enjoy your family meal :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Remember that you don't have to eat the entire steak either. You can eat half and take the rest home and you'll have something great to warm up for the next day. I second eating light during the day--this does not mean not eating, or starving yourself. Then you'll have more calories in the evening and can relax and enjoy this family time. Another thing- try to exercise during the day, even if it's just a walk since this also will give you more calories to enjoy--the key word here is enjoy. As others have mentioned, this situation comes up often and you have to be in control and able to handle it. Good luck to you.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I now find eating out is a scary thing to do. My parents want to bring my bro and I out for dinner but I feel scared because I don't know how much the prime ribeye steak I am going to eat weighs.. In a situation like this how do you overcome it? I've totally no idea how much the steak weighs and because of this I'm thinking of not going out to eat with them... So eating out has became a problem for me...

I know how you feel. Sometimes I eat before I go out so I'm not very hungry -- then I order something small and just enjoy the company of other people. I often eat steel cut oats with sliced apple or soup with steamed kale -- filling and low calorie -- then I'm not starving when I get to the restaurant.

Some more ideas:

(1) You can always order something small in any restaurant, like several sides instead of an entrée,
    (2) Include a salad with no dressing and use salt and pepper.
    (3) Drink water instead of soda.
    (4) Skip the bread, greasy potatoes and fries, and anything loaded with mayo. Use mustard instead of mayo -- only has about 5 calories per spoon. Watch for butter added by the kitchen. You can tell the waiter no butter on your food.
    (5) You can also ask the restaurant to box up half your meal, take it home, and eat it the next day.
    (6) If the restaurant has a website, check the calories before you get there so you already have a plan in mind.
    (7) Suggest another restaurant with healthier food.
  • iitanyia
    iitanyia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, there are the standards you can take with you. 4oz of meat is the size of a deck of cards, and a cup of vegetables is the size of your fist.

From there you cut what you can have and push the rest to the side, cover with a napkin or ask the waiter to give you a saucer to place the excess so he / she can take it away.

That way you can enjoy your remaining meal without pressure of the extra food in your face and you aren't fussing with your meal while trying to engage with your family during dinner.

Enjoy your dinner out.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Best answer here. As long as you have been diligently logging your cals a meal with the family isn't going to set you back one iota. Call it a cheat day, call it returning to sanity, call it whatever you want. Just go and enjoy your family and then get back to business. Enjoy it too.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Over time you get pretty good at estimating size. I've even been at the grocery store and looked at the various size cuts and noted their weights, trying to commit them to memory (what little I have). Like another poster mentioned, understand what a 4 oz peice looks like and try to figure how many of those you have on your plate. Always round up in your estimate.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do. I eat out maybe 2x per week and I have to travel on business trips occasionally.

I eat what I want. I mean I eat what I REALLY want. I don't just eat something because it's in front of me or because everyone else is.

I go easy on the booze. Alcohol is loaded with calories. But if I have only one glass of wine and everyone else has two, that means I choose one glass of the best wine on the menu ;-)

I chose healthier options. So I go for salad, skip the bread, add vegetable sides, and often have fish as an entree. I usually skip dessert as well, or share and have just a taste. But again, if I really want that lovely juicy steak, I have some/most of it, and enjoy it. I can't remember the last time I finished a restaurant steak.

While I'm eating, I focus on every delicious mouthful and the wonderful company, not the calories.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advices! I guess I will just go for the dinner because I can't possibly not eat out for the rest of my life!
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

This! If you're taking care of yourself otherwise, then treat yourself to something really good once in a while.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Eating out hasn't become scary. You have become obsessive.

Steak places almost always list the weight of the steak. 7oz. 9oz.
    Just ask how they make it. Lots of places can do it with just salt and pepper.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advices! I guess I will just go for the dinner because I can't possibly not eat out for the rest of my life!

Yup, good attitude. Word of advice -- if the eatery has an online menu, it helps to pre-plan the meal to a certain extent. When eating out, it's generally not the calories in the entree that get you, it's the calories in the side dishes. Most places have healthy side dishes if you know what to ask for.