Is anyone having cheat meals now and then?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lol at all the PC bull****. It's a ****ing cheat meal. That what it is. Whatever you decide to call it doesn't change what it is.

Carry on.

pretty much agree with this. if you're cheating, you're cheating.
    it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely goes against your diet!

Yep, lol. I've said it before, but I think it's good to call it 'cheat'. It doesn't normalize it, and puts the emphasis on the 'it shouldn't happen all the time' part. Although for me it's only cheating if I go over my TDEE anyway.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    My first 'cheat meal' is coming up on Saturday, i've looked at the restaurant menu, decided what i'm going to have and plan to have a longer workout in the daytime, before the meal. Also planning some wine (hell yeah).

How does everyone else plan for a cheat meal? do you log it? Does it stall your weightloss?speed it up?

well this sounds like a planned meal instead of a cheat meal. when I hear cheat meal I picture someone just binging on tons of fried foods and cheese crap and eating like 4000 caories... its stupid to me. now on the other hand pre planning a night out is just part of the weightloss and new lifestyle change journey. I see it as practice for the maintenance stage of it. If I bite it, I write it...even if it put me over my calories. If I go over I just chalk it up to a leaning process of how not to do that in the future. if you cheat, you are only lying to yourself and the scale will know. hwy : have yourself a guilt free and preplanned night out at dinner,. then log it or pre log it.. and move on
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Once a month, give or take, hasn't hurt me a bit
  • GummyBears7779
    GummyBears7779 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hehehehe, well i had two chocolate bars and a handful for alien lollies for lunch on Friday cos of an english party and felt sick afterwards. I dont think those lollies liked me vry much XP
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" meals or days but there are plenty of times where I eat too much. It's all good.

This!

I don't plan to overeat, but when I get together with friends and a nice bottle of wine or two it just happens.
    I don't track it but I make up for it on other days with either more excersise or eating very light for the next couple of days.
    I tend to average calories out over a week anyway, not just day by day so I'll have some blow-out days and some fast days.
  • lauraf130490
    Options
    I have them fairly often, usually a few times a month. I think whether you should call them cheat meals or not is a personal thing and depends upon your goals. For me, it's a lifestyle change, my social life revolves around eating and drinking, it's not going to change any time soon. So if I call them cheat meals I end up feeling guilty about them and not enjoying spending time with my friends and family. If you're not trying to change your life style, i.e. you're just on a short term diet, then it probably works better to call them cheat meals so you'll be more strict about it because they obviously do affect your progress.

I don't go crazy and binge eat, I just choose food I want to eat and enjoy it in moderation. If I want to go and eat steak and chips, have a pudding and a few glasses of wine for my friend's birthday then I will. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, I'll just make sure I don't eat a lot the rest of the day, go an extra day to the gym and be strict the rest of week to make up for it a bit. Yeah it does slow my weight loss down, but I'd rather lose weight slowly and be happy than be miserable and losing quickly.

At the end of the day, what are you going to do once you've lost all the weight? Live your whole life feeling guilty every time you have a nice meal or take away? As long as it's not a regular thing i.e multiple times a week and is in moderation it's not going to make you fat if the rest of time you're eating healthy and exercising.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I just eat food. I don't get hung up on whether they're "cheat" food or not, "good" or "bad" or "naughty" or "healthy" or "dirty". I eat food I like, I aim to hit certain nutritional goals, and meet my calorie goal. Some days I don't quite meet my calorie goal (under or over) and some days I don't hit my nutritional targets, so I just try to do better the rest of the time.

I don't eat at restaurants very often and when I do, I don't log (not may places here have published nutritional info). I almost certainly don't stick to my goals on those occasions, but it's not "cheating", it's just part of life.

I don't know why you need to label it cheating just because you're eating at a restaurant, especially since it sounds like you're going to meet your calorie goal anyway. Have you enforced strict rules on yourself about what you can and can't eat usually?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Going over your goal = cheating for me. It has nothing to do with what I eat.
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    <~~~~~~~~this guy cheats! I think as long as you are consistently hitting your goals then cheat meals once in a while are ok. I'd go crazy if I didn't indulge once in a while.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    RIGHT...what he said.....but to add my two cents, I eat whatever I want for a meal, enjoy, and get back on the healthy living wagon
    Lol at all the PC bull****. It's a ****ing cheat meal. That what it is. Whatever you decide to call it doesn't change what it is.

Carry on.