Ugh....just can't keep logging

Options

Replies

• mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

If you find it boring then you obviously are not really motivated to lose weight..

If she finds calorie counting boring it means she's not motivated to lose weight?

And how did you reach this conclusion?

Thank you.
  • mrsfyredude
    Options

If you find it boring then you obviously are not really motivated to lose weight..

If she finds calorie counting boring it means she's not motivated to lose weight?

because OP cannot find five minutes a day to log food…five minutes a day out of twenty four hours is like one percent of your day …so if someone cannot find one percent of their day to log their food, I would question their motivation ...

and I would question your need to question whether or not I have motivation to lose weight just for the simple fact I find it tedious to write down everything I eat. I have enough to keep track of in my life w/o that, but perhaps you don't and that's why it's easy for you, congratulations, you win.
  • mrsfyredude
    Options
    Just had this conversation with my husband today :)

I lost 100 lbs about 4 years ago and didn't count calories. I paid attention to what I ate. i ate less. I only drank 64 calorie beer (I know it's not real beer to those particular about beer....) and I moved a lot more. A lot more. I portioned my desserts and swapped unhealthy treats like Doritos for better options like light popcorn.

I stsalled out at some point and decided to start counting caloriesa nd it's been a struggle for me. I've half assed tried for the past couple of years to lose about 20 lbs and I've really just maintained. I haven't been dedicated to it as I'm living my life and loving it. UNtil now.

I NEED a change. I am ready to do this. So I started logging my calories again and being more active and I have lost on average a pound a week for the past couple months.

And now I'm toying with the idea of not counting my calories and not logging for a few weeks. I know what I should and shuoldn't eat. I know when I eat when I'm bored. I know when I eat too much of this or too much of that.

I also know that logging has made me more obsessive than usual. I know that at the end of the day if I haven't eaten "enoguh" i feel like I should eat even if I'm not hungry. I know that I feel guilty the second I log my calories. I know that I have issues that I need to talk to someone about regarding food etc and logging exacerbates them at times.

Not everyone is the same. You don't NEED to log calories to lose weight. You do need to have a decificit however you choose to gauge that. It's dangerous to not count and log but it can be done. Eat less of your husband's dinner, eat one less snack, go for an extra walk etc. Use intution if you want.

Obviously calorie counting works and logging works and there are a million great benefits to it but don't feel shame if you decide to NOT do it - but be careful, too.

Best Reply Ever! Thank you, and good luck to us both!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It takes like 2 minutes to do an entire day. Those 2 mins a day have changed my life the most, even above the 30 mins a day I spend exercising. Solution - suck it up and do it anyway.

suck it up butter cup...

And I agree if you can't take 5mins a day to change the rest of your life you don't want it bad enough...how hard is it to type, check, type, check etc...

you want motivation go look in a mirror naked, you want motivation go to success stories,

You want support it's here...

But if you don't want to lose weight don't log...
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The first few months it was an issue for me..but it is such an important part..I can not express just how important. Just to note: I now log my husbands and my kids meals. My husband on his MFP acct and my kids on paper. Talk about daunting lol - however...having the accurate logs help me when I stall or maybe gain or even if I do not lose as much. I can look back an analyze the data. I like numbers...I like data.
    After awhile it becomes a habit...you get used to it and you too will find how much it helps in the process :) I know several people that hate logging :(
    Do the best you can each day and try to be as accurate as possible..before you know it you will become obsessed with logging every morsel!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Anything worth achieving takes effort and sacrifice. If you don't want to do it then don't. But don't complain about failure if choosing not to log doesn't get you to your goal either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

+1 times 1000. Either you want it bad enough to put the effort into it or you don't.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Just had this conversation with my husband today :)

I lost 100 lbs about 4 years ago and didn't count calories. I paid attention to what I ate. i ate less. I only drank 64 calorie beer (I know it's not real beer to those particular about beer....) and I moved a lot more. A lot more. I portioned my desserts and swapped unhealthy treats like Doritos for better options like light popcorn.

I stsalled out at some point and decided to start counting caloriesa nd it's been a struggle for me. I've half assed tried for the past couple of years to lose about 20 lbs and I've really just maintained. I haven't been dedicated to it as I'm living my life and loving it. UNtil now.

I NEED a change. I am ready to do this. So I started logging my calories again and being more active and I have lost on average a pound a week for the past couple months.

And now I'm toying with the idea of not counting my calories and not logging for a few weeks. I know what I should and shuoldn't eat. I know when I eat when I'm bored. I know when I eat too much of this or too much of that.

I also know that logging has made me more obsessive than usual. I know that at the end of the day if I haven't eaten "enoguh" i feel like I should eat even if I'm not hungry. I know that I feel guilty the second I log my calories. I know that I have issues that I need to talk to someone about regarding food etc and logging exacerbates them at times.

Not everyone is the same. You don't NEED to log calories to lose weight. You do need to have a decificit however you choose to gauge that. It's dangerous to not count and log but it can be done. Eat less of your husband's dinner, eat one less snack, go for an extra walk etc. Use intution if you want.

Obviously calorie counting works and logging works and there are a million great benefits to it but don't feel shame if you decide to NOT do it - but be careful, too.

Best Reply Ever! Thank you, and good luck to us both!

Yup because it says everything you want to hear..that you don't have to log, that you can lose weight without logging and yes you can but eventually you can't...then what..

intution works for a while...but not forever...
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lines that I use to get through this journey comes from the computer game Diablo III.

Leah is trying to learn a spell her mother is teaching her. She fails and says, "UGH, This is hard!" Adria, the mother, replies "Everything worth doing is."

That line has stuck with me through everything. Logging food, exercise..etc. If it's worth doing then it's not going to be pleasant. (most of the time)

Yes, I'm a geek and I own it! :)

You can do it. Keep going! *hugs*
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It takes up about 30 minutes a week for me to log everything I eat. I've been doing it for almost three years.

If you can't bother to spend 30 minutes a week, what chance do you have of success?
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Logging is actually my favorite part. I never realized what i was actually eating until i could see all the numbers. And i could never stick with any other diet before this. The structure is what really helps me keep going.
    THIS
    I just love the entire process of logging ...It doesn't take long. I do it on my phone or on the computer . It keep me focus , on target and in control. I will do this forever, with a smile . :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Does it help a lot? yes..is it completely necessary? not always. I'm one of those people who does not have a long enough attention span to log my calories. I just exercise a lot and eat whenever I want to. I'll count once in a while to see what i am actually consuming and make sure it's an ok amount (usually 1800 - 2100 calories). It has definitely slowed down progress compared to when I was counting, but I'm more happy not doing it and as long as there is at least a little progress, there is no need for me.

Good balance there imo.

However, if you are not see in progress (directed at the OP, not the poster above) then I would suggest you put the effort into logging. It does not take long.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Logging is actually my favorite part. I never realized what i was actually eating until i could see all the numbers. And i could never stick with any other diet before this. The structure is what really helps me keep going.

I am with ezloshead above....I log at least a day or two in advance. Today is my 646th day and I'll probably have to log the rest of my life, but I'm okay with that. :bigsmile: I've yo-yo'd dieted thru most of my life and am finally in my goal range and I'm planning to stay there, and being accountable for what I bite is the only way it's going to work for me. Everyone is different and if not logging/tracking what you eat works for you, that's fantastic.

I pre plan/log my meals but add a lot of extras to nite snacks so I can adjust/change thru out the day if I eat something unplanned or whatnot ...this way I have an idea where I stand and find I never go over my calories (1250 currently until I up to maintenance)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because OP cannot find five minutes a day to log food…five minutes a day out of twenty four hours is like one percent of your day …so if someone cannot find one percent of their day to log their food, I would question their motivation ...

and I would question your need to question whether or not I have motivation to lose weight just for the simple fact I find it tedious to write down everything I eat. I have enough to keep track of in my life w/o that, but perhaps you don't and that's why it's easy for you, congratulations, you win.

ummm you posted that logging is "boring" and you just "don't have time for it" So you are saying that you are sooooo busy that you cannot devote 1% of your day to logging? I am pretty busy myself…although, there is now way I have as much going on as you do…but I still somehow find five minutes a day to log food…

but do what you like and good luck …
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    It takes like 2 minutes to do an entire day. Those 2 mins a day have changed my life the most, even above the 30 mins a day I spend exercising. Solution - suck it up and do it anyway.

I have to say I agree with this...I typically log my whole day in the morning while hubby plays on FB....then during the day, I can tweak it if I don't end up eating something or eat more.

The great thing I've discovered by logging is I was underestimating EVERYTHING so I think the 2 minutes in the morning is completely and totally worth it. I've kept the weight off for 2 years now so I'd say I'm proof logging works!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's always necessary. If you're losing weight without logging then just do that. But if a person is having trouble losing that's going to be my first suggestion.

That said, it doesn't bother me at all. It takes me 2-5 minutes per evening and I'm here anyway chatting so it's no trouble.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Well you have no idea how long it takes her to log.

Which is besides the point. Have you noticed that she, and others, are talking about the relationship with food logging leaves them? They might find the task tedious, regardless of timing, they might not like the pitfall of obsessively seeing food as a number, etc.

That, however, doesn't make a person undedicated or unmotivated to lose weight. Not wanting to log doesn't have a lick to do with motivation.

-Signed a man who's lost 130 lbs without logging jack
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'll take a break from logging every once in a while when I get bored of it but my progress without fail always slows down when I don't count calories. Sometimes I just need the break, though!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Logging is a huge pain for me, and it takes me a hell of a lot more than "five minutes a day." I'm not one of those "eat basically the same things all the time" people, and I rarely packaged food. As a home cook and a foodie, I am always having to enter new recipes, which takes quite a while. I rarely measured things carefully before, and cooking takes longer when I have to measure and record everything than when I winged it most of the time. It does seem to help, so I'm going to persist, but that doesn't mean I won't complain about it sometimes. OK, a lot!

I'd really like to know what kind of boring diets people eat if it takes "2 minutes a day." Seriously. It takes longer than that to do my breakfast.

My saving grace is I'm a freelance writer so I'm at a computer all the time and can take the time to log without too much disruption.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Logging keeps me from forgetting food I ate. The more I logged, the less I ate. Because I saw how much I was actually eating and not being in denial. My opinion is that most people quit logging because they can't handle the reality that it reveals...usually that they are constantly grazing on crap. Sorry, just my opinion.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Well you have no idea how long it takes her to log.

Which is besides the point. Have you noticed that she, and others, are talking about the relationship with food logging leaves them? They might find the task tedious, regardless of timing, they might not like the pitfall of obsessively seeing food as a number, etc.

That, however, doesn't make a person undedicated or unmotivated to lose weight. Not wanting to log doesn't have a lick to do with motivation.

-Signed a man who's lost 130 lbs without logging jack

this from original post:
    "I was pretty sure I was motivated to lose weight until the whole "log everything you eat" came into play...anyone else just finding it an absolute beating to log every day? Is it psychological? I go great for a few days, a week, then....YAWN! Just can't bring myself to do it! I don't mind logging my exercise, but logging food is just.."

that sounds like a motivation issue to me..

signed a man who lost 50 pounds logging and went from 25% body fat to 12% body fat and still logs...