Do I really need to exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other.

More lies.

"Skinny fat" is when a person is in a "normal" weight range but still has a high body fat level.

But if I put a "skinny fat" person in a room, and gave them only water for weeks, or months, they'll get lean. This is why concentration camp victims, and other truly starving people, aren't "skinny fat", they're just skinny and very lean. Even with lower muscle mass it's quite possible to lose the "skinny fat" look without exercise.

Exercise is for greater health, especially cardiovascular health. And weight lifting helps improve your overall body composition and aesthetics, amongst other amazing benefits.

But fat is fat. Keep cutting it and you'll eventually get lean.

You're TOTALLY missing the point. With strength training you can lose less weight and look better. For example... I just saw a post from a lady that was 10lbs higher but looked BETTER/FIRMER because she was incorporating a lot of strength training. I am the same size now that I was 18lbs lighter. The point is, without a good lifting routine you will not be as happy with your results until you lose A LOT more weight. Sure, there are starving people out there that weight 125lbs with absolutely no muscle tone. Sure... they're skinny... but I'm sure they are not as happy with their overall composition as people that have a slight deficit and incorporate lifting. Period.

Yes, I'm well aware of body recomposition, hence me mentioning it in the very post you quoted.

However you wrote the following:

"Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other."

This is not true. "Skinny fat" isn't a result of losing without exercising. If you stay in a deficit, and still don't exercise, you'll eventually lose the "skinny fat" appearance once your body fat levels become very low.

Now you might be lean with very little muscle mass, but you'll still be lean.

To tell somebody that they'll end up "skinny fat" if they don't exercise is just a fallacy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I've seen some incredible looking results that were achieved through diet alone.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Not necessary for weight loss but essential for fitness. On the positive note, your daily activity is not sedentary so you are getting some exercise in your daily activity level. The higher the activity level, the more you can eat and still lose weight...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other.

More lies.

"Skinny fat" is when a person is in a "normal" weight range but still has a high body fat level.

But if I put a "skinny fat" person in a room, and gave them only water for weeks, or months, they'll get lean. This is why concentration camp victims, and other truly starving people, aren't "skinny fat", they're just skinny and very lean. Even with lower muscle mass it's quite possible to lose the "skinny fat" look without exercise.

Exercise is for greater health, especially cardiovascular health. And weight lifting helps improve your overall body composition and aesthetics, amongst other amazing benefits.

But fat is fat. Keep cutting it and you'll eventually get lean.

You're TOTALLY missing the point. With strength training you can lose less weight and look better. For example... I just saw a post from a lady that was 10lbs higher but looked BETTER/FIRMER because she was incorporating a lot of strength training. I am the same size now that I was 18lbs lighter. The point is, without a good lifting routine you will not be as happy with your results until you lose A LOT more weight. Sure, there are starving people out there that weight 125lbs with absolutely no muscle tone. Sure... they're skinny... but I'm sure they are not as happy with their overall composition as people that have a slight deficit and incorporate lifting. Period.

Yes, I'm well aware of body recomposition, hence me mentioning it in the very post you quoted.

However you wrote the following:

"Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other."

This is not true. "Skinny fat" isn't a result of losing without exercising. If you stay in a deficit, and still don't exercise, you'll eventually lose the "skinny fat" appearance once your body fat levels become very low.

Now you might be lean with very little muscle mass, but you'll still be lean.

To tell somebody that they'll end up "skinny fat" if they don't exercise is just a fallacy.

An interesting read on skinny fat: http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/why-skinny-doesn-t-always-mean-healthy