Eating much better and till ganing weight - HELP!?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Try eating protein and fiber with every meal and snack. Best to eat protein first thing in the morning so that you won't feel hungry in the afternoon. You can boost your metabolism by lifting weights (or resistance exercise.) Stay away from dairy if you can - it slows metabolism.

OH! now i know why your advice is garbage. It must be how you hook people and get them to call into the Isagenix pyramid scheme since you seem to be someone using it every day as your main source of "healthy foods".

tumblr_lust3tlXwv1qapsbq.gif

Shots fired.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It really helps me to plan out what I'm going to eat at restaurants BEFORE I get there. Most restaurants have their menus online and if the menu is vague about the preparation (sautéed in what?) you can call ahead and ask, so you can make the best possible choice. This takes a little time, but is worth it if you're committed to losing weight and enjoy eating out.

Someone made reference to not eating restaurant salads. I've noticed that most restaurant salads are chock full of extra fat & protein, but what really puts you over the top is the amount of sodium and fat in the restaurant prepared dressings! So, ask about the dressing calories and make a decision to a) bring your own; b) ask for a low fat vinaigrette instead of the dressing that usually comes with the salad; c) have the dressing on the side and just dip into it occasionally. You'll probably only use 1/2 the amount that you normally would.

Another person mentioned that your sodium intake may be significantly higher than you realize, which could be causing you to retain water. I noticed that I only have a problem with taking in too much sodium when I eat processed foods. So, avoid them at all costs.

If possible, since I don't know where you live, try to frequent restaurants with more healthy options. I live in the SF Bay Area where healthy eating is almost a religion, so it's pretty easy to stay within my calorie goals while going out. And, the big chain restaurants are getting more and more health conscious. They usually have a few healthy options.

Best of Luck! Feel free to add me for extra support:)
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    I don;t think the problem is that you're eating too much, but the quality of what you are eating could be better. It seems you are eating a lot of animal products and SIMPLE carbs. Try eating less fat and more complex carbs, like fruits, veggies, potatoes and rice. Also are you exercising? That will speed up the losing weight process.
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stating 'a calorie is a calorie' oversimplifies reality.

Different calorie sources cause varied release of insulin from the body. If you're eating 1200 calories from carbs, 300 calories from protein, 300 calories from fat, you're consuming an 1800 calorie diet to which your body responds differently from consuming 600 calories from carbs, 600 calories from protein, and 600 calories from fat. over time, the carb heavy diet will predispose you to insulin resistance (aka --> greater insulin secretion). keep in mind that a hormone like insulin is a growth factor implicated with greater fat retention AND resistance to insulin plays a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. there are interesting studies out regarding this... please feel free to pubmed ;]

also, whenever you see calorie estimates on food labels... those labels have to be within 20% +/- off the mark. for panera to market a sandwich as 400 calories means that the food can actually be 320 calories or 480 calories. if you eat foods that consist of healthier prep/ingredients, you're making a safer bet... also! whenever you eat fibrous foods like nuts, though it may be labeled as 180 cal for 1 oz of almonds, it's more likely that your body is absorbing less than the 180 cal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "2 cups of hash browns" as 112 calories? Probably more like 600 calories. 3 slices of bread is probably closer to 270-330 calories than 149; more if buttered. 6 links of sausage from a buffet probably more like 600 than 360 calories. "Heaping plate" of buffet food probably more than 1000 calories. "20 oz of pad thai" from a restaurant is probably more like 1200+ calories than 860. 3 crab rangoons closer to 300 than 200. 4 slices of cheese pizza probably more like 1000 than 580, depending.

Etc etc. I see a lot of what looks like rather extreme underestimating in your diary. I also see a lot of quick add calories.

In other words, you seem to be consuming quite a bit more than you think you are. You seem to be eating out at places that don't publish nutrition info pretty much every day, and massively underestimating calories consumed while doing so. And the stuff you're eating at home you don't seem to be weighing or measuring at all.

this sounds spot on to me ..

OP - you really need to avoid the buffets and what not ..if you want to eat out, then eat once a week and use it as a treat/cheat whatever..

More than likely you are eating at maintenance and not realizing it..

and a calorie is a calorie...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much, simple as. You cannot guess at the numbers in restaurant meals and presume you are correct. Pad thai is very calorie dense, as are many of the other meals you are eating. You will not lose weight if you do not invest in it fully and make more changes.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ask for a to-go container when you have a restaurant meal, and put 1/3 to 1/2 of the food into the to-go container before you even start eating. Win-win; you have an extra meal for the next day (lunch?), and you cut the calories of the current meal.

I agree with most. You are underestimating the calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Different calorie sources cause varied release of insulin from the body. If you're eating 1200 calories from carbs, 300 calories from protein, 300 calories from fat, you're consuming an 1800 calorie diet to which your body responds differently from consuming 600 calories from carbs, 600 calories from protein, and 600 calories from fat. over time, the carb heavy diet will predispose you to insulin resistance (aka --> greater insulin secretion). keep in mind that a hormone like insulin is a growth factor implicated with greater fat retention AND resistance to insulin plays a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. there are interesting studies out regarding this... please feel free to pubmed ;]

also, whenever you see calorie estimates on food labels... those labels have to be within 20% +/- off the mark. for panera to market a sandwich as 400 calories means that the food can actually be 320 calories or 480 calories. if you eat foods that consist of healthier prep/ingredients, you're making a safer bet... also! whenever you eat fibrous foods like nuts, though it may be labeled as 180 cal for 1 oz of almonds, it's more likely that your body is absorbing less than the 180 cal.

wait, so if I eat 1200 calories the macro breakdown actually says I ate 1800????? Please explain the magical process of how my body process 1200 calories and then turns it into 1800….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Try eating protein and fiber with every meal and snack. Best to eat protein first thing in the morning so that you won't feel hungry in the afternoon. You can boost your metabolism by lifting weights (or resistance exercise.) Stay away from dairy if you can - it slows metabolism.

OH! now i know why your advice is garbage. It must be how you hook people and get them to call into the Isagenix pyramid scheme since you seem to be someone using it every day as your main source of "healthy foods".

tumblr_lust3tlXwv1qapsbq.gif

Shots fired.

I would say howitzers fired….
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your logging is pretty patchy looking back over the last couple of months.

Take a few weeks to make sure you are logging everything - weigh your food where possible. Then assess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How so?

I would be obese if that were the case.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I don;t think the problem is that you're eating too much, but the quality of what you are eating could be better. It seems you are eating a lot of animal products and SIMPLE carbs. Try eating less fat and more complex carbs, like fruits, veggies, potatoes and rice. Also are you exercising? That will speed up the losing weight process.

Oh. Darn all those animal products, mucking up weight loss.

*polishes off protein shake and turkey sammich*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Um, your body doesn't recognize a calorie, it recognizes nutrition. We are made up of 70 - 100 trillion cells. They are duplicating every minute by the billions. In order to make a healthy new cell you need essential nutrients. When the nutrients are not provided the body will steal from within - protein by breaking down muscle, calcium by breaking down bone cells, etc. Healthy new cells help to flush out toxins, which are protected with a layer of fat and stored away from the major organs. And then there are hormones which dictate all chemical processes. It's not just about calories.

How does milk impact this miracle of life? Last time I looked EAAs were, well essential as the name suggests. You know what one of the best sources and EAAs is? Milk....
  • ndj1979
    Options

so are simple carbs just for simple people?
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options

wait, so if I eat 1200 calories the macro breakdown actually says I ate 1800????? Please explain the magical process of how my body process 1200 calories and then turns it into 1800….

i debated whether i should respond to your question lest i sound catty, but since you asked...
    1200 cal from carbs + 300 cal from protein + 300 cal from fat = 1800 cal

it's quite magical.
  • Achrya
    Options

Unsure.

I do know a lot of people use the phrase 'simple carbs' incorrectly though. Let me tell you about fruit...
  • ndj1979
    Options

i debated whether i should respond to your question lest i sound catty, but since you asked...

it's quite magical.

i read that wrong…my bad..

I still disagree with your premise…a calorie is a calorie and a deficit is what makes you lose...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Unsure.

I do know a lot of people use the phrase 'simple carbs' incorrectly though. Let me tell you about fruit...

groans…not fruit sugar aggggggaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnn
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Unsure.

The other day someone was arguing that sweet potatoes are complex and white potatoes are simple. :huh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

You're wrong but I got your math. Just having a relatively carb-heavy diet doesn't mean insulin resistance. BTW look at how protein influences insulin response for some laughs.