Eating much better and till ganing weight - HELP!?

Options

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Start cooking more meals with your fiancé and quit eating out so much....then go make love. You will both be happier and healthier
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don;t think the problem is that you're eating too much, but the quality of what you are eating could be better. It seems you are eating a lot of animal products and SIMPLE carbs. Try eating less fat and more complex carbs, like fruits, veggies, potatoes and rice. Also are you exercising? That will speed up the losing weight process.

Oh. Darn all those animal products, mucking up weight loss.

*polishes off protein shake and turkey sammich*

so are simple carbs just for simple people?

Unsure.

I do know a lot of people use the phrase 'simple carbs' incorrectly though. Let me tell you about fruit...

The other day someone was arguing that sweet potatoes are complex and white potatoes are simple. :huh:

lol…honestly, I really do not keep track of simple vs complex….I just try to stay within my carb macro for the day (30%)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don;t think the problem is that you're eating too much, but the quality of what you are eating could be better. It seems you are eating a lot of animal products and SIMPLE carbs. Try eating less fat and more complex carbs, like fruits, veggies, potatoes and rice. Also are you exercising? That will speed up the losing weight process.

Oh. Darn all those animal products, mucking up weight loss.

*polishes off protein shake and turkey sammich*

so are simple carbs just for simple people?

Unsure.

I do know a lot of people use the phrase 'simple carbs' incorrectly though. Let me tell you about fruit...

The other day someone was arguing that sweet potatoes are complex and white potatoes are simple. :huh:

1316713879_castle_reaction.gif

i-m-done-o.gif
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stating 'a calorie is a calorie' oversimplifies reality.

Different calorie sources cause varied release of insulin from the body. If you're eating 1200 calories from carbs, 300 calories from protein, 300 calories from fat, you're consuming an 1800 calorie diet to which your body responds differently from consuming 600 calories from carbs, 600 calories from protein, and 600 calories from fat. over time, the carb heavy diet will predispose you to insulin resistance (aka --> greater insulin secretion). keep in mind that a hormone like insulin is a growth factor implicated with greater fat retention AND resistance to insulin plays a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. there are interesting studies out regarding this... please feel free to pubmed ;]

also, whenever you see calorie estimates on food labels... those labels have to be within 20% +/- off the mark. for panera to market a sandwich as 400 calories means that the food can actually be 320 calories or 480 calories. if you eat foods that consist of healthier prep/ingredients, you're making a safer bet... also! whenever you eat fibrous foods like nuts, though it may be labeled as 180 cal for 1 oz of almonds, it's more likely that your body is absorbing less than the 180 cal.

wait, so if I eat 1200 calories the macro breakdown actually says I ate 1800????? Please explain the magical process of how my body process 1200 calories and then turns it into 1800….

i debated whether i should respond to your question lest i sound catty, but since you asked...
    1200 cal from carbs + 300 cal from protein + 300 cal from fat = 1800 cal

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

You're wrong but I got your math. Just having a relatively carb-heavy diet doesn't mean insulin resistance. BTW look at how protein influences insulin response for some laughs.

I love Dr. Rustig's writings. There's a lot posted on how all calories are not created equal. Pubmed.org is a wonderful resource with evidence-based, peer-reviewed studies. Here's a quick and easy read: http://www.livescience.com/21192-calories-not-equal-best-diets.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Different calorie sources cause varied release of insulin from the body. If you're eating 1200 calories from carbs, 300 calories from protein, 300 calories from fat, you're consuming an 1800 calorie diet to which your body responds differently from consuming 600 calories from carbs, 600 calories from protein, and 600 calories from fat. over time, the carb heavy diet will predispose you to insulin resistance (aka --> greater insulin secretion). keep in mind that a hormone like insulin is a growth factor implicated with greater fat retention AND resistance to insulin plays a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. there are interesting studies out regarding this... please feel free to pubmed ;]

also, whenever you see calorie estimates on food labels... those labels have to be within 20% +/- off the mark. for panera to market a sandwich as 400 calories means that the food can actually be 320 calories or 480 calories. if you eat foods that consist of healthier prep/ingredients, you're making a safer bet... also! whenever you eat fibrous foods like nuts, though it may be labeled as 180 cal for 1 oz of almonds, it's more likely that your body is absorbing less than the 180 cal.

wait, so if I eat 1200 calories the macro breakdown actually says I ate 1800????? Please explain the magical process of how my body process 1200 calories and then turns it into 1800….

i debated whether i should respond to your question lest i sound catty, but since you asked...

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

You're wrong but I got your math. Just having a relatively carb-heavy diet doesn't mean insulin resistance. BTW look at how protein influences insulin response for some laughs.

I love Dr. Rustig's writings. There's a lot posted on how all calories are not created equal. Pubmed.org is a wonderful resource with evidence-based, peer-reviewed studies. Here's a quick and easy read: http://www.livescience.com/21192-calories-not-equal-best-diets.html

Link to the actual studies instead of a glorified blog.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    "2 cups of hash browns" as 112 calories? Probably more like 600 calories. 3 slices of bread is probably closer to 270-330 calories than 149; more if buttered. 6 links of sausage from a buffet probably more like 600 than 360 calories. "Heaping plate" of buffet food probably more than 1000 calories. "20 oz of pad thai" from a restaurant is probably more like 1200+ calories than 860. 3 crab rangoons closer to 300 than 200. 4 slices of cheese pizza probably more like 1000 than 580, depending.

Etc etc. I see a lot of what looks like rather extreme underestimating in your diary. I also see a lot of quick add calories.

In other words, you seem to be consuming quite a bit more than you think you are. You seem to be eating out at places that don't publish nutrition info pretty much every day, and massively underestimating calories consumed while doing so. And the stuff you're eating at home you don't seem to be weighing or measuring at all.

When all is said and done - it's this. As much as we don't want to believe we are still eating too much - we are. It's hard to admit. It's hard to imagine - but weighing and measuring EVERYTHING will open your eyes and sometimes make your mouth fall open too.

We are notorious for underestimating our food intake. I will guarantee that if you start doing this - you will start losing. All the other garbage about what you're eating or how you combine foods or when you eat or the need to eliminate foods - is just that - garbage.

Weigh all your solid foods. Measure in cups and spoons your liquid foods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

I thought the same..I would like to know the activity level of the "low carbers" who burned an extra 300 calories a day ..supposedly by just eating low carb…did they walk more, exercise, do anything, just sit on the couch ...
  • ryvenna
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

i'm a medical student, so i have free access to journals through my school's subscription. do you have access to JAMA? the article summed up in that "glorified blog" is right here: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/issue.aspx?issueid=24277 and more specifically: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Try eating protein and fiber with every meal and snack. Best to eat protein first thing in the morning so that you won't feel hungry in the afternoon. You can boost your metabolism by lifting weights (or resistance exercise.) Stay away from dairy if you can - it slows metabolism.

OH! now i know why your advice is garbage. It must be how you hook people and get them to fall into the Isagenix pyramid scheme since you seem to be someone using it every day as your main source of "healthy foods".

Should probably make your diary private next time....

:laugh:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of good and bad advice in this thread. Hopefully you listen to the people who are telling you to log accurately.

I've been struggling with weight loss lately and it's not because I have hypothyroidism or anything (although if you're concerned about having that then I'd definitely suggest going to see a doctor) but because I've been "fixing" my diary. As in, sneaking in things as lower calorie than they actually are (i.e. choosing the lowest calorie option when eating a cookie so I can have one instead of two), which seems to be the case with your diary. It was hard for me to admit this to myself but I won't have success without thinking critically about what I'm doing. I'd suggest you think critically about your approach, logging and setting an appropriate deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

i'm a medical student, so i have free access to journals through my school's subscription. do you have access to JAMA? the article summed up in that "glorified blog" is right here: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/issue.aspx?issueid=24277 and more specifically: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

ETA: if you believe him, why is your diary riddled with foods with added sugar?
  • ryvenna
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/02/19/a-retrospective-of-the-fructose-alarmism-debate/

i agree that high fructose corn syrup is not the devil lustig makes it out to be, but i don't know why you're even linking me to a blog that d oesn't add to the debate regarding all calories being unequal. feel free to stalk my journal more in depth, since you're using it as a way to de-legitimize evidence based studies i linked to.

i'm currently traveling, which means that i AM deviating from my typical goal of consuming ~50 g of sugar or less per day and eating less than 200 g of carb. thanks for tryna make me feel like **** about it; i know i'm not perfect.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    That escalated quickly
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    That escalated quickly

+1

Defensive...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    nvmd
  • ryvenna
    Options

it's quite magical.

Yeah I followed you.

i agree that high fructose corn syrup is not the devil lustig makes it out to be, but i don't know why you're even linking me to a blog that d oesn't add to the debate regarding all calories being unequal. feel free to stalk my journal more in depth, since you're using it as a way to de-legitimize evidence based studies i linked to.

i'm currently traveling, which means that i AM deviating from my typical goal of consuming ~50 g of sugar or less per day and eating less than 200 g of carb. thanks for tryna make me feel like **** about it; i know i'm not perfect.

You posted a study. I posted an article (that cites studies) refuting the conclusion of the blog.

Not sure how that is not relevant to the conversation at hand. You brought up Lustig, not me.

You posted a blog article that refutes a lecture/talking point of Dr. Lustig, tangential to the JAMA study regarding dietary composition aka "not all calories are created equal." I overall agree with Dr. Lustig that over-consumption of sugar (any type, including from fruit) has detrimental health effects.

To the OP: definitely get a food scale! i think that's one of the most excellent pieces of advice i got at the start of my weight loss journey. also, tl;dr restrict calories and be mindful of macronutrients. good luck on your weight loss/fitness journey! :]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Stop being dramatic - I asked you a question, that is all.

I actually linked the wrong thing however - brb with the one I actually wanted to link
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You posted a blog article that refutes a lecture/talking point of Dr. Lustig, tangential to the JAMA study regarding dietary composition aka "not all calories are created equal." I overall agree with Dr. Lustig that over-consumption of sugar (any type, including from fruit) has detrimental health effects.

To the OP: definitely get a food scale! i think that's one of the most excellent pieces of advice i got at the start of my weight loss journey. also, tl;dr restrict calories and be mindful of macronutrients. good luck on your weight loss/fitness journey! :]

Posts crossed in cyberspace - yep - posted the wrong thing - that was my bad as I was posting in more than one thread. On my phone, but am going to post the study I wanted to post re macronutrient mix.

Edited to take off infini-quotes
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth.
    Yup...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My school has access to many journals but JAMA is very unfortunately not one of them. I didn't realize Rustug meant Lustig. Lustig is a quack.

What year are you, anyway? I'm trying to get into med school right now.