Plateu before I began

Options
Krys052490
Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
I am 5'3 and around 130 lbs. (I range 128-130) My goal is to lose 1 lb a week. I have been counting calories for over a month and working out for 3 weeks. I lift weights 4 days and cardio 3 times a week; although, I typically only work out 4 days a week. (I double up) I've measured, weighed, and taken pictures and I am not losing any weight at all.

Right now, I intake about 1500 calories a day. When I first began counting calories I went by the suggested calories from myfitness pal which was extremely low. I was miserable. I calculated using a lot of websites and settled on 1500 cals a day but I'm not dropping weight or inches!

Help. Did I mess up my metabolism? What is going on?

When I lift I take a 30 second rest between sets and a minute or two between different workouts. For cardio, I use the elliptical.
5 min on 7, then for 25 minutes I alternate between 9 and 5 every minute, averaging 140 strides per minute.

HELP.

Replies

• Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You're doing a lot of weight lifting. It is possible that you're burning fat but gaining muscle, which is good. Muscle will burn fat. See about getting a BMI check (Body Mass Index.) It will tell you how much is fat and how much is what you're suppose to have. Easiest place to get it checked is at a gym or fitness center.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    They say you cannot gain muscle in a deficit.

Are you weighing your food? Could be underestimating your food intake.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes. I weigh everything!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is your goal weight? I'm thinking you may do better by changing your expectation to half a pound a week. Or, calculate your TDEE and take 10-15% deficit off of it (and do not eat extra calories for exercise). Make sure you get adequate protein (MFP settings for protein are low). Probably 100 grams of protein per day would be a good goal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you probably just need more time, your body is getting used to the new stresses you are putting on it. But make sure you are eating the appropriate amount for that level of activity, and be patient.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight and very close to maintenance, so your loss will be very slow and possibly hindered by physiological fluctuations. This was my case, now I only weigh myself once a month. Take measurements and be patient!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You're doing a lot of weight lifting. It is possible that you're burning fat but gaining muscle, which is good. Muscle will burn fat. See about getting a BMI check (Body Mass Index.) It will tell you how much is fat and how much is what you're suppose to have. Easiest place to get it checked is at a gym or fitness center.

I think you mean a BCA? (Body composition analysis) BMI is a basic guideline suggesting your healthy weight, BCA show you BFP and where its distributed.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You're only running a 600 calorie per day deficit, so it's going to take you a long time to notice any difference. Unfortunately when you weigh less you lose slower. I would suggest a 1 on, 2 off carb cycling diet and reducing your caloric intake down to 1000 on the "off" days, while remaining at 1500 on the "on" days. Losing weight isn't supposed to fun or enjoyable, it's a punishment for allowing your body to get in the shape it's in. I have another suggestion; It's a controversial method, but I have lost a lot of weight doing it. It's not near as dangerous as everyone claims it is, but it does have a few POTENTIAL (not guaranteed) consequences , if you're interested.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You're only running a 600 calorie per day deficit, so it's going to take you a long time to notice any difference. Unfortunately when you weigh less you lose slower. I would suggest a 1 on, 2 off carb cycling diet and reducing your caloric intake down to 1000 on the "off" days, while remaining at 1500 on the "on" days. Losing weight isn't supposed to fun or enjoyable, it's a punishment for allowing your body to get in the shape it's in. I have another suggestion; It's a controversial method, but I have lost a lot of weight doing it. It's not near as dangerous as everyone claims it is, but it does have a few POTENTIAL (not guaranteed) consequences , if you're interested.

Please ignore this person. DO NOT be interested.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

A consistent daily deficit of 500 calories will result in 1lb/wk weight loss, excluding any water retention issues, medical conditions that make weight loss more difficult, etc, etc. i.e. It works for the average Joe.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My scale is stuck as well. However, I am 54. I am looking forward to reading the suggestions here.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You say you are measuring, are your measurements changing?

If so, then forget the scale and focus on the inches.

If not, you are probably underestimating how much you are eating despite weighing "everything."

However, if you are /sure/ that you are accurate in the amount of food you are counting, then it may just take awhile before anything happens with the scale. Had a room-mate with a similar situation once, it took two whole months before she saw any change in the scale!!!
  • jdb3388
    Options
    I didn't say that a 600 calorie a day deficit wouldn't work, I said that it's a slow go. It is widely considered to be "safe" to lose 2lbs a week. Especially for her, considering her BMR + Activity puts her at nearly 2200 calories a day. To many people concern themselves with things they've read rather than things they've done.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've found myself on a plateau, I've changed workouts. Your body adapts to new activity quite effectively but as a result, we burn fewer calories after we've done the same exercises for X amount of time. Keep up with your strength training but consider trying a new cardio activity. I personally love kickboxing and high-intensity aerobics but if you prefer using equipment, add a couple days of cycling or stair-climbing. The new motions may jump-start a loss and you might even discover a new favorite machine! You also may want to add another day of cardio to burn up some leftover calories. No guarantees as every body is different, though. Experimenting is key so don't stop searching for what works best for you. Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it takes time!!!!!! When I first started it took weeks and weeks and weeks for the scale to move!! Seriously, like 8 weeks....everyone is different, and what works for one person, may not work for you. But if you are 100% sure that your weighing and measuring everything you eat, then just wait it out and it will happen. If you play around with your calories, find what works best for you. but as long as your eating at a deficit, you will lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

can you open your diary?

why are you trying to lose one pound/week? that seems aggressive for someone of your height and weight...
  • ndj1979
    Options

no, just no …

you can lose weight, enjoy it, and eat the foods you like ….

please ignore this OP...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I didn't say that a 600 calorie a day deficit wouldn't work, I said that it's a slow go. It is widely considered to be "safe" to lose 2lbs a week. Especially for her, considering her BMR + Activity puts her at nearly 2200 calories a day. To many people concern themselves with things they've read rather than things they've done.

OP weighs 128 pounds…why does she need to lose 2 pound a week?????
  • jdb3388
    Options

OP weighs 128 pounds…why does she need to lose 2 pound a week?????

She doesn't NEED to lose any weight. But she's obviously unhappy enough with her body that she wants to. One of the main reasons people weigh to much is because they try to lose for a little bit and get discouraged and quit. It's not about needing to do it in a hurry because there's a dead line, it's about doing it at rate that is quick enough encourage you to keep doing it. You might not think like that, obviously I don't think like that, but there are a lot of folks out there that do. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who would be in good shape if they would have lost some weigh just a little bit quicker, enough to encourage them to keep doing it. I'm not suggesting she do anything unreasonable but I am suggesting she push herself to the limit. Doctors and nutritionist are very conservative, there are things that are not unhealthy but are deemed unhealthy due to how conservative the one's writing the rules are. Again, I don't wan the girl to be unreasonable but pushing a little ways past what a doctor or nutritionist would recommend is just fine. Also, everyone freaked out about my first post, but carb cycling has proven effective time and time again. There is no denying that it works.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't supposed to fun or enjoyable, it's a punishment for allowing your body to get in the shape it's in.
    Ummm...no! Thinking of losing weight as punishment is a whacked mindset. I have had a BLAST losing weight (and keeping it off). How is eating the proper amount of good food, bringing your body into better fitness and health punishment? If it's not enjoyable or fun, you're doing it wrong. :tongue:

To the OP - I would say give it more time. Three weeks isn't long enough to know how things are working - you've changed your diet and added exercise, it can take 4-6 weeks for the body to adjust and start showing your real progress. Be as accurate as possible with all your calculations, food logging and exercise burns. And just be patient. It will happen!