Do you take on a different personality when on the net?

Options

Replies

• bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same, just a little quieter and more reserved in person until I get to know you. Same sense of humor and personality quirks--just a little more pronounced online.
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    I become more me when online. I find it easier to call out *kitten* when I hear it online. But also I find it easier to style my ideal self when online. I think the bottom line is to have compassion in everything I do - writing online or talking face-to-face.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much exactly the same, but I am a little more reserved with the things I say online than I am in real life.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm more mild-mannered and more careful with my words online.... in RL I have more of a fiery temper although I try not to have.... and depending on who I'm with, I'm more sarcastic in RL.... but only with people who get London/British kind of social interacting, where taking the blatant p*** out of your friends is a form of social bonding and if your mates all started being really formal and polite with you instead of taking the p*** you'd be extremely worried and want to know what you did that upset them *THAT* much.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    No, I believe in being yourself no matter what.

Being false only intensifies low self worth to me because your living a lie.

It depends on your personality and self esteem though, some people feel more stronger behind their screens. And if that works for them, then fine.

I wouldn't agree. you can be who you really are, or have "no filter" on the internet without much repercussion and avoid burning bridges of trade. I'm in a position in which I strategically have to maintain certain company, and their acquaintance is advantageous to me. My self worth is through the roof, otherwise I wouldn't be able to so.

I agree with you, Huggy. It's not being fake or hiding when you're online. It all depends on the company and where you are. I've learned the very hard way that I can't be brash online and people often misread my words. I also can't read body language from words, alone.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find expressing myself in writing to be much easier than having a conversation many times, so in that respect perhaps. However, I tend to be very honest about what I think regardless, tactful, but honest.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

It depends on your personality and self esteem though, some people feel more stronger behind their screens. And if that works for them, then fine.

I wouldn't agree. you can be who you really are, or have "no filter" on the internet without much repercussion and avoid burning bridges of trade. I'm in a position in which I strategically have to maintain certain company, and their acquaintance is advantageous to me. My self worth is through the roof, otherwise I wouldn't be able to so.

I agree with you, Huggy. It's not being fake or hiding when you're online. It all depends on the company and where you are. I've learned the very hard way that I can't be brash online and people often misread my words. I also can't read body language from words, alone.
    -shows her warnings for being herself-
    >.>
    -cough-
    Edit: Talking about myself, btw lol.
  • TattooedNici
    Options

-shows her warnings for being herself-
    >.>
    -cough-
    Edit: Talking about myself, btw lol.

Whatcha trying to say? :laugh: :tongue:
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Fair point in that respect, I think my comment was based on people who have to 'over do' there ego or personality aimed purely at there need to feel "self worth"
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much exactly the same, but I am a little more reserved with the things I say online than I am in real life.

I agree you have to be reserved in things you say online.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

^This. It can be difficult to convey tones such as sarcasm, mocking, playfulness, sincerity, etc. online. I truly feel bad if I offend someone and I am legitimately in the wrong. It is easier to avoid those misunderstandings IRL when I have tone of voice and facial expressions at my disposal.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use fewer gifs in real life. Apart from that I'm exactly the same

ETA: real life doesn't have an edit button...
  • TattooedNici
    Options

^This. It can be difficult to convey tones such as sarcasm, mocking, playfulness, sincerity, etc. online. I truly feel bad if I offend someone and I am legitimately in the wrong. It is easier to avoid those misunderstandings IRL when I have tone of voice and facial expressions at my disposal.

Exactly!!! Body language speaks volumes and people don't know that I'm a very sardonic person online, other then when I say I am. My words in my sarcastic self can be misread as me being a total *****. I'd rather not have to explain every word I make online.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    i am pretty much the same person.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I'm different online. I'm very reserved and shy in real life. I have trouble being in rooms with lots of people. Online, I feel I can be me and I open up so much more.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you more outgoing when online, almost to the point of being the polar opposite of yourself in public?
    I definitely talk more online. Mainly because people constantly interrupt me in person. Online, I can finish my thoughts without interruption.

I'm more careful about editing myself online. You know what they say: Don't say or do anything online you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the newspaper (or homepage).
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    if they keep interrupting you it's because they don't respect you. only thing to do is alpha up and pee on their shoes. that'll teach'em :drinker:
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    How I am on here is how I would be if I knew you in real life. However, odds are if I were to cross paths with any of you in the real world I doubt you'd notice. I'm a lot more reserved in person.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm more myself online because I can hide behind a computer screen.

I'm shy in person, but my real personality once you get to know me is similar to the one I have on here.
    So you're saying all those stories about hooters are true? Oh girl...

Did I forget to send you that picture of me in my Hooters shirt? Let me get on that, buddy!
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am a lot more shy and quiet in person..