Protein Powder

Options
Krys052490
Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
I'm going to start having a protein shake. I've never had protein powder before I'm really just looking for suggestions. A friend of mine suggested to try a protein powder that is under 5 carbs and less than 130 calories.

Suggestions...? Brands..?

I know NOTHING about protein powder.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just get Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey in vanilla or chocolate.
  • kristengjohnson
    kristengjohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Sun Warrior Protein. It's vegan, and while I'm not vegan, I prefer it to other powders in that it is totally natural and doesn't have fake sugar which gives me headaches. It has 70 cals and 4 carbs.
    I use it to make protein bars and eat one after each workout. Here is a great recipe if you're interested.
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/08/29/quick-n-easy-no-bake-protein-bars/
    Take care!
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My sister and I bought the Chocolate Optimum Nutrition powder. We love it. I make iced shakes with ON Powder, 1/2 a bananna, dark chocolate almond milk, and ice. It's good and it helps with my chocolate milkshake craving! haha
  • missgamer84
    missgamer84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Natures Plus- Spiru-Tein in Chocolate flavor. It only has about 90 cals if you make it with water which works fine to me :) I don't like whey protein and prefer soy, its great for my hair and generally just makes me feel good to take. Its Gluten Free, Non GMO and tastes so good. Heres a link
    http://www.naturesplus.com/products/productdetail.php?productNumber=4570&criteria=keywordSearchResults&category=
  • Krys052490
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    I use Cytosport Muscle Milk - Costco or WallyWorld
  • gailclark18
    gailclark18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the My Protein powder I usually have vanilla which is very versatile, you can have it with either milk or water alternatively add berries,banana and oatmeal as a complete breakfast.:smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Than why would you take it?

Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My sister and I bought the Chocolate Optimum Nutrition powder. We love it. I make iced shakes with ON Powder, 1/2 a bananna, dark chocolate almond milk, and ice. It's good and it helps with my chocolate milkshake craving! haha

I've noticed the same for me. I love a good vanilla milkshake but since I started doing smoothies with vanilla protein powder on the regular, I have no cravings for a fatty ice cream shake because of that association. I feel like I'm drinking "milkshakes" all the time now.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

Why?
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've found protein powder to be expensive, so I don't use it. I wish they came in smaller containers.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake after my morning workout - its at least 40 minutes to the office from the gym and if I didn't have something after the workout, I would eat my keyboard when I got to work... :tongue:
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I use the walmart brand, Body Fortress I think it is, it's not cheap but a big container is under 16.00. They also make 6 packs of premixed fruit punch drinks that are under 9.00 right now but of course they're in ever walmart butt he one i go to.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've found protein powder to be expensive, so I don't use it. I wish they came in smaller containers.

Per gram of protein, protein powder such as ON Gold Standard is among the cheapest things you can buy. I think only eggs and on-sale chicken can beat it.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My favorite is either the Dymatize Elite XT Chocolate Fudge mixed with Matcha Green Tea powder,Seedless Cherries and Lactose Free Milk. Or else I like the one I am currently doing which is Trutein Cinnabun with Matcha Green Tea powder and Cold Coffee.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just get an own make brand mate, whey isolate from myprotein or a similar us site is as good as any of the brands remember you're paying for the name, also get you're diet up to scratch and if you can get most of you're daily protein from real foods then you've no need to supplement with powder, it's not gna make you any bigger or superhuman
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Than why would you take it?

Could you explain why powdered protein is in your mind the same as sugar and mono saturated fat?
  • Krys052490
    Options
    Just get an own make brand mate, whey isolate from myprotein or a similar us site is as good as any of the brands remember you're paying for the name, also get you're diet up to scratch and if you can get most of you're daily protein from real foods then you've no need to supplement with powder, it's not gna make you any bigger or superhuman

Since I've never had protein powder and heard a lot of them were disgusting, I was hoping that these suggestions would help slim down the options. Also, I really try on my diet but it's hard to get more than 120g protein a day and even then, I am REALLY pushing it. I don't want to get big or be like superman, I'm trying to slim down.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Whey Gourmet. So many delicious flavours!!! Their 'Naturelle' line is free of artificial sweeteners, flavours, and colours. It is delicious just on its own, mixed with water.

One scoop approx 120 cals, 3 g carbs, 20 g protein, 2 g fat.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just got my first tub of protein powder. I tend to enjoy higher carb breakfasts in the morning, but get hungry a hour later. So I'm starting to supplement my morning coffee with one scoop of powder plus milk. I bought EAS Vanilla because it was the cheapest tub at my local target, and one scoop + 3 oz whole milk + 10 oz hazelnut coffee is delicious. Tastes like a wonderful latte.