Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Trutein Trutein Trutein!!! Favorite mix, best flavors. Great with water, milk, coconut milk, berries. MMMMMM. Also entire website curlsandwhey.com dedicated to recipes.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Whey Gourmet. So many delicious flavours!!! Their 'Naturelle' line is free of artificial sweeteners, flavours, and colours. It is delicious just on its own, mixed with water.

One scoop approx 120 cals, 3 g carbs, 20 g protein, 2 g fat.

Evidently, this is not available in the USA. :sad:
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    You're going to get a LOT of different brands and variations.

The three best brands in my opinion:

ON Gold Standard Whey - You can buy it as small as 1lb containers (about 8-10 shakes) • http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

BSN Syntha-6 - My current protein, love it. Good stuff in it. I feel as if it works it's magic on all the recovery claims & it tastes / blends smooth. • http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html

Cellucor Whey - Contains digestive enzymes, low carb, high protein blend. • http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cellucor/cor-performance-whey.html

Just make sure you are supplementing your already good diet. Supplements are pointless if you're not already eating a good diet.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks ^

Pretty sure I'm going to go with optimum gold standard. I'm definitely still counting cals and watching my macros.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb & BSN Syntha-6 taste great. No funky protein taste. Trying Bluebonnet French vanilla which is also very good.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress from Walmart... 30g protein for 170-180 cals.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    http://www.albanystrength.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=i1fqcuatbeqdruimvg58lhse25

thats cheaper then the walmart stuff and is the best tasting whey i've ever had.

IDK who really makes it, but its distributed by a local gym and has thier name on it.

$31 for 5 lbs.

its freakin protein, its not magic powder. People pay out the *kitten* for the chance at absorbing an extra gram or two per shake. its not worth it.

if i had a barbique at my desk, and chicken was cheaper, i'd be eating that instead.

my personal recommendation is to pick the cheapest stuff you can stomach.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I use Body Fortress from Walmart... 30g protein for 170-180 cals.

i used to use that, nothing wrong with it, but found something cheaper that tastes and blends better.

i assume they have free shipping if you order so much ,but not sure. its only about 5 min from where i work.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i'd avoid muscletech, very price and not very tastey IMO
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    pure protein is my protein of choice for the next few months, it was on sale and i had coupons :D so I stocked up - its not bad .

i really like designer whey too .- but alas it was not on sale :-S
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Dymatize is the best........tastes so good
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I know NOTHING about protein powder.
    Than why would you take it?

Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

Why do people like you exist... Just because it's not 'naturally made' doesn't mean it's bad for you. You telling me you eat everything raw and unprocessed?
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just get Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey in vanilla or chocolate.
    The Extreme Chocolate Milk flavor is so good! I mix it with a 1/2 cup of unsweetneed almond/cocnut milk for breakfast at work everyday. The mix itself has 120 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 24g protein and 2g sugar.
    I don't care for the Natural Vanilla flavor as a plain shake, but it is awesome for fruit smoothies and protein pancakes and stuff.
    I buy the 2lbs. containers, and they are like $27 from Amazon.
  • amtatusko
    amtatusko Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.

I agree with you but more about about the nature vs. manufactured part. I used to put it in my morning juice, but stopped. I can get it from other sources in my diet that are sufficient for me. The less manufactured chemicals in my body the better. That's what works for me.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Why do people like you exist... Just because it's not 'naturally made' doesn't mean it's bad for you. You telling me you eat everything raw and unprocessed?
    Did i say "naturally made"? I think maybe you are thinking i said something else.

What i did say was that isolating one macro-nutrient from a food, and then eating it in concentrations not found in nature is never a good idea. It's not a good idea when it's carbohydrates (sugar), it's not a good idea when it's fat (oil) and it's still not a good idea when it's protein.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's is the best (in my opinion). Taste good, mixes good, made without all the additives including sugar. Its a little more pricey than what you can buy at Walmart or GNC, but in opinion worth it. You can order it directly from the website and the company is great to work with.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I agree with you but more about about the nature vs. manufactured part. I used to put it in my morning juice, but stopped. I can get it from other sources in my diet that are sufficient for me. The less manufactured chemicals in my body the better. That's what works for me.

Its also well known that basically every form of protein suppliment contains trace amounts of toxic metals such as lead and arsenic

FYI - i'd avoid GNC at all costs unless you need something that fast. Pretty much any online store will give you free shipping if you order a certain amount. even with paying shipping you'll likely spend less then you would at GNC
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition Dymatize in almost every flavour...right now, enjoying the "Cookies and Cream". Lactose free, and 25 g of protein per scoop.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different ones but by no means am I an authority on the subject but of the ones that I have tried the one that gives more protein for the buck is Body Fortress super advanced Whey Protein. You can pick it up at Walmart for 15.88 or around that price, it comes in Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Vanilla, and Strawberry. Each have a good flavor and all mix rather well with the “Blender Bottle”, with the exception of the Strawberry, it leaves clumps quite often.
    Other brands that are okay to good are EAS, and Muscle Milk, the Cytosport premixed protein drinks are good too but expensive.
    I would recommend buying the smallest container that you can of whatever product you decide to go with. That way if you don’t like it you’re not out to much or if you’re so inclined to finish the product it’s less of a pain for you.
    Good luck with whatever you do try let me know if you try something else and really like it. I’m always interested in trying new things.
    V/r,
    DW
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    was also a fan of designer whey

tastes ok, not WAY over priced

For awhile i was using whatever cheap brand i could find but sticking with this to put in my oatmeal (strawberrY)

It came to a point where i just couldn't justify spending more then 20 bucks on a powder that gave me less Protein per scoup.

I ended up using just the albany strength for the oat meal too. i got used to the taste very fast lol.

Thier is one instance where i would say that it's worth paying extra for protein: if you believe in the post exercise 'window', then you might as well pay for the faster absorbing isolate. I do go out and buy isopure at the cheapest i can find it when perparing post exercise specific drinks.