Alternatives to meat?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I am trying to lower the meat we eat as a family. We are not eating meat every day, but ideally I would like especially red meat to be limited on just 2-3 meals per week, less if possible. I do not however want to reduce our protein intake significantly. I go through vegetarian and even vegan phases personally, as I do not particularly like meat, but my recipes tend to be too low in protein this way. Any tips, links, book suggestions?

Replies

• jamesisaac108
    Options
    When I first went vegetarian I ate a lot of portabella mushrooms. And beans. But I just wasnt eating enough to sustain my physical activity and my blood work came back all screwed up. Adding a multivitamin and whey protein sorted me out. Protein from low fat dairy is also great.
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, seitan. I have always been a fan of seitan. It tastes better than tofu(imo) and is high in protein.
  • citteacat
    citteacat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian and haven't had meat other than seafood for about 7 years.
    While I'm not the best at keeping up with protein, here's a few tips-

Beans & nuts can be your best friend!

You may have seen this already but -
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/protein-for-vegetarians-00412000078915/page2.html

Also make sure you're keeping up with the other nutrients you'll be missing, not just protein.

I suggest joining some blog sites, and follow a lot of vegan/vegetarian ones that will post plenty of recipes for you to try. Here's a few I found;

http://goveganmeow.blogspot.com/

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/

I'm sure you'll find some your whole family will love. ^^
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Stefgoju
    Stefgoju Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of quorn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn Here in Belgium all major stores have quorn or they have a home vegetarian brand with foods packed in protein. If you come across it I would definitely give it a go. Unflavored quorn is a great substitute for chicken. It also absorbs other flavours well and can be used in a variety of recipes.Other main sources of protein I use:

- Dairy : Low fat or semi skimmed milk / cheeses/ Yoghurt... Greek yoghurt especially.
    - Eggs
    -Beans, lentils,...
    - Tofu, Soy.
    - Whey protein and meal replacement powders (dont rely too much on them, they are still supplements, natural food is still better)

Hope this helps
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    quinoi
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband of 28 years has never eaten meat--spit it out as a kid. So I cook alot of meatless meals using legumes, eggs, cheese, fish, and nuts. I make pasta everyday, as we live in Italy and that is a staple. To pasta you can add almost anything and it is always different and doesn't get boring. He is slim and the picture of health. His bloodwork comes back perfect everytime--he's 60. His brother is a doctor, so there is no problem eating as he does since he is always under control. Also, he goes to the gym-pool 4 times a week. When we go to the sea, he swims everyday way out and people that try to go with him come back discouraged.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have swapped Quorn mice for beef mince and it makes the BEST cottage / shepards pie EVER! I have to say though the other day I bought a Quorn ready made shepards pie and it was not as good as homemade, and the quorn and leek sausages make a great toad in the hole.

The other way we substitute meat is with Fish, before we met im sure hubby thought fish only came in batter or breadcrumbs....
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Fish is meat.........just saying!
  • snowflake954
    Options

Actually some fish, such as swordfish, tastes like meat so I can't use it. Well then, where I live fish is fish, meat is meat--white or red, sort of like wine.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Actually some fish, such as swordfish, tastes like meat so I can't use it. Well then, where I live fish is fish, meat is meat--white or red, sort of like wine.

I stand by my statement. Fish is meat. Not a fruit, not a grain, not a vegetable, not a dairy product, it's just meat.
  • snowflake954
    Options

I stand by my statement. Fish is meat. Not a fruit, not a grain, not a vegetable, not a dairy product, it's just meat.

Then why, during Lent, can we Catholics eat "fish" but not "meat" on Fridays? I also stand by what I said.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Of course fish is meat- did it grow from the ground? No

Does it have muscles nerves and a brain?? Yes

Is it a plant or a creature?

It's another type of meat - from the sea.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Go to your local supermarket and have a look in the meat free isle(s) (at my local there's both a refrigerated and frozen section). You will find everything you used to eat with meat - only vegetarian. Even if you don't buy the ready meals they'll give you a good idea of what you can make. You can still cook pretty much any dish you already eat but with a substitute. Quorn/lentils/tofu instead of mince/chicken etc.

Also as a lifelong veggie protein and iron have never ever been a problem for me.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Then why, during Lent, can we Catholics eat "fish" but not "meat" on Fridays? I also stand by what I said.

Calling stuff meat or fish are just labels. Fish are animals, cows are animals. Dogs are animals. Potatoes are not animals.

In the middle ages Catholics wouldn't consume eggs and dairy products either, lent is about abstinence not about whether or not a fish is meat.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Beans, chickpeas, tofu, soy, quinoa, eggs, cottage cheese are all great alternatives. Portobello mushrooms have a nice meaty texture and you can grill and make sandwiches similar to burgers ..I love them stuffed though.

Fish is a meat.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Calling stuff meat or fish are just labels. Fish are animals, cows are animals. Dogs are animals. Potatoes are not animals.

In the middle ages Catholics wouldn't consume eggs and dairy products either, lent is about abstinence not about whether or not a fish is meat.

I am not Catholic, I am Orthodox, and we consider fish meat, dairy and eggs are forbidden during Lent if you want to fast, BUT shrimp, squids and octopus are allowed...You cannot make much sense out of religion I fear, at least not when it comes to nutrition ;)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Tofu etc but if you want to add quick good protein ...easy
    go with Edamame beans... So easy to make....cheap and high protein,low fat,low cals etc
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try looking up recipes on Pinterest. There's TONS of gorgeous things to try with veggies, fish, seafood, eggs and quinoa :)
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I always make a point of having some type of bean/nut based meal at minimum once a day. Even baked beans will do! Multiseed bread is a great way of getting extra nuts in. Monkey nuts are yummy, and great if you're a savoury snacker! Peanut butter is your best friend :heart:

http://renovegans.com/media/images/ex/nutrition/veggie-protein.png

^ That little pic should be of help :smile: