Alternatives to meat?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I always make a point of having some type of bean/nut based meal at minimum once a day. Even baked beans will do! Multiseed bread is a great way of getting extra nuts in. Monkey nuts are yummy, and great if you're a savoury snacker! Peanut butter is your best friend :heart:

http://renovegans.com/media/images/ex/nutrition/veggie-protein.png

^ That little pic should be of help :smile:
    Wow! I would have never guessed that there is protein in cucumbers!
  • jls341
    jls341 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fish is meat.........just saying!

Actually some fish, such as swordfish, tastes like meat so I can't use it. Well then, where I live fish is fish, meat is meat--white or red, sort of like wine.

I stand by my statement. Fish is meat. Not a fruit, not a grain, not a vegetable, not a dairy product, it's just meat.

Then why, during Lent, can we Catholics eat "fish" but not "meat" on Fridays? I also stand by what I said.

Calling stuff meat or fish are just labels. Fish are animals, cows are animals. Dogs are animals. Potatoes are not animals.

In the middle ages Catholics wouldn't consume eggs and dairy products either, lent is about abstinence not about whether or not a fish is meat.

I am not Catholic, I am Orthodox, and we consider fish meat, dairy and eggs are forbidden during Lent if you want to fast, BUT shrimp, squids and octopus are allowed...You cannot make much sense out of religion I fear, at least not when it comes to nutrition ;)

All this sounds like a weak Sapir-Whorf hypothesis discussion. The linguistic relativity of what constitutes meat is influenced by culture and upraising. Meat as food is probably not dog, cat or your neighbor in most western cultures. The classification of fish as "other than meat" is relatively valid within the culture of some.
    Personally, I'd likely place whey, fish, meat in the same basket all as animal protein sources but clearly understand that if I say to the stewardess "I'll have the meat dish" I won't get fish.

Context. It's a think. Err, thing.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ^^this. I said "where I live" fish is not a meat--mabe it is where you live. In our restaurants fish is never listed in the meat section, and the food pyramid has fish alongside of meat, but separate.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think people are looking at this wrong you shouldn't look to replace meat in recipes. What you need to be doing is looking at recipes and foods that don't include it to start with. Google is your friend

As for the Meat/Fish argument seems people are arguing for the sake of it really.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ^^this. I said "where I live" fish is not a meat--mabe it is where you live. In our restaurants fish is never listed in the meat section, and the food pyramid has fish alongside of meat, but separate.

The food pyramid also lists poultry seperate from "meat". do you not consider poultry meat??
    I do.

But in my world meat comes from animals, and i like to eat animals!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Actually some fish, such as swordfish, tastes like meat so I can't use it. Well then, where I live fish is fish, meat is meat--white or red, sort of like wine.

I stand by my statement. Fish is meat. Not a fruit, not a grain, not a vegetable, not a dairy product, it's just meat.

Then why, during Lent, can we Catholics eat "fish" but not "meat" on Fridays? I also stand by what I said.

why? because they wanted to do something- (not eat meat) then realized they were not THAT dedicated- so they came up with a loop hole.

you can say whatever you want- fish are living animals that are killed and then you eat their flesh.

fish is meat. period- it's not an opinion. It's science- something of which the church knows little about.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    One of the common misconceptions about reducing meat in your diet is that it you will need to supplement protein in your diet. If you eat whole plant foods, like fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and beans, you will get more than adequate protein.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One of the common misconceptions about reducing meat in your diet is that it you will need to supplement protein in your diet. If you eat whole plant foods, like fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and beans, you will get more than adequate protein.

I think that's a really broad paintbrush to paint everyone's protein needs.

There is no way I could cut and get enough protein from plants. I'd be over full and having to eat more than my calorie goals.
  • asdowe13
    Options

There is no way I could cut and get enough protein from plants. I'd be over full and having to eat more than my calorie goals.

Feeding the troll!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Have you tried it?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

why? because they wanted to do something- (not eat meat) then realized they were not THAT dedicated- so they came up with a loop hole.

you can say whatever you want- fish are living animals that are killed and then you eat their flesh.

fish is meat. period- it's not an opinion. It's science- something of which the church knows little about.

"Fish is meat" is not science. It's a language convention.
    Here, it is being used as "things I eat" in a classification strata.

Has very little to do with science.
  • asdowe13
    Options

Have you tried it?

Why would I want to???/ I enjoy eating meat, and don't see the benefits for me to stop eating meat!