Addictive personality

Options
1235»

Replies

• eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i had to giggle at this post, i too have an addictive nature and yet those hours spent at the gym several times a week still do not make me eager to go lol. I love to see the benefits but i do long for the day when i will actively enjoy the experience and look forward to my workout days lol

If you saw me you'd know I'm no health "nut". And machines are just what I enjoy. Sure, part of me wants to stay home and eat Fritos watching House of Cards. But the other part of me feels better after a workout and I enjoy a little less guilt in my life. AND I "earn" calories if I want them. If I didn't enjoy the gym I'd carry a log up a hill or swim longer or find that activity that I enjoy doing that helps me get fit.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Luckily, my kids love to be outside. It would be very easy to walk or ride bikes etc. Thanks!

I've figured out a 1/10 of a mile stretch (out and back) in front of my house. The kids and I have "races" there. 10 races and I've run a mile.
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm getting addicted to spinning classes!! I love them!! When I first mentioned to my friends that I was thinking of trying one out, they were all like, "Oh my god I did one once - NEVER AGAIN!", or "you're not going to be able to walk tomorrow!" but I went anyway and absolutely loved it. I'm now going twice a week, and one of those sessions is a double-length endurance class. I guess I like being yelled at to go harder and faster! ;-)

Me too!!! Four classes a week and would do more if I had the time....I LOVE IT! :love: :laugh:
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Exercise with kids can be tough. Can you take them to the park when the weather improves? I used to put on head phones and chase my toddlers around the park for 30 minutes. You'd be surprised how long toddlers can last! Lol. Other than that, I found some workout DVDs online that feature kids, or kids and moms, or infants and moms, or kids, infants and moms. Your workout can also be bonding time with the kids.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are finding some excellent options. I do obstacle course, type of circuits at the play ground with my kids. They asked me if they could be into fitness like I am. Doing this you can all do it according to your own ability level.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    0d787515a84a503c141f9274596ccb00-this-guy-loves-exercise-and-look-fabulous-doing-it.gif
  • Bumaye123
    Bumaye123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry a crossword puzzle isn't a replacement for an ice cream cone." Laugh out loud! Right! Think you've got it though!
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I stay home during the day and keep children. I am also a single mom of 4. I can't really go to classes. I know it sounds like I am making excuses, but you asked :)

How about outdoor games? How old are they?
    Duck, Duck Goose.
    Ring around the Rosie
    Hula Hoop
    Jump Roping
    Freeze Tag
    Red Rover
    Badminton
    Dodge Ball
    Freeze Dance

I love to exercise....would even consider myself addicted to it! I love strength exercises, push-ups, sit-ups, wall sits, squats, planks. I have found that the stronger I become, the more fun it is!
  • ToogieTuesday
    Options
    I think the things we get addicted to are "instant gratification" type things that give us pleasure and send us a hit of endorphins (feel good / reward hormone). Setting a plan, being passionate, inspiration etc. help with a long term goal, however they're not the only thing that sustain it. Having someone who supports you, encourages you (especially when you're down or not seeing results) is a must have. Also a big one--not keeping treats in the house... out of sight out of mind. Setting realistic short term goals works for me i.e. down 2 glasses of water before 5 o'clock hits, etc.

Good luck to you and your goal! :) Good luck to us all :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I don't get addicted to things easily but I am addicted to running. or it feels like a hobby, I can do things like buy gadgets and clothes and things to aid with my running.

Exactly Eric. I am the same way. Its enjoyable to by gadgets and stuff for working out when you know you will actually use them. Its amazing and fun.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! I am looking to start a running program this spring., I ran on the treadmil today taking walking breaks and it felt amazing!!! I just have to come over my fear of my heart beating hard.

Good luck pretty lady!
  • tendzz
    tendzz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You don't get addicted to the actual act of lifting weights or running on a treadmill for any amount of time, you get addicted to the after effects like the release of endorphins or the feeling of how your legs or muscles feel like goo and falling asleep later on :)
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Aww, I'd love to become a "proper" runner (or as we call it in our house, a Runnist), I've completed C25k 3 times...but unfortunately, I suffer from CTHS (chronic tension headache syndrome), and eventually a lengthy spell of debilitating, exercise induced headaches throws me off track and I lose my running fitness all over again.

For now, I stick to brisk walking...it's sustainable for much longer periods if you're a bit heavy as I am, burns plenty of cals if you don't simply amble, and gets you outdoors and moving away from the couch. And any headaches from walking tend to be short lived (the running ones were horrific!) and manageable.

I have a dog so I've been a regular walker for 7 years, but I've gotten faster and fitter since I've been losing weight through diet. I've been at it 11 weeks (I said 15 weeks on a thread yesterday, no idea where I got the extra month from??) and I've lost 21 lbs.

Go walk in the sunshine, that's pretty addictive. :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've been at it 11 weeks (I said 15 weeks on a thread yesterday, no idea where I got the extra month from??) and I've lost 21 lbs.

:bigsmile: All the walking is just fueling your imagination. It's a good thing. :laugh:
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been at it 11 weeks (I said 15 weeks on a thread yesterday, no idea where I got the extra month from??) and I've lost 21 lbs.

:bigsmile: All the walking is just fueling your imagination. It's a good thing. :laugh:

Walking 10k out in the English countryside is certainly good thinking time...and maths was never my strong point :blushing:
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    OP.....You asked a question and got a lot of great responses.....and even though there were a few trigger words in the responses you seemed to keep an open mind, and responded with accountability and humor ........well done!

Just wanted to give you a few websites that might work for you at home: for body weight training until you have access to weights, check out You are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, and Al Kavadlo. I have no experience with any of these, but have seen them recommended often.

However, I began my journey with the warm-up exercises (20 minutes includes PNF patterns, squats and push-ups at beginner level) from this website which I really enjoyed: http://www.wcgh.org/community-classes/exercise/exercise-videos/ [*Disclaimer: these exercises are done as a community resource and are the first that the exercise coach has ever recorded]
  • TJFreeman
    TJFreeman Posts: 96
    Options
    It happened to me almost a year ago. Only I don't think it is actually the exercise I am addicted to, but the euphoric feeling I get AFTER I exercise. There is nothing quite like it for me.