Protein Powder

Options
Hello,

I'm noticing after documenting calories in the past 3 weeks I'm ALWAYS deficient in protien. So my question is, Is powder protien a good alternative? I'd like to not EAT more food because I'm doing very well on the calories.

Edit: I do understand that the powder would contain calories.
Thanks,

Replies

• Operation_Shred
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey. Ballpark 120 cal for around 20g protein.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So if you're going to add protein powder, but want to maintain the same overall calories, you'll have to cut out some food.

I don't know what you consider "deficient" in protein, but I myself add protein powder in order to reach my goals. As long as it isn't your only source of protein, it should be fine.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder too. I usually add a scoop to the plain yogurt I eat at lunch (I use the same brand that Operation_Shred uses). I find that if I don't get enough protein and fat, my hair will start shedding like crazy about 2 months in. Even going low carb because of diabetes, I typically don't get enough protein without it.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. IMO best protein, many flavors, always on sale somewhere, all types of protein available, depending on your goal ( whey, casein....).
    I use fast absorbing whey isolate after training to feed my muscles quickly with protein, slow digested casein over night for recovery and repair. They are also great for cooking and baking, if you want to give your favorite dessert or cake an extra boost of protein. There are also plant based proteins on the market, like pea protein. Check out bodybuilding.com, they have the best prices, fastest shipping, and a good selection.
    If you prefer to get your protein from food, one of the most popular, low calorie choices is tilapia. I also like swai and salmon. Non-fat plain Greek yogurt has a ton of protein, but compare labels. Not all brands are alike. Depending on sales, I take Chobani or Great Value. Mix it with chocolate or vanilla protein powder, and it's better than pudding.
    Enjoy!
  • chrisrandleman
    chrisrandleman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just counting what MFP says my daily protien should be. I have calories to spare i just feel that if i add food i will add more than just the protien.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just counting what MFP says my daily protien should be. I have calories to spare i just feel that if i add food i will add more than just the protien.
    Chicken breast? Egg Whites?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is no need to add protein unless you are a body builder.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like Dymatize Iso 100. 106 calories for 25 grams of protein. A good general rule of thumb to follow regarding protein intake is 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Egg whites, chicken, lowfat Greek yogurt and shrimp are all also good, lower calorie protein food choices.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

actually that is probably too low as well.

I try to get in at least 120g a day and I typically come really close without protien powder and I am eating on average 1700 a day.

Your calories for a man are too low...min should be 1800...and with 1800 to get in the protien eat lean meats like chicken breast, fish like salmon, turn etc and seafood, milk, greek yogurt and eggs/egg whites. I save my calories by eating low fat cheese and skim milk.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This is not true...I am not a body builder and to maintain muscle and help repair it after exercise you need extra protien.

ETA: and it helps keep you fuller longer.

But you are not a meat eater so pushing this is no surprise.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options

whats that number exactly? MFP has a tendency to be way off on suggested daily macro ratios.

if you are cutting and at a higher body fat % (like >17%) just try and get about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass you have (estimation for now is fine). and remember if you log your cardio, ignore the "remaining numbers" breakdown for macros because it will increase all 3 based on your set ratio which could end up with you eating 400g+ of protein a day if you do a lot of running and stick to the remaining numbers section.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...welcome to the world of food labels! My daily protein intake is currently set to 45%. My shopping list contains eggs, chicken, turkey, Greek yogurt, protein powder, fish, soy milk......and that't pretty much it... The family raises cattle, and there are always deer around the house, which are a great source of lean protein.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

lolololol
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    if you're not hitting your protein goals through "real" food it's a-ok to get it from a supplement (that's what they're designed for - NOT for meal replacements).

i'll throw another vote out there for optimum nutrition gold standard whey protein.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    35klh51.gif
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes! If my macros are off at the end of the day... I drink a scoop of protein powder mixed with water for my evening snack (or right after my workout).
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    35klh51.gif

Damn frugivores, man!!!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • chrisrandleman
    Options
    Ok I'm 227 lbs at 5'8" so obvioulsy big. and it says my protien intake should be 74 grams per day (before working out).

Which is probably low but i'm not hitting that number regularly
  • chrisrandleman
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has given REAL useful help.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OP - I think I understand a bit what you mean. I myself use protein powder, not becasue I'm vegetarian or anything (love meat and dairy), but becasue I just don't seem to want to eat that much lean meat for the protein I'd like to get in each day. I found an unflavored, unsweetened protein powder that I get online and just add to a glass of milk or yogurt or the occasional smoothie or my oatmeal. Tried a few flavored ones, but I just didn't like the taste. The one I use (110 cals for 28g protein) is Allmax Isonatural Unflavored.