Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• chrisrandleman
    chrisrandleman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP - I think I understand a bit what you mean. I myself use protein powder, not becasue I'm vegetarian or anything (love meat and dairy), but becasue I just don't seem to want to eat that much lean meat for the protein I'd like to get in each day. I found an unflavored, unsweetened protein powder that I get online and just add to a glass of milk or yogurt or the occasional smoothie or my oatmeal. Tried a few flavored ones, but I just didn't like the taste. The one I use (110 cals for 28g protein) is Allmax Isonatural Unflavored.

This is what i am looking for, i feel that i would add a whole meal instead of just the lean meat, which would make me over eat.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using protein powder as a supplement to your good diet! I have my protein set to 30%.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am not a body builder, and yes I do use protein powders to help hit my protein macro.

I currently use Unjury Whey, but might try some of the other brands mentioned here next time I need some. Many mornings my breakfast is 227g non-fat plain Greek yogurt and 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder. That gives 44g of protein in about 220 calories.

My snacks are often protein bars with about <200 calories, at least 15g of protein and < 20g carbs. I like them because I can always have one available in my office or purse.

If I'm still under my macro at the end of the day, I'll do 1 scoop of protein powder in 1c of skim or 1% milk.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    OP- I eat a little bit more than the typical .8-1 g/ lb of lean body mass and hit 120 g protein regularly. I do drink the occasional protein shake, but focus my meals around protein first and then let the other macros fall where they will. I like Trutein protein powder and use the vanilla in a few different recipes and just recently got other flavors for shakes.

My diary is open if you want to look and get some ideas on how to increase the protein amounts in your current meals (I have 3 weeks logged starting 2/27). I don't eat out often and cook most of my meals from scratch. It isn't something that many people like/have the resources to do, but it does help keep my macros in check with the calories. I eat about 1600-1700 per day.

ETA: While you don't have to change what you eat to lose weight, if you want to start increasing your protein levels, you have plenty of room to change one or two meals around and increase the protein levels in them without adding additional meals.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    There is no need to add protein unless you are a body builder.

lolololol
    and hurr
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm noticing after documenting calories in the past 3 weeks I'm ALWAYS deficient in protien. So my question is, Is powder protien a good alternative? I'd like to not EAT more food because I'm doing very well on the calories.

Edit: I do understand that the powder would contain calories.
    Thanks,

Why not swap foods instead of eating more foods?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just counting what MFP says my daily protien should be. I have calories to spare i just feel that if i add food i will add more than just the protien.

You're under the MFP default goal???

Yeah, I'd strongly recommend that you find a way to get more protein into your diet, whatever the source. The MFP default protein level is arguably far lower than optimal.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 0.8-1g protein/pound LBM as a starting point.
  • chrisrandleman
    Options
    So really my question is. Is using a podwer as a suppliment ok, or recommended?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Using a powder is ok. I wouldn't say recommended necessarily. I aim for at least 90 grams of protein a day. I don't always hit this without using the powder or a protein bar, so I supplement.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I have 1.5 scoops of unflavored...(which would be more appropriately called assflavored)...NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate every day as part of my overall strategy to reach my protein target of 150-175g...

...so I'm probably a little biased in my answer of "yes, absolutely okay and recommended."
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It is definitely OK. Whether or not it is recommended depends on your overall dietary needs. For me, it was recommended by my doctor because of the aforementioned problems if I don't get enough protein.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Yes on both for me. IMO, protein powder is just a food like any other. Not sure if anyone here has mentioned it before, but there are different types of protein and protein powder. They are absorbed by our bodies at different rates, and most of the lifters among us like to use them to feed their muscles according to their fitness goals. E.g. in order to prevent the body from using protein from existing lean muscle mass in order to repair sore bits, I try to drink a whey isolate shake right after training. Isolate basically jumps right to the front of the line for digestion (there is also faster absorbed hydrolyzed whey, but it's more expensive and IMO doesn't taste too good..) If I'm not training hard, and if I'm not sore, just about any source of protein will do to fill my daily requirement.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

I have 1.5 scoops of unflavored...(which would be more appropriately called assflavored)...NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate every day as part of my overall strategy to reach my protein target of 150-175g......so I'm probably a little biased in my answer of "yes, absolutely okay and recommended."

And dear god...don't smell the unflavored whey protein powder!! Makes for some funky milk, but I really do prefer that taste to the weirdly flavored ones (but that's just me).
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I have 1.5 scoops of unflavored...(which would be more appropriately called assflavored)...NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate every day as part of my overall strategy to reach my protein target of 150-175g......so I'm probably a little biased in my answer of "yes, absolutely okay and recommended."

And dear god...don't smell the unflavored whey protein powder!! Makes for some funky milk, but I really do prefer that taste to the weirdly flavored ones (but that's just me).

I cheat and add a half serving of Hershey's syrup to the powder in a cup of milk and then chug it. I've tried it without the syrup with...uh...less than favorable results...because worse than just drinking that vile concoction is choking and blowing some of it out of your nose.

True unfortunate story.
  • chrisrandleman
    Options

I have a breakfast smoothie everday, so that was my next question was flavor. I will try different ones and see what works the best.

Thank you everyone for your information, it's been very helpful!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Yes, it is okay and recommended, but if you follow the .8-1g per lb LBM, a scoop of powder a day won't get you anywhere close to where you potentially should be based on your current protein intake levels. If you are unable/unwilling to eat more protein during your regular meals, then getting the protein with powder is probably the best option.
  • chrisrandleman
    Options

Yes, it is okay and recommended, but if you follow the .8-1g per lb LBM, a scoop of powder a day won't get you anywhere close to where you potentially should be based on your current protein intake levels. If you are unable/unwilling to eat more protein during your regular meals, then getting the protein with powder is probably the best option.

I understand that changing the diet is really the key. I will work on eating more protein, and use this as a supplement
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Not needed or wanted. Eat your protein!
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Protein powder is a viable way to add protein to your diet. However, as a person who consumes a protein shake 3 days a week before lifting, I will say that protein foods are better because they actually fill you up.

I also think that your (MFP's) protein goal is too low. You want to maintain as much lean mass as possible during weight loss, and that is achieved by eating sufficient protein (and doing strength training). The typical recommended amount of protein is 1g per pound of lean body mass (you have to know your BF%, or just go with 0.8 g per pound of body weight).

Center your meals around protein, avoid snacking unless the snack is protein-ful, and maybe lower your carbs for a while (or however long you want) to really focus on the protein.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just had to put my 2cents... I personally think Optimum Gold is one of the worst tasting and nastiest smelling proteins out there.
    Yuck 100%. So many better ones.

Depending on what kind of stats you're looking for... tons of options and tons of places to order samples.

My macros here are 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat so shakes help me hit that and still stay within my calorie goal.