Choosing goal weight?

Options

Replies

• lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i've changed mine a few times, first i wanted to be under 200lbs, then the lowest weight i'd managed since childbirth (nearly 16 years ago with 4 kids) i then went for my pre pregnancy weight, and now i'm aiming for the highest weight i can be and still be a healthy weight, when i get there i will see how i feel but ultimately i'd love to be mid way in the healthy weight range but in reality i haven't weighed that little since the age of 10 so don't no if that is achievable or realistic for me
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I checked my bmi and looked at the weight I should be to have a good bmi, but if I feel ok along the way and I'm above that weight then I will stop anyway. I have more of a size in my head that I would like to be, so not too bothered about what I weigh, as I am doing more strength training and exercise now, so am aware that I could gain weight with increased muscle mass.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I never set a goal in the beginning, I just wanted to get fit. After a while when I could see actual results I set my goal at exactly one pound less than the bottom healthy weight for my particular stats (age/activity level/etc.). I have two lbs to go to hit that number, then I'll bump it up and maintain :)
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I was 100+ kilos I dreamt about having normal BMI - that was 83,5 for my hight (183cm). Now I'm gonna try get under 80. But started kettle-bells yesterday, so I may have to let the scale go soon.. :tongue:
  • I chose the lowest weight for a healthy BMI for my height as my ultimate goal, but I am not realizing that that is probably way too thin for me, so I'm adjusting it as I go and trying to gain muscle so I focus less on the scale and more on how I feel.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of metrics for picking a goal weight . . . For my long term goal, I have initially chosen the high end of the healthy BMI range for my height. That being said, the last time I weighted that little, I was 16 years old and playing three sports. That, along with the fact that I have always been a little on the stocky side (not euphemistically), makes me believe that that number is probably a little low. But I can always reevaluate once I get within 10-15 pounds. Plus, I intend to start doing regular (quarterly?) hydrostatic body fat measurements pretty soon, so that may also influence the final number. :) I also have a few activity specific metrics:

* Get proficient at deadlifts (i.e., form): done.
    * Increase compound exercise loadings to something reasonable: bench/done, DL/getting close, squat/see following bullet.
    * Start running (i.e., go through C25K rigorously): It was going good for a while, but I am currently being walayed due to a knee issue, but I am working actively to get that dealt with.

Cheers.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My highest was 249. When I started, I thought 165 sounded like a good number...it was much lower than any weight I'd been since I was a kid. As I lost weight and looked through hundreds of progress pics for people who were similar stats as me, I changed my goal weight to 149 for three reasons. One, I had researched and found that a healthy weight for 5'6 women is around 130-150. Two, 149 would make 100 lbs lost by the time I was done. And three, my sister weighs 150 and she looks great (she's about an inch shorter than me). Ultimately, I knew if I got to a specific weight, say 165, and I liked the way I looked, I could always choose not to go any lower. I think most people tweak their goal weights throughout the process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    At first my goal weight (165) was based on the smallest I'd been since I had my son...

I hit it and wasn't happy with what I saw...so I set another goal of 155...

But that goal isn't my "goal"...my goal is 20-22% BF...which puts me at 149-152..
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    pretty much because I am aiming for an even 100lbs lost and a weight I know that I can maintain instead of my usual goal of 118 that I know I cant reach without literally starving myself and looking too skinny or unhealthy. My husband doesn't want me below 140 but I am aiming for 134 so he will have to deal with that. (40 more to go)
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You guys all all so inspirational! You all seem to be making great progress
    I have decided that the weight I am comfortable at is 120 (5'5"), however my boyfriend doesn't agree, he likes 130. I'm so torn...
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I picked 117 because I'm sick of the Doc telling me to lose weight. 123 is the most I can weigh and be 'healthy' for my height. So I figure 117 will allow me to wear jeans and boots when I go to the doc and still weigh in 'healthy.' I've never weighed less than 127 since I've been an adult so we'll see how I feel when I get in the 120s!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Mine found me in time. Initially, I picked 127 as my goal based on a prior "happy weight" and idea that long term, I could just stay < 130. But, once I got there, my 40-something body did not look like I remembered my 20-something body at that weight, so I kept going. At 119, my face looked a little gaunt, and it was a challenge to find clothes, so I slowly gained a few back and settled at 122 with an acceptable range of 120 - 124. I've managed to stay withint that range for two years with very little effort, but hitting 119 or 125 would be a trigger to take action.
  • mrsl90
    mrsl90 Posts: 31
    Options
    I looked at the weight range for a healthy BMI for my age and height and picked a weight in the middle
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My goal weight has changes repeatedly since I started this journey. First I thought 190 would be good, but I blasted right past that and figured I'd go to 175. Still didn't have the body I wanted so I went to 155 - which was a LOT different than my original 190. Once I got there it changed again, but now I am not so concerned about the number as I am the amount of body fat and lean muscle. My new goal is to put on another 3-5 lbs of lean muscle and get my bf% around 10-12%. What ever my weight is there is fine with me.
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be less than 25 BMI so I picked 185. My twin weighs 180 so something in that range sounded good.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I look at my historically lowest weight (88), the weight I maintained in my 20s (low to high 90s) and the weight I've found it easiest to maintain in the last five years (low 100s). Since I've had a scale that estimates body fat percentage, I also look at that. It is harder to maintain my weight as I get older, but I'm working to stay in a good range.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My overall goal is 125. It's the lowest I can go and still be considered a healthy weight at 5'9". However, I don't focus on that number. My only goal is 25 lbs. I focus on the next 25lb tier. I have rewards for each 25lbs that I lose,ranging from a HRM to $3000 shopping spree for a new wardrobe when I reach my goal.
  • raegrove
    raegrove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!

I am 5'8" and graduated high school at 137. I was "skinny"
    now 12 years later I chose 160 as my initial goal as that would be just under the top range for BMI.
    I hit my goal mid January and decided to go a little lower. I think I have it set at 152.
    I am currently wearing size 10 pants, but they are getting too loose, so I think 152 would put me in size 8 comfortable. I want to be healthy and thin, NOT skinny. those days are long gone, and I am happy about that!

I have changed my GW a couple times. 1st it was 150, because that is the max on BMI scale I can weigh. Then I changed it to 125, to be in the lower-mid BMI range. Then I got down to 160, and saw I was already a size 8/10, and I got scarred I'd be a toothpick if I got down to 125lbs, so I upped it to 130-135 range. I'm now sitting at 152 lbs and wear a size 6 jean, so I might even stop at 140. I just don't want to get super skinny, just healthy
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I picked one that was between 22 and 23 bmi. Also it was a weight I felt was healthy when I was there. I was about a size7/8 back then. ehh Idk. If I have to reevaluate I will but Im sticking with it.

Im 5'6 so I think 140 would be very healthy without being too skinny.
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    Options
    Mine has changed. First I just wanted to get out of the morbid obesity group. When I reached that goal it became far enough in the overweight category so I'd never be in the obese group again. Now it's in the healthy range and jeans in the single digit size.

For me saying I will drop 101 lbs was just too damned big. I needed to break it into smaller steps and see progress. I also have physical goals that go with it. Currently working towards a 25:00 5K.