I'm stronger than my significant other

I found out this weekend that I am stronger than my fiance. In all fairness, he doesn't work out and I have been strength training and lifting heavy for over a year. He's definitely not a weakling and up until this weekend, I thought he was a lot stronger than I was and was quite shocked to find out that I had a slight advantage.

Here's my question... Guys would it bother you if your wife or girlfriend was stronger than you?

The more I think about it, I probably should have let him win. :wink:

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Well, my wife is smarter than me, so...........
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I'll answer for my husband. Yes; BUT in all fairness, I'm 5'3 and he's 6'3. He SHOULD be stronger. He would be less disturbed if we were closer in size.

It does not bother him that I am smarter and funnier and cuter and....well, you get the idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    How was this measured?

ETA: my wife lifts like a power lifter so she is stronger than a lot of guys out there who don't do anything. She is not stronger than me...I would never let that happen. That said, I would imagine that most guys could train for a month or so and probably be close to where she's at right now on squats and dead-lifts.

She is a better runner than me though...but I don't care about that.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    How was this measured?

We were standing toe to toe (we are roughly the same height) and we locked hands and our arms were in a position almost like a military press is the best way I can describe it. He tried to push my arms down and then I tried to push his. It was pretty close, but I won.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Don't hurt him he's fragile. You should buy him flowers and perfume to cheer him up.
  • BOOM.

Job well done.

I'm trying to be stronger than my SO....but he keeps lifting those damn heavy weights and staying ahead of me....

but I'm catching up.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    How was this measured?

We were standing toe to toe (we are roughly the same height) and we locked hands and our arms were in a position almost like a military press is the best way I can describe it. He tried to push my arms down and then I tried to push his. It was pretty close, but I won.

Not sure this can be the determining factor. Can you lift more than him?
  • Colli78
    How was this measured?

Not sure this can be the determining factor. Can you lift more than him?

I can bench press his 11 year old daughter... I don't know if he has tried. Maybe we should try that? Hahaha
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    The gym I go to there is a couple that share the same sized weight belt. She lifts the same, if not more than her SO.

The guy only shows up a 1/4th of the time that she does and she is extremely dedicated and does weight lifting competitions.
    If i was him, I'd get my butt in the gym more often. I just hope he makes more money at his job than she does.
  • The gym I go to there is a couple that share the same sized weight belt. She lifts the same, if not more than her SO.

The guy only shows up a 1/4th of the time that she does and she is extremely dedicated and does weight lifting competitions.
    If i was him, I'd get my butt in the gym more often. I just hope he makes more money at his job than she does.

no I make more....

don't push it....we're comfortable with this dynamic.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I can lift WAY more than my Significant Other.

He's such a *****.
  • Colli78
    The gym I go to there is a couple that share the same sized weight belt. She lifts the same, if not more than her SO.

When we first started dating 6 years ago, he was VERY fit and chiseled. He was actually the one giving me advice throughout my journey to the gym. Telling me exercises to do, how to lift, what to lift, etc. But in the last year or so, I have been spending about an hour and a half in the gym 5 days a week and he has been working 12-18 hour days depending on his job. So I definitely don't think less of him because of it. I just have more gym time than he does.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I'm sure it would bother my husband if I were stronger than him. Quite frankly, it would bother me. He's stronger than he looks, lifts, and used to wrestle in high school. If he wasn't able to overpower little old me, I'd be worried.

It's sexist and a double standard, I'm sure, but I see my husband as a bit of a protector. How can I be protected by someone I can beat up? Luckily, that'll never happen - I'm a weakling.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    That's kinda hot.

It's not something I've ever considered as it's very unlikely to happen, but I'd probably be competitive about it, rather than 'bothered' so to speak.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member

He's such a *****.

Yeah! Screw that wimp!!!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I don't know that I'd want to be stronger than my SO, but I am strong in my own right and that's okay with me.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    That's funny!!!! She would have to be from another planet.....
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I've said this before, but it bears repeating. If I'm stronger than you, I will not ever want to sleep with you. It very likely wouldn't be any fun for me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

He's such a *****.

Yeah! Screw that wimp!!!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kinesiology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

I didn't realize you were an IKEA Professional Put Together-er! You might be stronger than me, then...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I would like to say it wouldn't bother me, but it probably would. My husband and I are the same height and size. He also has a very bad back and doesn't lift much anymore, but he's male and he's lifted on and off for 20 years. He rarely picks up our children due to his back, but there's no doubt he's still much stronger than me.