1200 cals a day?!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". I lost my weight eating significantly more than 1200.

I don't understand why people would willingly eat so little.

Look, it was perfectly and totally right for you to eat more than 1200 calories a day. You lost 82 pounds! That is a whole lot (and jesus you can be proud, by the way) so you lost a whole lot by eating 1200+ calories.
    But what people seem to not understand is that NOT EVERYBODY HERE IS THE SAME.
    If you're let's say 135lbs and you want to be 125lbs and your body is really hard on losing weight, a 1200 calorie diet might be what it takes you in order to lose those pounds.

I'm 125lbs and can still lose 0.5lbs a week eating 1500 calories plus exercise calories.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    On days I don't exercise I don't have any problem staying below 1200 calories. I will eat 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal in the morning, which is 200 calories, then do a tuna salad with lettuce at lunch for 250 calories. Then i will eat 2 chicken breasts and some vegetables at dinner for 300 calories, and a half cup of frozen yogurt for 100 calories. I still have room for another serving of oatmeal at 200 calories and another 150 calories to spare.

If you eat healthy stuff all day, it isn't really that difficult to stay under 1200 calories.

Did bad today though, went to the Thai buffet and pigged out lol. Ate mostly vegetables and chicken though.

You are a man, you should not eat that little.

Maybe. But I've lost 90 pounds and I just had a full physical, and the Dr. says I am a helluva lot healthier than when I was fat.

Dude is also in his 40's. Do I think it's healthy and that muscle mass is most likely being sacrificed, yes, but 1200 probably isn't as far off for him as others.

Myself, if I were under or at 1200 at lunchtime I'd be light headed...

When I get rid of this last 10 pounds of belly fat I'll start worrying about my muscle mass, but I'm not exactly wasting away at 185 and 5'11.
    lol
    <---same weight and height as you in this pic... and i am a woman in her 40's

you should not wait till you are done to focus on muscle, you should be trying to preserve it the whole time...you will look WAY better when you get to your goal.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I am 1200 or less and it does work for me.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure why this thread is still going.

OP said that it wasn't working for her and she wanted advice on what she should do?

I think she gets it....eat more.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that I don't lose weight when I eat 2500, 2000, 1800, 1600, 1350 OR 1200 calories a day - I've tried each of these at least 6 days a week for 4-8 weeks in a row. The *only* time I lose weight is if I eat 600-900 AND burn some off. Even then it's a struggle (e.g. 1lb a month or so)

I weigh 154lbs and am 5'5'' btw so I'm not like desperadoly thin!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that I don't lose weight when I eat 2500, 2000, 1800, 1600, 1350 OR 1200 calories a day - I've tried each of these at least 6 days a week for 4-8 weeks in a row. The *only* time I lose weight is if I eat 600-900 AND burn some off. Even then it's a struggle (e.g. 1lb a month or so)

I don't buy that all. That doesn't make any sense...

Unless you are an alien and have a different body comp than the rest of us.

You should really go talk to your Dr.

----Now I'm just feisty.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

The thing is, you can't keep changing the number in that 6-8 week window. You have to try 1 number for at least 4 weeks to really know if it's working or not.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    ...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.
    Don't forget about the gods-awful mind-frack it is when you've been eating 1200 for months (or YEARS) and something happens that makes it necessary for you to up your calories. Better to take it slow and not set yourself up for a really rough time in the future, IMHO.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

The thing is, you can't keep changing the number in that 6-8 week window. You have to try 1 number for at least 4 weeks to really know if it's working or not.

I don't, I mean I tried each one for 6-8 weeks at a time!

----Now I'm just feisty.

I did talk to my doctor but because my BMI is only 25-26 at any one time (healthy to only slightly overweight) they say it's not a problem. I've tried everything - and I'm friggin' starving :(
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

I don't, I mean I tried each one for 6-8 weeks at a time!

----Now I'm just feisty.

I did talk to my doctor but because my BMI is only 25-26 at any one time (healthy to only slightly overweight) they say it's not a problem. I've tried everything - and I'm friggin' starving :(

It could be that you've slowed your metabolism down by eating so low, so it may take a lot longer to correct the problem than 6 to 8 weeks. Why not try taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for awhile. Then when you start back up again, you could try NETTING 1200 (eat back your exercise calories) and stick with that for at least 3 months, maybe even longer. Then you can go from there on upping it slowly by 100 calories a week until you are eating your TDEE - 15 percent. If that doesn't work, then you should also get some testing down by the doctor to make sure there isn't something else going on. Make sure you use a food scale though and a HRM.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR and it is close to yours at 1495. multiply it by 1.2 bc i am mostly seditary due to my job ( you can look up the multiplier if you are more active. for lightly active, as an example, it is 1.37)
    so to lose a pound a week (since a pound is 3500 calories) i would have to be at 1294 daily but some days are easier than others and i am always under my weekly goals- i come close on days but not close as a week in whole-so it was easier to look at is as a week:
    3500 calorie deficit per week= 1lb. 3500/7=500 deficit a day
    1294x7=9058 calories per week which would make me lose 1lb.
    But again, I am more likely to hit the weekly number than the daily one ALL SEVEN DAYS. I might do 5 days at the least though ;)
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR and it is close to yours at 1495. multiply it by 1.2 bc i am mostly seditary due to my job ( you can look up the multiplier if you are more active. for lightly active, as an example, it is 1.37)
    so to lose a pound a week (since a pound is 3500 calories) i would have to be at 1294 daily but some days are easier than others and i am always under my weekly goals- i come close on days but not close as a week in whole-so it was easier to look at is as a week:
    3500 calorie deficit per week= 1lb. 3500/7=500 deficit a day
    1294x7=9058 calories per week which would make me lose 1lb.
    But again, I am more likely to hit the weekly number than the daily one ALL SEVEN DAYS. I might do 5 days at the least though ;)

Since you only have 17 more pounds to lose (according to your ticker), it would probably be better to aim for 0.5 lb per week loss instead of 1 pound. The closer you get to goal weight, the more calories you should be eating to slow down your weight loss. This helps make transitioning into maintenance so much easier because you don't have a big jump in calorie intake.
  • aliciamarie3182
    aliciamarie3182 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day, most days I am under 1000 sometimes close to 1200, it makes me feel like I am eating too much if I reach the 1200. I know that is bad thinking. I eat breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner. Dinner is usually where most of my calories are. I just started going to the gym so now I will need to make sure I am getting the right amount since I am burning calories now.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

If you're really confident in your calorie consumption (weigh everything! -- it can make a huge difference!), you really should go to your doctor and have things checked out -- thyroid, insulin resistance, adrenal issues, etc. -- because what you described is not normal.

I know because I used to have a similar issue and after years of docs telling me everything was "fine" (I used to eat at 700+ calorie deficit on a daily basis and only lost 2.2 lbs in 3 months!), I finally found one that looked more in depth and lo and behold thyroid issue and insulin resistance. After getting those on track, I lost like a "normal" person -- no more extreme calorie restriction -- and lost according to my calculated deficit.
  • MrsMetzler2013
    MrsMetzler2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is reassuring to read others' posts! I am trying so hard to stick to 1200 calories a day but it is so hard. I am famished by the time I get home from work and try to make it until dinner without a snack. I work out 4-6 times a week, usually in the mornings. I always eat back my calories because I get a bit crabby if I get too hungry. Does MFP just automatically put people at 1200 a day? It is discouraging at the end of the day if I've gone over my limit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Those of you who think that you can't lose weight on more than 1200 cal/day may find this thread interesting...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/524791-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day?

Oops meant to tag the original:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • dawlschic007
    Options
    It is reassuring to read others' posts! I am trying so hard to stick to 1200 calories a day but it is so hard. I am famished by the time I get home from work and try to make it until dinner without a snack. I work out 4-6 times a week, usually in the mornings. I always eat back my calories because I get a bit crabby if I get too hungry. Does MFP just automatically put people at 1200 a day? It is discouraging at the end of the day if I've gone over my limit.

It depends on how you set up MFP. If you said you are sedentary and want to lose 2 pounds per week, then you usually get 1200 calories. But if you change your settings to something more manageable, like lightly active and want to lose 1 pound or 0.5 lb per week, then you'll get a lot more calories.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Pretty much yes, people often set their goals up wrong for them. The less weight you have left to lose the less weight you should be trying to lose weekly. You should be eating closer to maintenance so that when you reach your goal, you're not trying to add a whole bunch of calories at once.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My BMR is only 1364, so I really think I should up my goal to about 1450 since I have a tendency to under eat on normal days.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

MFP calculates how much you need for ordinary daily life (not including exercise).

Then it subtracts a flat number of calories depending on how many pounds per week you say you want to lose. It will deduct 1,000 calories for 2 pounds per week, 500 calories for 1 pound a week, etc. But it will not go below 1200 as a minimum.

Many people wrongly choose 2 pounds per week, because who the heck doesn't want to lose 2 pounds per week, right? But really that is too aggressive of a cut for MOST people. Since you need to lose 18 pounds according to your ticker, I would set it to 1 pound a week.

The other thing here is notice I said above it calculates what you need not including exercise, when you do exercise, you need to eat more fuel for that. The other thing many other people wrongly do, they don't eat more when they exercise. You do have to be careful as to what the actual calorie burn is, the MFP allowances for exercise are said to be generous, so many people only eat some of those calories.