1200 cals a day?!

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Ht and wt says nothing about bf%. You are sacrificing muscle mass...plain and simple. Why would you want to lose mass to get to a number on a scale in order to work 10 times harder to put just a shred of that muscle back on. It boggles my mind every time someone says that.
    It's because they have no idea how difficult it is to put on muscle mass. And sadly, they won't believe anyone when you tell them that it is 10 times harder, so once they figure it out, the damage is already done.

Muscle mass is not all that difficult to gain. Up calories gently, while adding protein.
    I eat 150 g or more protein a day.

and again...

IXUO5zJ.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Ht and wt says nothing about bf%. You are sacrificing muscle mass...plain and simple. Why would you want to lose mass to get to a number on a scale in order to work 10 times harder to put just a shred of that muscle back on. It boggles my mind every time someone says that.
    It's because they have no idea how difficult it is to put on muscle mass. And sadly, they won't believe anyone when you tell them that it is 10 times harder, so once they figure it out, the damage is already done.

Muscle mass is not all that difficult to gain. Up calories gently, while adding protein.

It's true this is why weightlifting make me super manly.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok I have an odd problem. So I started working out 4-5 days a week for 45min in january and I have lost 10 pounds then and I have not changed my diet except for having breakfast and coffee at home with less sweetener and carby pastries. I have a moderately active job and live in a highly pedestrian city. I find it hard to reach 1200 calories with out pushing my self to eat more. I often only eat one regular size meal a day with snacks of fruit veggies and hummus. I'm now wondering after logging my calories and reading more if I have a possible problem. I've always eaten less than friends and family and been heavier than they are. Any suggestions?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Ok I have an odd problem. So I started working out 4-5 days a week for 45min in january and I have lost 10 pounds then and I have not changed my diet except for having breakfast and coffee at home with less sweetener and carby pastries. I have a moderately active job and live in a highly pedestrian city. I find it hard to reach 1200 calories with out pushing my self to eat more. I often only eat one regular size meal a day with snacks of fruit veggies and hummus. I'm now wondering after logging my calories and reading more if I have a possible problem. I've always eaten less than friends and family and been heavier than they are. Any suggestions?
    1. Change your goals in mfp from sedentary.
    2. Don't eat diet foods. Magically, you'll be able to hit 1200 calories and beyond.
    3. Create your own thread. Click on the general weight loss heading up there, then you should see a button that says new topic.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    1. Change your goals in mfp from sedentary.
    2. Don't eat diet foods. Magically, you'll be able to hit 1200 calories and beyond.
    3. Create your own thread. Click on the general weight loss heading up there, then you should see a button that says new topic.
    ]

Thanks, I guess this is its own topic. I'm not complaining it just surprised me how low my calories where once I started logging them.
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1420 and most days I am under by a couple hundred...I don't feel that restricted MOST days...key word most..lol, but I guess overall calorie budget wise that means most days I'm right with you guys. Granted I do workout 3-5 times a week too.
    :ohwell:
    Hmmm..I definitely don't want to up my calorie intake though...geez...am I eating too little?!
    MFP set me at 1420. It's been working so far so I guess no reason to change for now.
    :smile:
  • fitnessentourage
    Options
    1200 calories a day is basically starving yourself to death. you will not see any gains having that low of a calorie intake. whoever told you to do that doesn't have a clue about anything. I'm sure they told you not to eat carbs either. you feel the way you do because you are starving and your body is going to fight back by not burning anything. you should try iifym.com and see just what you are suppose to be intaking everyday. Its really a simple process. Flexible dieting is the way to go. not this 1200 cal nonsense. I am currently on a cut and my macros are 200carbs, 228protein, 63fat. my numbers were higher last month. I will try these numbers for 4 weeks and adjust how i see fit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOLwut?

:huh:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    lol... 1500 maintenance. work out daily & eat what you want......
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    How many 1200 eaters on this thread actually weigh their food? I've seen two or three that don't log on weekends, two or three that add a handful of nuts or fruit, an extra apple here or an extra something there... That is not 1200 calories. I'm sorry to say. And no man should eat 1200 calories. Starvation mode as it has been thrown around in this thread is a myth.

And I'm so glad I got to see the Trog head shake today.

P.S. When I ate 1200 calories I lost all my hair and did not look good. I am 40, 5'4 and still losing at 1900 a day minimum making sure I net my BMR.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I'm finding it impossible...

If this is true, then it's not sustainable for you and it probably won't work in the long-term. It may take longer to lose the weight, but a smaller deficit would probably work better for you.
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My MFP profile is set to 1200. Most days I go over. Nevertheless, I remain under 2000/ most days. I see it as a speed post sign. Once I get close/go over, I look at my macros and go from there the rest of the day. It generally balances out over the course of a week.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, wut now? :huh: :noway: :laugh:

ETA: I just had to add, this is the most outrageous thing I've seen here all day.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    people don't be afraid:flowerforyou: YOU CAN EAT more and still lose weight:drinker:
  • mellyb11
    mellyb11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 on some days (ie twice a week) and about 100-200 less during the week, I was thinking I might lose weight quicker this way and I wasn't to hungry. For the first 6 weeks I lost 1kg a week, then nothing for about 2 weeks. I got onto these forums which suggested I eat to net 1200, so I did and the weight began to fall off again. .I'm now thinking about increasing my calories per day now, as I don't have much more to lose, therefore giving me a closer look at what my daily calorie intake will be once I reach my goal and start to eat to maintain. I find it easy to meet 1200 by choosing healthy options that fill you up rather than fatty sugary foods that make you want more.
    I drink heaps of water, and have diet soda as a treat. The biggest thing for me has been learning the volumes of food.. I now weigh my foods and realised very quickly that, that was the reason I gained weight to begin with..
  • beebeeto
    beebeeto Posts: 24
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day. Actually I must eat 1200, but I am in my first week of dieting, so it is someway impossible to go from a 2000+ calories a day to the miserable 1200. The first days I did 1800, 1600, 1400 and today I hope to resist the 1200.

Really hope that the hunger will go away. I like exercise, but now I cant do much, so I must do the work with diet.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Uhm, you left out the difficult part.
    But here is a little magic for you instead, since magic is easier:
    magic-m-l.gif
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think people got the wrong idea about me. I stay 1200 or lower one time a week or so, not every day. I was just making the point that it is fairly easy to to if you eat the right stuff.
    and our point is:

very.. VERY few people should have to. the 1200 calorie that MFP gives out is a flub in the system. I'm sorry you're not following.

I just logged my 770th day on this site today. I've been posting the following blurb for a while.
    here are some clues:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.

I've bolded the important part so any future posters to this thread can see that there's a big bright light at the end of that godawful 1200 calorie tunnel that they get sucked into.

Feel free to take a look at those links yourself, it might help.

The thing is....I don't need help. I've lost 90 pounds without any suffering whatsoever and my weight loss has actually accelerated as I've moved forward. What I am doing is working for me.

The only point of my post was that if you stop eating foods that make you crave, if you just eat healthy, it is easy to keep your calories down. I'm not here to be the calorie police. I can see we have plenty of those here.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    On days I don't exercise I don't have any problem staying below 1200 calories. I will eat 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal in the morning, which is 200 calories, then do a tuna salad with lettuce at lunch for 250 calories. Then i will eat 2 chicken breasts and some vegetables at dinner for 300 calories, and a half cup of frozen yogurt for 100 calories. I still have room for another serving of oatmeal at 200 calories and another 150 calories to spare.

If you eat healthy stuff all day, it isn't really that difficult to stay under 1200 calories.

Did bad today though, went to the Thai buffet and pigged out lol. Ate mostly vegetables and chicken though.

You are a man, you should not eat that little.

Maybe. But I've lost 90 pounds and I just had a full physical, and the Dr. says I am a helluva lot healthier than when I was fat.

Dude is also in his 40's. Do I think it's healthy and that muscle mass is most likely being sacrificed, yes, but 1200 probably isn't as far off for him as others.

Myself, if I were under or at 1200 at lunchtime I'd be light headed...

When I get rid of this last 10 pounds of belly fat I'll start worrying about my muscle mass, but I'm not exactly wasting away at 185 and 5'11.
    lol
    <---same weight and height as you in this pic... and i am a woman in her 40's

you should not wait till you are done to focus on muscle, you should be trying to preserve it the whole time...you will look WAY better when you get to your goal.

Ok, let me clarify. I am hitting the weights twice a week to stay toned, I am just not trying build muscle mass while I lose the last bit of belly fat. My first goal is to get rid of the belly fat.

As far as my weight, I know a lot of the men on here like the big body builder look....that's not what I am going for. I prefer a slender look for myself. So whatever amount of muscle mass I will try to build after I lose this last little bit of belly fat, it won't be very much anyway.

By the way everyone, I ate at least 3500 calories yesterday, probably more, so don't worry about me, I'm not going into starvation mode anytime soon lol.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I eat 1800 calories a day and am losing weight. I eat/drink what I want. It's about moderation not deprivation. :flowerforyou:

Is that your "base" calories that you eat, no exercise calories? I have been stuck at just over 200 pounds for like, forever! I have tried 1200 calories, eating back my exercise calories, 1500 calories (TDEE) and eating back exercise calories and not eating back exercise calories. My body will not budge. I burn 600 calories 4 times a week doing a 5-mile walk. I'm frustrated, but not giving up.