Do you believe in food addiction?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• countrygirl7mels
    Options
    So many things (drugs, alcohol, food, shopping, gambling, hording, gaming, sex etc) can be addictive. Pretty much any activity that is used to soothe a person in an unhealthy way or a habit that is abused can be an addiction. Yes, food can be an addiction. It depends on how the person is using the food. Food addiction is not a craving or enjoying or wanting comfort food. It is based on an underlying problem just like all addictions. I personally feel as if addictions to legal activities such as eating food, shopping, or hording (over collecting things) are almost worse in a way than illegial activities because, although the addict is engaging in unhealthy activities, the addiction may go unnoticed or ignored simply because the addict is not engaging in illegal activities.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe that you can have a food addiction.

I have been abused by people who say that it's will power. I used to be one of them (and I kind of still am.) But sometimes it's a matter of while I am saying no, while I am fighting it I'm getting into whatever it is that I'm resisting and before I know it I've eaten it. And often so fast like I'm trying to sneak it by myself. And then all that's left is to cry.

I've never understood the "it's just a lack of willpower" reasoning for saying food can't be addictive. What addiction is overcome by anything other than willpower or force?

Well, for something like a food addiction, will power IS all it takes. Simple, but not easy. It's not like you can completely cut it out of your life like alcohol or hard drugs. Sure, will power is required to quit something like alcohol or drugs, but in some cases, a detox process in a rehab unit is required.

In some cases surgery is required to break a food addiction.

I assume you mean gastric bypass?

That's true in some respect. I admit I don't know a lot about how that works psychologically, but I have seen stories where people get surgery, end up losing weight, and then turn to another substance because they didn't address the issues that caused the addiction in the first place.

Yes, bypass, band, sleeve. Wouldn't this (turning to another addictive substance when food is denied) suggest that the same drive or want that leads to substance abuse leads to food abuse.

It's all about the high.

I concede that eating yourself to a morbidly obese state is just as self-destructive as withdrawing your life savings to buy drugs. I guess the only thing up for debate is what makes an addiction. Is it the addictive personality or the substance?

Individuality, be it personality or genetics, absolutely plays a part. Otherwise everyone that smoked would become addicted. Everyone that drank to excess would become an alcoholic. Everyone that craves sugar would become a binge eater. Etc.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is sitting on the sofa making no effort to burn off calories an addiction? No. Didnt think so.

Food 'addiction' is just a cosy excuse for lifestyles which are stuck in a rut, whether it be through emotion, laziness or complete denial. There are no addictive substances. It is not an addiction. People just need to accept they are overweight of their own accord.
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to an article that explains how some of the additives in food, trigger the same site in the brain that causes euphoria, and the same response that is triggered by meth and heroin... Interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/junk-food_n_4043980.html

That is a statement so misleading it should be a criminal offense. Practically everything activates those areas.

Will there be Hand cuffs involved?

This is what I can say that I know to be real. I don't need a doctor to tell me what is going on.

Whenever I abruptly stop eating junk food and start eating clean or detoxing. The first few days are hell... I am anxious, irritable, emotional, angry, aches, flu like symptoms, my body craves junk super bad..... This is detoxing. I have detoxed from substances before. My body knows what is happening.

People over and over say, "the first few days of the diet are the hardest" .... why do you think? Because we are detoxing from the chemicals in the food that are addictive.

:) Peace.