Quick question about oranges.

Options
13»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I get what you are doing. I am just curious if anyone continues to weigh fruit after they are in maintenance? I think long term, it could get tedious. I'm NOT saying that what you are doing is wrong. I just found that being more relaxed about things has helped me stick with it better, and I've had more success.

I've been in maintenance for 18 months and I still weigh everything except spinach and spices.

It's become a habit. Probably no longer necessary but I don't mind it and it takes 2 seconds.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't get why everybody's getting their panties in a bunch over weighing some fruit.
    While I use average sizes for oranges and bananas I rarely if ever eat all of my daily calories, if I was limited and "needed" those calories I might weigh them just to make sure I was getting everything that I needed.
    Everybody approaches this differently and I try to approach everyday like I'm going to for the rest of my life, weighing fruit isn't something I plan on doing but if someone wants to weigh their fruit so be it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    What about a chicken breast on the bone. I have always just taken for granted that the edible part is the only information on the packaging/MFP. The packaging has a calorie count per serve, has it already taken into account that you are only eating the meat and no the bone.

If you chose an entry for boneless then you'd subtract the weight of the bone. If you chose an entry that says "bone-in" then I'd assume it includes the bone. I always choose the boneless entries and cut off the portion I'm eating and just weigh that.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to peel the orange and then squeeze all the water out of them into a glass to make sure the weighing is accurate. I then drink the water and add it accordingly to MFP's daily water intake. I also own 9 cats.

The scale is a good way to learn how much meat portions weigh, other than that I haven't used it much. It's kind of how you get used to knowing how much a cup is or a tablespoon. Measuring oranges though? Give -yourself- a break. Read a nutrition label and look at the size of the orange. If it's the size of a babies head and taste really bitter, you have a grapefruit ya sillybilly.

Just to make my point:

1 whole grapefruit - 407 g with peel - 171 cals
    1 whole grapefruit peeled and sectioned - 153 g - 65 cals

point made? that's 106 cals - thats a lot for one piece of fruit - and yes its the same grapefruit - I just ate it
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Potatoes are a great example of why I weigh. They'll tell you that an average russett potato is 110 calories. But when I weigh mine they ALWAYS end up being nearer to 300 calories. And that is for what I would consider a small one. There's a lot of size variation.

Or take Avocado-- depending on the size of the fruit and the size of the pit you could have a serious difference in calories between two average fruits.