Help! LowFat is boggling my mind!

Options

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't think not eating sweets, bread, or pasta constitutes an eating disorder lol.
    Look up orthorexia.
    Seriously.
    Maybe not but you're eating way too little in a very unbalanced way and you seem to see no way out of your dilemma.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I'm frustrated! Lol it's like if I ate 3 tbsp of mayo everyday everyone would marvel at my excellent calorie count Lol!

So what's worse? Eating the mayo or coming in short on my calories!??

I wouldn't do mayo - eat REAL food - have a glass of 2% milk - eat an ounce of cheese - have a tblsp of peanut butter on a couple crackers

Ugh. Real food? So what's fake food? Since it's fake I don't have to count it right??

2zz4vbk.gif

So you think 3 tblsp of mayo is better than having something that actually has some nutritional value? Seriously a condiment doesn't count as food to me it's meant to enhance foods not be one. My opinion take offense if you like.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if someone explains how calories and macros are linked?

So the way it works is that each gram of each macro has a certain number of calories.

1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories

That's why you can't have low fat, low carb, lowish protein and meet your calorie goal. Because if you cut out carbs without increasing fat you've just lost those calories. If you decrease from one you have to increase another. That's how it works.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't think not eating sweets, bread, or pasta constitutes an eating disorder lol.
    Look up orthorexia.
    Seriously.

What about not eating fruit, solely because it has carbs and you're afraid of carbs?

Based on the OP's food entries since January14th, not only are there below 1000 cal days (700, 300. 800), but at one point, the OP manually configured the goal to be 1000 cals. Then she talks about food fears and I'm starting to think that these "fears" have really encouraged some serious disordered eating..at the least.

Just going to put this link out here..not putting it to suggest it's full blown, but maybe getting informed or even talking to a counselor might help, OP.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Stap.

Low carb didn't "work" for you if "the pounds came back on".

Eat more.

Carbs.
    Fat.
    Protein.

I don't really care, but eat more. And consider that, if you do the same thing as the last time you lost weight, you will have the same results -- which, by the way, isn't "success".

--Sign me

I lost all my weight 10 years ago, never gained it back and I eat ALL THE FOODS.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Seriously? I'm frustrated! Lol it's like if I ate 3 tbsp of mayo everyday everyone would marvel at my excellent calorie count Lol!

I wouldn't do mayo - eat REAL food - have a glass of 2% milk - eat an ounce of cheese - have a tblsp of peanut butter on a couple crackers

Ugh. Real food? So what's fake food? Since it's fake I don't have to count it right??

2zz4vbk.gif

So you think 3 tblsp of mayo is better than having something that actually has some nutritional value? Seriously a condiment doesn't count as food to me it's meant to enhance foods not be one. My opinion take offense if you like.

Oh good. Yay! I can eat mayo and it doesn't provide any nutritional value whatsover so that means...calories don't count. Although kind of curious as to why there are numbers in the nutirtional value fields of the nutritional label. But no matter, right?

Seriously.

Condiments have calories and are food. I wouldn't tell anyone to eat only mayo, but saying it's "not real" is just :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an eating disorder.

That's what I was thinking, too. :frown:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if someone explains how calories and macros are linked?

So the way it works is that each gram of each macro has a certain number of calories.

1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories

That's why you can't have low fat, low carb, lowish protein and meet your calorie goal. Because if you cut out carbs without increasing fat you've just lost those calories. If you decrease from one you have to increase another. That's how it works.

I just want to QFT --

I didn't read all the comments before my first comment, I'm going to let it stand after investigating -- even though I seriously think you have a problem.

You have to stop doing what you are doing and what you have always done to see new results. What you are doing is unnecessarily restricting yourself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

2zz4vbk.gif

Oh good. Yay! I can eat mayo and it doesn't provide any nutritional value whatsover so that means...calories don't count. Although kind of curious as to why there are numbers in the nutirtional value fields of the nutritional label. But no matter, right?

Seriously.

Condiments have calories and are food. I wouldn't tell anyone to eat only mayo, but saying it's "not real" is just :laugh:

It's "food" but it's not doing someone much good when they have virtually no sources of quality micronutrients in their diet. I wouldn't recommend anyone "hit their macros" by eating nothing but whey powder and olive oil. OP has calories to fill, and mayonnaise is not the way to do it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

2zz4vbk.gif

Seriously.

where's the eye rolling emoticon? people who have to take every comment so literally are just looking for debates so debate away :yawn:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

2zz4vbk.gif

Seriously.

It's "food" but it's not doing someone much good when they have virtually no sources of quality micronutrients in their diet. I wouldn't recommend anyone "hit their macros" by eating nothing but whey powder and olive oil. OP has calories to fill, and mayonnaise is not the way to do it.

Not arguing that at all. Just really dislike the whole "real foods" thing.
  • jaimedeline77
    jaimedeline77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Golly,

I feel very attacked!

I was on low carb, was successful. Gained the weight back with junk food. Tried several time to lose again on low carb but it just wouldn't work. Lol? Why? Don't know. But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that low carb isn't very healthy. So.. JUST three weeks ago I decided to be reasonable and think long term. Eat healthy, drink water, and exercise! I've done exceptionally well!

I've got 20 pounds to go.. But within that loss I have to learn certain things. And you bet it's hard to get carbs out of my head lol!

So, I decided to do four weeks making healthy decisions from the low carb menu but watch my calories. Next week I'm upping my carbs. At the moment I have just been concentrating on hitting that 1200 calories after tossing my high fat diet idea! Lol had no problem hitting calories on low carb! Ugh.. Basically? Doing low carb but healthier?

Now? I'm one week to attacking carbs! I don't want bread, pasta, or starchy veggies.. Because it's realistic for me. These are filling things and easy things... I will surely give up my new habits for what's easy! They are good favorites too that won't be gone forever.

So.. I'm looking at the fat and carbs.. Wondering? What carbs can I eat realistically that don't have much volume yet have the calories? Why can't I explain lol?? If I cut the fat which I can totally do, my calories drop yet my hunger doesn't grow? So?

How do I make up the tiny by volume fat calories..., with tiny by volume protein or carb calories?

I will figure it out. I just thought there would be an easy answer here? But that might only come with a well explained question. I do thank you guys for trying to help. But I will admit there's a lot of assumptions here. And it felt very confrontational which my sissy self tries to avoid.

Whoever said oats? Thank you! I'd forgotten oats and love them.. They are super filling tho lol! But it can so help me with my pathetic breakfast lol!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I was on low carb, was successful.

No, you weren't. You were not successful. You were the opposite of successful. You failed in your "low carb" attempt because you gained all the weight back.

Until you accept that "low carb" totally failed you will be hard-pressed to take any significant step forward.

You are still doing low carb. You are doing very, very low carb to the point of not being able to consume enough calories and developing an irrational fear of healthy foods like fruits.
    Now? I'm one week to attacking carbs! I don't want bread, pasta, or starchy veggies.. Because it's realistic for me. These are filling things and easy things... I will surely give up my new habits for what's easy! They are good favorites too that won't be gone forever.

Not sure what this means. So what if it's easy? It doesn't need to be hard. Why make it harder than it has to be?

You need to learn to eat foods you actually like. If you continue this highly restrictive eating mode, refusing to eat foods you actually like, then eventually your willpower will give in and you will fall back into old eating habits. You need to learn to eat food you enjoy in a healthy, moderated way. Being deathly afraid of a banana or piece of bread for the rest of your life is not sustainable.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    You couldn't be more wrong and you are being very assuming. But perhaps this is your way of helping. So thank you!

I was on low carb, was successful.

No, you weren't. You were not successful. You were the opposite of successful. You failed in your "low carb" attempt because you gained all the weight back.

Until you accept that "low carb" totally failed you will be hard-pressed to take any significant step forward.

You are still doing low carb. You are doing very, very low carb to the point of not being able to consume enough calories and developing an irrational fear of healthy foods like fruits.

Not sure what this means. So what if it's easy? It doesn't need to be hard. Why make it harder than it has to be?

You need to learn to eat foods you actually like. If you continue this highly restrictive eating mode, refusing to eat foods you actually like, then eventually your willpower will give in and you will fall back into old eating habits. You need to learn to eat food you enjoy in a healthy, moderated way. Being deathly afraid of a banana or piece of bread for the rest of your life is not sustainable.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    the most calorically dense carb I can think of is sugar. With your current lack of micronutrients, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd probably just eat some regular starch vegetables or some bread and call it a day. That may seem too easy though?
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You can have pasta on a low carb diet as long as it is whole wheat pasta. The whole idea that pasta is bad for you comes from "white" processed carb like white bread and pasta, white sugar. Try just eliminating white foods that are carb and adding in your whole wheat at least a couple of times a week. I got a big jump in weight loss when I eliminated white out of my diet. Since then it has ben pretty steady at 1-2 pounds a week. I also try to stay at least at 1000-1200 net calories daily even though I am eating almost 1700 calories. There is no way I can eat another bite at the end of my day. I am exercising 40-45 minutes daily but do not plan on giving that up no how no way.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My Macros are 20-20-60, with the 60% being fat. Working for me.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    the most calorically dense carb I can think of is sugar. With your current lack of micronutrients, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd probably just eat some regular starch vegetables or some bread and call it a day. That may seem too easy though?

Lol... It's looking that way for sure!

I'll figure it out. I just need to go back to the carb basics. I never really learned the good from the bad on carbs.. Just numbers really.
    I'll go study up.. Then introduce some good ones as I continue to up my carbs to normal. It's a slow process but I have nothing but time. My fiber is low.. Duh my carbs are low. So there's a clue right! Look for those high fiber carbs.

I'm going thru diet conversion and I'm certain it looks crazy and why I'm going crazy crunching numbers! It appears I just need to learn.

And I will! I'm a determined mother of 2... Looking to make a lifestyle not a diet :) I'm just trying to build a foundation right now :)

Thanks.
  • jaimedeline77
    Options
    My Macros are 20-20-60, with the 60% being fat. Working for me.

Mines working for me too. I'm just looking ahead to be realistic when I hit goal. I'm not far. I don't wanna just get there and screw myself over like I did last time. Lol. Apparently it wasn't just baby weight and diet wasn't just temporary lol!

I'm trying!