Confession: I'm a slow runner

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I love to run, it makes me feel better, and it's the only sport that I've ever selected to do on my own, stuck with, and really enjoyed (other than dance when I was younger... but there's always been the argument that dance isn't really considered a sport and more of an art... but I digress).

I'm slow, and by slow I mean I average around 10:30 a mile and the fastest I've ever run was at 9:00 per mile and that was really pushing myself. I do intervals, I do hill repeats, I cross train, I can kickbox like you wouldn't believe and I weight train 2-3x per week. I'm strong, I can squat a decent amount of weight and I can finally do a pull up without help!

My blood pressure and resting heart rate are both at athlete levels. I've completed my first half marathon last year and have completed two tough mudders and a smattering of smaller races.

I know I'm a runner, and I know that it's ok to be slow. And some people just aren't built for speed. I can go long... it just takes a while. I guess my point of this post is to let people know it's ok to be a slow runner. Being slow does not equal being out of shape or a lack of fitness at all.

I've had other runners comment on how I should be running faster than that and I must not be pushing myself... which is not true. I spend enough time rushing around and doing everything at warp speed. My run is my time to just be and check in with myself. And even when I do push the pace, it's still what someone would consider slow, but as long as it's challenging to me and I'm reaping the benefits of it who cares?

Here is how I handle if I ever fall in this sink hole - and I do a lot of times.... I say to myself "At least I can run. At least I have 2 legs. And I'm a lot fortunate than those who don't. At least I can afford to say I want to run faster. And I'm lot fortunate than those who wished they could run."

Hope this helps you. It helps me.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been running for multiple years, and my pace can vary widely - but I guess if I found an average, it would probably be (depending on the distance) between 9:45-10:00. The best pace I have had in a 10 mile race was 8:57. During runs during the week, when I am going maybe 4-6 miles, I might be running 9:15-9:45 per mile. So, I think your pace is NOT slow - you are doing a great job. I am having to take a 6 week reprieve from running due to surgery, but I am hoping that when I can start up again and start training again for a half-marathon, that my pace will improve this summer as I am only two lbs away from my weight when I did my 8:57 pace, and I think being a bit lighter may help improve my speed. I have not tried some of the things I know you are supposed to do to improve speed, such as speed intervals etc, and I think I will try that this spring/summer. You sound like you do an awesome job with your training and running.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I consistently run 12+ minute miles, and the only time my pace ever increases is at shorter distance races (like a 2 mile or a 5K), or during a speedwork workout (but even then, a 10 minute mile would be a feat for me). I've run many half marathons and one full marathon at 12+ minutes per mile for the entire distance. I used to get bummed out about my time, but I always aim for a PR, no matter how small of a PR it is. I just remind myself that at least I'm running... no matter how slow I am lol.
  • kayveebee7
    kayveebee7 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you call yourself slow, then I must be a turtle. I happy turtle, and accomplished turtle, but a turtle. I'm very proud of my 14 minute miles and will keep trudging along and I don't stop. I say this to say....you aren't slow.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol 10:30 is slow?! My new PR last night was 11:33....

Seriously, I'd trip an old lady with a walker if I could maintain 10:30 over a half mary.

OP - what's your 5k PR? I've read consistently that if you can have a good consistent time at longer distances, you can blaze a 5k.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I hope I can one day do a 10 minute mile, heck I'm delighted to finish. Ran my first 5K on 2/8 in 34.12 and was tickled to death. Last night I finished the 10K trainer program and it took 72 minutes but again I was beside myself with the accomplishment. Run for you and nobody else.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable at an 11:30 mile, I can maintain sub 11 min/miles for just 2 miles then I'm toast. My half pace is expected to be about 13:45/miles. I'm totally okay with this. No one knows what I've been through, and how great it is that I can even run. I'm totally fine with being slow, at least I'm running!
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would not say that it is slow. I'm doing a 12:00min mile and I'm fine with that. I figure the more I run and whatnot I'll speed up. Just complete my first milestone of doing a 7k/5k without walking.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I'm with you op! I'm slow and short. I do a ten km once a year, otherwise I'm a five km girl. Many people around me have questioned why I don't run faster or do a marathon. I like this. It's just for me, like you said.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner. when I run 4 miles i average 11min and some change per mile. but I run and that is what's important and should be to you too.
  • KelARita7
    KelARita7 Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Humm, I would consider that pretty fast actually, but I'm a nice 12 minute miler right now, maybe one day I'll be as fast as you! To each his own, if you are happy thats what matters.

This is exactly what I would have said... :) You sound pretty speedy to me...and I am right about 12 min miles. My sister said I was slow. Oh well, at least I do it. haha. She is more in the 9-10min mile range.
  • Amy1N
    Amy1N Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm coming off an injury and I can't wait to get back to running 10:30 miles! That's not slow at all friend! I'm between 11:30 and 12:00 minute miles right now.

Also, a 10:30 minute mile and a 8:00 minute mile is still a mile. You're doing great work!!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I think you are doing great. I run a 13 minute mile and a 5K in 38-40 minutes. I'm happy with that, just because I can do it. I don't care how fast I am. I don't care if other people are ahead of me, I'm just happy to be able to do it and that's good enough for me. I have never been an athlete or participated in sports so this is a major accomplishment for me by itself.

Keep up the great work!!!!
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see that I'm not alone! I'm a slow runner, 12 m.m. is great for me, but I'm usually around 13. I hate talking about running because I always feel like since I'm not doing 8, 9, or 10 minute miles, that I'm not a "real" runner. It's nice to see others posting their "slow" mile times!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run for the exercise and the "high" and usually hit around 10 min. Fast is 8 and slow is 12 for me. I have found that I am slower when I run on an empty stomach which is every early morning run. On the weekends I eat and run about a half hour later, I get my best times then. I hope to work on lengthening my stride for the time when I enter my first race. If you run for the love of running, you are a runner!
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i absolutely agree: it's ok to be a slow runner. i ran for years in the past and was never fast. but i did lose weight and keep it off and was as fit as i've ever been........fast forward a couple of decades and i no longer have the knees for running. make sure you try to find turf to run on as cement will break you down!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eh, i average about a high 9 minute mile when i'm training.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Im really slow then...

But thats ok with me.........:flowerforyou:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

A mile is a mile no matter the pace.

yep! :drinker:
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What the?! I think I'm the slowest here... I was jumping up and down on Sunday because I was able to shed 1 minute off my pace from my old pace when I ran a 5K last November... I'm at a 14 minute mile! :indifferent: I'm working on it though...