Confession: I'm a slow runner

Options

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I run slow too--but if you take the advice of Carson (from the Long Distance Runner's group) and I have, the pace will increase with increased mileage.

My first 5K, about 3 weeks into my running "thing" I did in 43:28- it was a combination of run/walk because I was still quite deconditioned.

My PR 2 weeks ago was 27:50 for a 5K. I don't do speed work, although I wanted to see how fast I could do the mile a few weeks ago (8:55). I have just slowly been increasing how far I run.

My normal long runs are at a 12:30 pace (I am up around 7-8 miles now), and my shorter runs are about 10:30 pace (1-5 miles).

I want to run for a long time, so speed isn't much of a concern for me, but I like it when I CAN go faster--I know that I will never be competitive in races, but that is ok.

I run so I can eat!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of you should be calling yourself a 'slow' runner... if you are out there putting in the miles then you are a runner no matter how fast or slow you are and unless you are an elite runner there will pretty much always be someone faster and maybe someone slower. They call it a PR for a reason - it is your personal record, your improvement, you are doing it!
  • DOVE437
    DOVE437 Posts: 15
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I'm also a slow runner. In fact, you would beat me :) My fastest 5k was finished at 34:56; under 35 min! Yay!!!! That was my goal. While I'd *like* to be quicker, I'm much happier finishing my long runs feeling accomplished and not like I'm going to pass out. The longest I've gone is 10 miles, so Cheers to the half. I've done several Warrior Dashes, a couple of 10k's, and have the Spartan Military Sprint (4 miles at Fort Carson AFB) on May 3rd. Which I'm NOT prepared for at all.

So keep it up! By loving it and sticking with it you are doing your body more good than trying to run a 7 min mile and giving up.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    The only slow runners are those not running.

I run somewhere between 9 and 10 per mile. Best ever is 8:57. Pretty happy since I can remember barely being able to walk a mile in under 20 minutes.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    So funny that I read this post today since just last night I was having trouble sleeping , I was thinking to myself that today I am going to go for a run and try to do a 12 minute mile . hahaha.I too can do it on a treadmill because I can see it and it pushes me when I know I only have .3 left ect... so I was mentally thinking about where I would start and where I thought a mile would be so I would check at that point on my phone to see how far I made it and how fast ..

I am pretty slow most runs are 13 minute miles . I have done a 10 minute mile but felt sick after so I don't like that at all. I am training for a 5 k in June its the Mudd obstacle course and I really can't wait ! I don't care how fast I can do it as long as I finish .It will be my first one .

You are doing great ,I wouldn't worry about being slow at all :drinker:
  • DOVE437
    DOVE437 Posts: 15
    Options
    We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances."

Excellent :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    How I wish I could be a slow runner..

In my teens I was a sprinter. And a quick one at that. Loved that I could go faster than most. But when I sprinted, I took a deep breath and I was gone like a rocket..

Now, I'm well, well past my teens!! I am trying to get back to running. I want to run 5k's and enjoy them.. Well, its killing me.. I cannot get out of the habit of taking off too fast and being absolutely tired out in less than 10 minutes.

I did one 5k where I managed to lock in behind a lovely lady who paced herself fantastically. I stuck to her like glue and managed the 5k.. But on my own, outdoors, I just find it so so hard to go slow enough to make the distance. On a treadmill, I can do it, purely because it paces me..

So being a slow runner is my goal.. Someday I'll figure out some way of slowing myself down and actually being able to pace myself to run a distance. Not speed!!

I want what you have!! The ability to run slow.. I may beat you over 100 metres, but you'd beat me hands down over 5k.. More than likely, I wouldn't finish!!

Buy a heart rate monitor! I have mine set to beep at me when my HR drops too low or goes too high during a run. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm slow too! I used to be much faster, but that was 10 years ago and 10 years off from any exercise. Since I started back about 6 months ago, my time while in an aerobic zone has dropped 2 minutes per mile, so I'm happy with that. I'm still slow though. :laugh:
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You run for you and that is all that matters! I am not built for speed either. I did track in 7th grade and they wouldn't let me sprint. I had to do the endurance part, but that was okay. I will begin running again very soon and will probably be more like 10-12 minutes per mile myself. But that is better than what I would have done if I tried it over the Fall.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. I feel exactly the same way! I'm in the best shape of my life right now, and re-learned to love jogging last summer. I'm relatively slow compared to friends I see post on MFP (10.5 was my average by the end of the summer), but I don't care either! I love the beautiful trails I run on and I love that my children ride their bikes w/ me and we talk (I mostly just listen and grunt). Thanks for posting!
  • AstorMiles
    AstorMiles Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Amen to everything you just said! I consider my slow runs a form of meditation, and, having done them almost daily for over a decade, I can honestly say that I am a better person for them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Hey my mile is slow enough that my cross country running 13 year old runs BACKWARDS when she runs with me LOL I'm happy with my 10 to 11 min mile. Though Sunday I let her set the pace...my first 9 min mile run :-)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. That would have been slow for me at your age, but now I'm approaching 50 it's downright zippy. You're doing great!
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for your post. I am in TOTAL agreement with you....your run is your run, your time is your time, which is great by the way. Those who say you should be running faster, shame on them! Is there some definition in the dictionary somewhere that specifically says how fast you need to run? NO! :-)

I'm running in my first half marathon this Sunday!! I've been training for it the past 12 weeks, using the Higdon's 1/2 marathan training for novice's. I started at 5.0 and I was able to get up to 5.5. However, I feel the most comfortable at the 5.1-5.2 pace. Endurance is key for me, speed is not. I'm in it to finish it and prove to myself that I can do it, not to win it :-)

It sounds like you have hurdled some tough obstacles. Keep up the good work!! Can I send you a friend request?
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you. I'm between 10-12 minutes per mile (depending on how I'm feeling and miles being run). I would love to be able to go back to running a 9 minute mile. I'll get there some day.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    Options
    whether its 6 minutes or 60 minutes, a mile is still a mile. and you're running laps around everyone else on the couch! Do what makes you happy and enjoy! :bigsmile:
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    A 10-11min mile surely means you get more time out there with your own thoughts if you have a set mileage so that can only be a good thing right ? Speed is great but hey it's not the be all and end all, should I be quicker - yes, could I be quicker - yes, when I see other quicker do I wish that was me - yes sometimes but am I content running at my speed - yes or I wouldn't keep doing it.

Good post, although we already knew in our minds what you were saying sometimes you need to see it written down to truly believe/register it so cheers for that.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wait a tick... if my average pace is 10:34, does this mean I'm also a runner?
    Not ready to own that!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a heckuva lot slower than that! Own it.