Crystal Light

Options
Is Crystal Light bad for you? I have been substituting it for soda for a little bit. If it's fine for you, are you getting the same benefits from it as you are water? It is just water with a little powder in it, so I'm just curious if I should be drinking water separately from the Crystal Light. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any answers. :)

Leigh

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, it's fine. I usually supplement my water with MIO+ or something every day.

Actually, soda isn't "bad" for you either if enjoyed in moderation.
  • leighkbayles
    leighkbayles Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's my problem with soda, though. If I drink one, it's over. There will be at least four more after the initial one. :P

Thanks for your reply! :)

Leigh
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is Crystal Light bad for you? I have been substituting it for soda for a little bit. If it's fine for you, are you getting the same benefits from it as you are water? It is just water with a little powder in it, so I'm just curious if I should be drinking water separately from the Crystal Light. Does that make sense?

Leigh

It's mostly water....so it counts as water. Not much of an improvement over soda though....same fake sugar. It has too much citric acid for me. I still have 1 diet soda every day.

Have you tried dressing plain water up with mint leaves, or ginger slices, or a few mashed berries? I find I drink more water if I put a Brita filter pitcher in the fridge...so good cold.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal Light all the time. Recently, I have switched to Lipton Green tea and honey on the go packages. Not sure if any better but the taste is way better. I also only use 1 to go pack in 60oz of water so mine is way more diluted than packaging suggests.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have to say, when it comes to low-cal, summertime drinking, crystal light makes an excellent mixer for vodka!
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. I am sure it isn't ideal for you to use the crystal light with the artificial sweeteners and god knows how many more chemicals but if they help you kick soda it is a step in the right direction, as time goes just mix in more and more pure water. You can also try water infused with fruit or mint leaves.
  • allisonbmerten
    allisonbmerten Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light contains artificial sweeteners, which aren't great for you. If you're replacing 1-2 glasses of water with it, it's probably fine. I wouldn't replace all your water with it, though. Have you tried flavored seltzer water? It doesn't have the super sweetness you get from CL, but it does have good flavor.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have to say, when it comes to low-cal, summertime drinking, crystal light makes an excellent mixer for vodka!

^ yes ^

My aunt likes to make Sea Breeze with it instead of juice to keep the calories and sugars down. xD
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Leigh

I've heard that 100% of Crystal Light drinkers die eventually, something to consider
  • ElectricDame
    Options
    If you are looking for sweet + carbonation + zero cals, try drinking sparking mineral water (seltzer water) with lime and splenda. It's my favorite.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a lemonade crystal light (or, I get the store brand) into hot water and add a little cinnamon. Helps to warm me up on a cold day, and we've had many of them this year.
  • leighkbayles
    Options
    Agc67...funny. I like you.
  • leighkbayles
    Options
    Pearsquared, I love your Pikachu progress meter! :)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. I am sure it isn't ideal for you to use the crystal light with the artificial sweeteners and god knows how many more chemicals but if they help you kick soda it is a step in the right direction, as time goes just mix in more and more pure water. You can also try water infused with fruit or mint leaves.

^^^^this
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was using vitamin water (slightly less chemical-y) to replace soda. I'm having a gastric sleeve done in may and won't be able to have soda.

But Vitamin Water is also costing us like 60 dollars a week, so I too am switching to crystal light :P
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

YES!!!!

I am hoping Chicago gets its crap together so I can start enjoying one of these outside!!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm a soda addict (Coke Zero), but am replacing soda with sparkling water + a little 100% cranberry juice. 15 calories per ounce, and it only takes about 2 ounces to nicely flavor 20 ounces of water.
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with Crystal Light and Mio. I know it sounds strange to some, but I hate the way water tastes (ok haters, go ahead..."Water doesn't taste like anything!" :laugh: ).

But then I started to pay more attention to what I was putting into my body and I realized that all of those water enhancers have artificial sugars in them. I quit drinking them entirely.

Instead I put a lemon wedge in my water! It's so refreshing! I've also done orange and raspberry, but lemon is my favorite.

Like others suggested, flavored seltzer is a good option too. They've come up with some really great flavors lately. Just make sure you watch out for artificial sweeteners in there too.

However, it's a matter of personal preference. If you like Crystal Light and don't care about the artificial sugars then drink it. Anything that gets you to drink more water! Good luck!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Leigh

I've heard that 100% of Crystal Light drinkers die eventually, something to consider
    QFT! :explode:
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

^^^^this
    Cucumber slices and a sprig of mint = perfect summertime sippin', and I *hate* water. ;)

(Seriously, I hate water.. I wish I could at least like tea, but it's a wonderful-smelling lie, LIE I TELL YOU.)